BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

12-27-2018, 04:26 PM   #1
BDG671
Guam
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Hello fellow enthusiasts and friends,

I'm fairly new to the forums and posting on forums in general. So I guess this is my formal hello! Anyway to whom this may concern, I was writing today to talk about my used 2013 F10 M5. Bought it about 2 weeks ago and I LOVE IT! All that aside I have unfortunate news.... drivetrain malfunction. This happened about 3 days ago on Christmas Eve then again (twice) on Christmas Day. Wasn't pushing the car hard at all. The first time it happened my uncle was driving to try out the car. He owns a M235i and wanted to test drive my car. We properly warmed the car up and took it on a small stroll. Maybe 10 mins into our drive he decided to give it a nice pull on 3rd gear. Mind you this was on automatic mode at maybe 75% throttle. Felt the car kind of stutter (thought it was traction control) then the DTML came on. We pulled over then did the restart process. After restarting, the car ran fine no issues. Next day we're leaving town on a 140+ mile road trip back home. Maybe almost 20mins away from home I try pass up a couple cars. I put maybe 75% throttle then same thing. Small stutter then DTML. I exit the freeway then stop the car and do the restart procedure. Lights go away and system check is fine. Almost about home getting off the freeway I give it a little push to see what happens. Then again DTML but this time with CEL and it stayed on. I perform restart again and DTML goes away but not the CEL. Now I have the car at BMW running a diagnostic test.

I did purchase this car with SAFE-GUARD platinum service contract. So it'll be good to see if it all works out. Wish me luck!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 08:46 PM   #2
pcohen15
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5, Singapore Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDG671 View Post

I'm fairly new to the forums and posting on forums in general. So I guess this is my formal hello! Anyway to whom this may concern, I was writing today to talk about my used 2013 F10 M5. Bought it about 2 weeks ago and I LOVE IT! All that aside I have unfortunate news.... drivetrain malfunction. This happened about 3 days ago on Christmas Eve then again (twice) on Christmas Day. Wasn't pushing the car hard at all. The first time it happened my uncle was driving to try out the car. He owns a M235i and wanted to test drive my car. We properly warmed the car up and took it on a small stroll. Maybe 10 mins into our drive he decided to give it a nice pull on 3rd gear. Mind you this was on automatic mode at maybe 75% throttle. Felt the car kind of stutter (thought it was traction control) then the DTML came on. We pulled over then did the restart process. After restarting, the car ran fine no issues. Next day we're leaving town on a 140+ mile road trip back home. Maybe almost 20mins away from home I try pass up a couple cars. I put maybe 75% throttle then same thing. Small stutter then DTML. I exit the freeway then stop the car and do the restart procedure. Lights go away and system check is fine. Almost about home getting off the freeway I give it a little push to see what happens. Then again DTML but this time with CEL and it stayed on. I perform restart again and DTML goes away but not the CEL. Now I have the car at BMW running a diagnostic test. Wish me luck!!!

I did purchase this car with SAFE-GUARD platinum service contract. So it'll be good to see if it all works out. Wish me luck
Please post the results of the dealership's diagnosis when available. Good luck.
      12-27-2018, 09:27 PM   #3
BDG671
Guam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcohen15 View Post
Quote:

I'm fairly new to the forums and posting on forums in general. So I guess this is my formal hello! Anyway to whom this may concern, I was writing today to talk about my used 2013 F10 M5. Bought it about 2 weeks ago and I LOVE IT! All that aside I have unfortunate news.... drivetrain malfunction. This happened about 3 days ago on Christmas Eve then again (twice) on Christmas Day. Wasn't pushing the car hard at all. The first time it happened my uncle was driving to try out the car. He owns a M235i and wanted to test drive my car. We properly warmed the car up and took it on a small stroll. Maybe 10 mins into our drive he decided to give it a nice pull on 3rd gear. Mind you this was on automatic mode at maybe 75% throttle. Felt the car kind of stutter (thought it was traction control) then the DTML came on. We pulled over then did the restart process. After restarting, the car ran fine no issues. Next day we're leaving town on a 140+ mile road trip back home. Maybe almost 20mins away from home I try pass up a couple cars. I put maybe 75% throttle then same thing. Small stutter then DTML. I exit the freeway then stop the car and do the restart procedure. Lights go away and system check is fine. Almost about home getting off the freeway I give it a little push to see what happens. Then again DTML but this time with CEL and it stayed on. I perform restart again and DTML goes away but not the CEL. Now I have the car at BMW running a diagnostic test. Wish me luck!!!

