M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Cosmetic Maintenance (wash/wax, protection, repairs)

10-16-2012, 10:49 PM   #1
mgallen
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 Azurite Black

Water De-ionizer - Is it worth it?

Does anyone have any experience using a de-ionized water system to rinse your car in order to avoid water spots? I've read conflicting opinions on its effectiveness.

I'm leaning against making the investment, but wanted to hear from others with experience.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 07:40 AM   #2
AGS
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgallen View Post
Does anyone have any experience using a de-ionized water system to rinse your car in order to avoid water spots? I've read conflicting opinions on its effectiveness.

I'm leaning against making the investment, but wanted to hear from others with experience.
I bought this CRSpotless system:

http://www.crspotless.com/de-ionizin...ed-system.html

If I had it to do over again, not sure I would spend the $300. Half the time I end up drying the car off anyway because I need to drive somewhere and I don't want road dust getting picked up by the residual water on the car. If you have the time to let the car sit for a couple hours after you wash it then it may save you 15 to 20 minutes of drying time.
Previous: 2019 Donnington Grey M5 Competition, 2016 Silverstone M5 CP, 2013 Monte Carlo Blue M5 CP (ED on 9/1/12), 2009 Carbon Black M5, 2006 Silverstone M5, 2003 Sterling Grey M5, 2000 Anthracite 540i6, 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9Ltd, 1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD, 1978 Mazda RX-7
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 08:03 AM   #3
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
The trick is to combine this with a blower so you have the car mostly dry but don't need a towel.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 10:55 AM   #4
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
A water deionizer like CR Spotless is actually the primary item I recommend to clients after I've corrected their paint. Removing the drying stage from a maintenance wash is one of the best ways to avoid swirls, as most people swirl their car during drying. I've written a bit about how important 0 PPM water is on my FAQ (look near the bottom):

http://eclipsisna.com/?ena=faq

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGS View Post
I bought this CRSpotless system:

http://www.crspotless.com/de-ionizin...ed-system.html

If I had it to do over again, not sure I would spend the $300. Half the time I end up drying the car off anyway because I need to drive somewhere and I don't want road dust getting picked up by the residual water on the car. If you have the time to let the car sit for a couple hours after you wash it then it may save you 15 to 20 minutes of drying time.
The car doesn't need to sit for several hours to dry if you're using 0 PPM water. If you let the car dry under the sun, 15 minutes of drying time should suffice.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 09:04 PM   #5
mgallen
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the insight. I read your website, and you recommend a 3-step process (water softener, reverse osmosis, then DI water). The CR Spotless is DI water only, so do I need to also buy the water softener and reverse osmosis system in order to get spot-free water? Seems like a lot of steps.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 06:19 PM   #6
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgallen View Post
Thanks for the insight. I read your website, and you recommend a 3-step process (water softener, reverse osmosis, then DI water). The CR Spotless is DI water only, so do I need to also buy the water softener and reverse osmosis system in order to get spot-free water? Seems like a lot of steps.
The 3-step filtration is for efficiency. You can get spot free water w/ a RO system or DI system on their own, but when you combine each of them, each offers something that the others don't. For someone like me that details a lot of cars, the cost is worth it, but I think for the average user, it's overkill. Stick to CR Spotless, it's more than worth the cost.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 08:59 PM   #7
mgallen
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipsisNA View Post
The 3-step filtration is for efficiency. You can get spot free water w/ a RO system or DI system on their own, but when you combine each of them, each offers something that the others don't. For someone like me that details a lot of cars, the cost is worth it, but I think for the average user, it's overkill. Stick to CR Spotless, it's more than worth the cost.
Excellent. Thanks for the advice.
Appreciate 0