I did purchase this car with SAFE-GUARD platinum service contract. So it'll be good to see if it all works out. Wish me luck
Please post the results of the dealership's diagnosis when available. Good luck.
Thanks man I will try to keep you guys updated as much as possible. They couldn't figure out what happen today. So they kept it till tomorrow. Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 09:07 AM   #4
M5avage
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 COMP M5

Congrats on the car. Hopefully everything works out. Keep us posted
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 08:52 PM   #5
JtheW
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 m850gc

I had this happen to me a couple of months ago. I’ve got catless DPs and a tune from ESS. After I had meth installed I got a dt malfunction when I got on it to pass a car in traffic.. I was in sport plus engine and trans. The shop adjusted when the meth sprayed and also changed my plugs and coil packs and that helped. Then took it on a drive up in the mountains and i kept getting dt malfunction. The shop then adjusted the gap on the plugs to a smaller gap and it’s been perfect since then.
I’m not sure if any of this is helpful to you but I hope you get it all straightened out so that you can fully enjoy the car.
      12-28-2018, 09:01 PM   #6
BDG671
Guam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtheW View Post
I had this happen to me a couple of months ago. I've got catless DPs and a tune from ESS. After I had meth installed I got a dt malfunction when I got on it to pass a car in traffic.. I was in sport plus engine and trans. The shop adjusted when the meth sprayed and also changed my plugs and coil packs and that helped. Then took it on a drive up in the mountains and i kept getting dt malfunction. The shop then adjusted the gap on the plugs to a smaller gap and it's been perfect since then.
I'm not sure if any of this is helpful to you but I hope you get it all straightened out so that you can fully enjoy the car.
Good to know! I'm completely stock with mine.

I got the news from the dealership today. They said that there was a misfire on cylinder 4. They recommended that I change the spark plugs and coils since I'm at about 58k miles. There was also a leak found on the turbo coolant lines(?). Here's the crazy part.... warranty doesn't cover the coolant lines and will only cover coils. NOT spark plugs since they are considered a regular service item. Definitely going to take this back to the dealership I bought the car from and work something out with them. On to the next day. Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 09:24 PM   #7
JtheW
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 m850gc

Good to hear!
      12-29-2018, 01:32 AM   #8
1MEANM6
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 GranCoupe

Same thing happen to me but mine was the high pressure fuel pump that failed, dealership replaced coils,spark plugs and fuel pump under warranty
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 01:35 AM   #9
BDG671
Guam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MEANM6 View Post
Same thing happen to me but mine was the high pressure fuel pump that failed, dealership replaced coils,spark plugs and fuel pump under warranty
Yes I'm reading more about the fuel pump going out. I'll stick with changing the spark plugs and coils. Found on the fine print for my warranty that turbo/turbo parts and "hard line" are covered. So I'll get back to my warranty about that. Thanks for all the input guys. Much love!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 01:40 AM   #10
BDG671
Guam
Rep

Invoice from LB BMW. Misfire from cylinder 4, coolant leak on turbo lines.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 02:23 AM   #11
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue

When they say turbo reservoir tank empty, are they referring to the small one on top of the engine? If they are then you have another leak as the 4 turbo coolant lines run from the main cooling system.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 03:25 AM   #12
Craze
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5 E60, M5 F10, X5 50i

Turbo coolant lines are a recall and free
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 03:45 AM   #13
BDG671
Guam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwaynos View Post
When they say turbo reservoir tank empty, are they referring to the small one on top of the engine? If they are then you have another leak as the 4 turbo coolant lines run from the main cooling system.
Honestly I'm not too sure. I'll ask more questions tomorrow morning. Keep you posted.

@Craze where is this information posted?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 09:23 PM   #14
BDG671
Guam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craze View Post
I called the dealership and they said my VIN isn't covered for the coolant lines.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 12:00 AM   #15
BDG671
Guam
Rep

Update:

Happy new year everyone!! My car is now at the original dealership getting the spark plug issue resolved. Hopefully the coolant lines as well! Hope everyone had a safe/fun new year celebration. Cheers!!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 04:56 PM   #16
SuperF10
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Quote:
Update:

Happy new year everyone!! My car is now at the original dealership getting the spark plug issue resolved. Hopefully the coolant lines as well! Hope everyone had a safe/fun new year celebration. Cheers!!!!
I don't know of any aftermarket warranty that's going to cover the actual plug. They will cover the coil, but not the plug. It's fairly typical. Our spark plugs should be replaced at 40k miles. I've had two coils go bad and they replaced them under my AM warranty but I had to fork up for the plugs.
      01-08-2019, 11:44 AM   #17
BDG671
Guam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperF10 View Post
Quote:
Update:

I don't know of any aftermarket warranty that's going to cover the actual plug. They will cover the coil, but not the plug. It's fairly typical. Our spark plugs should be replaced at 40k miles. I've had two coils go bad and they replaced them under my AM warranty but I had to fork up for the plugs.
Yes sir you are correct! I got the car back last Saturday (Jan 5th). She's running great! Feel like changing the spark plug and coil did the job. The guys at major motor cars did me a solid and paid for the repair. I'll be changing out the remaining sparks soon! Would you recommend changing out coils as well? Not sure if they need to be changed out with the spark plugs too...? Thanks man 🙏🙏🙏
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 08:49 PM   #18
SuperF10
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yes sir you are correct! I got the car back last Saturday (Jan 5th). She's running great! Feel like changing the spark plug and coil did the job. The guys at major motor cars did me a solid and paid for the repair. I'll be changing out the remaining sparks soon! Would you recommend changing out coils as well? Not sure if they need to be changed out with the spark plugs too...? Thanks man 🙏🙏🙏
I would recommend it. If you are replacing the coils, the plugs are just one more step and they are not terribly expensive. Do it all at once and then you won't have to worry about it for a long time.
      01-08-2019, 10:03 PM   #19
tqbmw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 550

Quote:
Not a recall a TSB. Also the lines are not covered. It's a heat protection wrap around the lines to prevent the coolant seals from not holding due to high temperature. There are threads on this. If you have a leak, it's not covered. The preventative maintenance is free but even with that the coolant leak still develops a lot of the time. I have this issue now. Lines have been wrapped but it leaked 2 years later anyway from the top under the engine cover. I'm brining it in soon.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 01:43 AM   #20
BDG671
Guam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperF10 View Post
Quote:
I would recommend it. If you are replacing the coils, the plugs are just one more step and they are not terribly expensive. Do it all at once and then you won't have to worry about it for a long time.
Alright. That makes the most sense. First time owning a monster like this. Want to do it right!! Thanks for the input brother!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tqbmw View Post
Quote:
Not a recall a TSB. Also the lines are not covered. It's a heat protection wrap around the lines to prevent the coolant seals from not holding due to high temperature. There are threads on this. If you have a leak, it's not covered. The preventative maintenance is free but even with that the coolant leak still develops a lot of the time. I have this issue now. Lines have been wrapped but it leaked 2 years later anyway from the top under the engine cover. I'm brining it in soon.
Yes yes. I read on the some post about the TSB. Also finding out that isn't covered in USA yet? Anywho I'll be looking into the coolant lines through warranty. I saw that I'm covered for turbo "hardlines". I'm guessing this is referring to coolant lines?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 04:10 PM   #21
SuperF10
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tqbmw View Post
I just went through this. I dropped off my car and they told me $950 for the repair. I had them look up if it had been repaired and it was at 12k miles. I told them that I didn’t want to pay for it and my SA went and talked to the service manager and he good willed the repair at 85% so my total cost ended up being $57.

I also called my AM warranty company and they said that they would cover the turbo coolant lines. That would’ve been $100 if I went through them.
Appreciate 0