M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

04-01-2013, 02:04 PM   #23
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Hahaha

With the turbo car you could do something similar, but just with the addition of a external wastegate exhaust. This takes exhaust from before the turbos and leads/dumps that directly out when maximum boost is reached. That way you get unmuffled, "unturbo'd" exhaust straight out

Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 02:09 PM   #24
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
Hahaha

With the turbo car you could do something similar, but just with the addition of a external wastegate exhaust. This takes exhaust from before the turbos and leads/dumps that directly out when maximum boost is reached. That way you get unmuffled, "unturbo'd" exhaust straight out
Oh jeez, now that would be a project! Lol!

Last edited by RPiM5; 04-01-2013 at 11:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 02:15 PM   #25
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Yeah, definitely and not very practical or economical. Maybe for a extreme version with new turbos etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 02:21 PM   #26
akh23456
All I do is Win... Eat Race Sleep
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Range 2011 M3 2019 600lt

Garage List
that sounds so mean...congrats man.

Rs7 : 10.4 133.50 with a 1.7 60ft Toyo R888
F10 M5: 11.308 131.96 with a 1.9 60ft Street Tires
E90 M3: 11.2 126.7 with a 1.8 60ft Street Tires
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 02:22 PM   #27
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

Badazz d. I need those roads in h town. Instead I have to drive above Sam Antonio. Exhaust is crazy.

Country run
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 02:52 PM   #28
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

Sounds good. I kept waiting for you to mash the throttle at the apexes.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 03:25 PM   #29
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
Sounds good. I kept waiting for you to mash the throttle at the apexes.
Haha, I know. That mountain road I was on is all down slope. It's a little scary mashing the throttle after every turn with my M5 making 512tq at the wheels and accelerating so fast before the next turn comes up. Lol! I was taking it quite easy in the video. I plan on making some more videos in the future, which will include one going up the mountain where it's a lot easier to go full throttle out of the turns without gaining too much speed.

Ok, I'll spill the beans on my future projects: I intend on making at least 3 more videos with the RPi GTM:

- Another Urban Assault Video: with mostly revving and catching people's reactions to the loudness of the exhaust on the street. The other week I actually made a lady scream! Lol!

- A Highway Assault Video: In and out of traffic with the GTM.

- And a Tunnel Assault Video: Massive tunnels and highway underpasses with the GTM.

I'll get started on them when I get back from ///M School!

Exciting I know!

Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 03:40 PM   #30
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Haha, I know. That mountain road I was on is all down slope. It's a little scary mashing the throttle after every turn with my M5 making 512tq at the wheels and accelerating so fast before the next turn comes up. Lol! I was taking it quite easy in the video. I plan on making some more videos in the future, which will include one going up the mountain where it's a lot easier to go full throttle out of the turns without gaining too much speed.

Ok, I'll spill the beans on my future projects: I intend on making at least 3 more videos with the RPi GTM:

- Another Urban Assault Video: with mostly revving and catching people's reactions to the loudness of the exhaust on the street. The other week I actually made a lady scream! Lol!

- And a Tunnel Assault Video: Massive tunnels and highway underpasses with the GTM.

I'll get started on them when I get back from ///M School!

Exciting I know!
i understand. Not cool to wrap a 6 digit car around a rock or railing.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 05:26 PM   #31
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Quote:

Exciting I know!
You are an enthusiastic M owner no doubt, but would you consider it rude of me to ask how old you are....? I'm an old fart and perhaps have lost my perspective of what is fun these days, but some of my young motorcycle friends sometimes enjoy doing what you're describing, but on two wheels, and they're in their early 20s. Motorcycles have been clawing their way up from a bad reputation for decades, and it always worries me when kids assault the public on the highway as a fun diversion for themselves. I'd hate to find a common reaction develop from cars being overtaken by a BMW on the freeway to slow and keep pace with the lane next to them so the BMW sits frustrated behind. Or worse, a driver in a large, old, SUV with more rust than sheet metal and a bad memory of some BMW weaving in and out of traffic and blowing by her at Mach 2 last week. She might think it fun to pull in to your lane just ahead of you to see how far back the crumple zone goes on a BMW. Drivers open doors on motorcycles, it might be even more drastic with a car. A little courtesy can go a long way. Perhaps you are just baiting us, waiting for a reaction like mine.......and really won't be doing those things. I hope so!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 06:34 PM   #32
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used2be View Post
You are an enthusiastic M owner no doubt, but would you consider it rude of me to ask how old you are....? I'm an old fart and perhaps have lost my perspective of what is fun these days, but some of my young motorcycle friends sometimes enjoy doing what you're describing, but on two wheels, and they're in their early 20s. Motorcycles have been clawing their way up from a bad reputation for decades, and it always worries me when kids assault the public on the highway as a fun diversion for themselves. I'd hate to find a common reaction develop from cars being overtaken by a BMW on the freeway to slow and keep pace with the lane next to them so the BMW sits frustrated behind. Or worse, a driver in a large, old, SUV with more rust than sheet metal and a bad memory of some BMW weaving in and out of traffic and blowing by her at Mach 2 last week. She might think it fun to pull in to your lane just ahead of you to see how far back the crumple zone goes on a BMW. Drivers open doors on motorcycles, it might be even more drastic with a car. A little courtesy can go a long way. Perhaps you are just baiting us, waiting for a reaction like mine.......and really won't be doing those things. I hope so!
No worries. I never do anything intentionally rude or unbecoming of an F10 M5 owner. The lady I made scream the other week was totally by accident and I only knew it because I had all of my windows rolled down. Lol!

As for how old I am, yes I'm turning 34 this week as a matter of fact. I am a designated Naval Aviator with 16 years active duty in the Navy and many tours under my belt serving this country, including twice to Iraq, Afghanistan, and Bosnia in 1998, and 1999. I flew jets in the Air Force and flew helicopters for the Navy. I've driven nuclear powered ballistic submarines, navigated navy destroyers, I am U.S. Sailing licensed Bareboat Captain, and I don't like riding motorcycles, but love riding those little scooters. I've sailed around the world twice, been to over 30 countries, and have been chased by Thai hookers in Singapore. I hate skydiving. I've been over Mach 1 and over 25,000ft in an unpressurized aircraft, driven an E60 M5 over 200mph and intend on doing so in an F10 M5 and not at an official racing track either. I've served with America's premeire fighting force, the U.S. Marines, for 3 years now, and have had my hands in OEF and Operation Odyssey Dawn with them. I'm graduating with honors with my Masters Degree in Diplomacy this June and plan on pursuing my Ph.D in International Relations.

Am I some 18 year old kid that drives wrecklessly in a Laguna Seca Blue E46 M3 in a white backwards hat and a wife beater? No. I am someone who exercises my well deserved freedom to drive a little fast now and then, while enjoying driving the best car ever made and expressing my enthusiam through YouTube videos and well written posts of my experiences to the best car community in the world.

To say that I have a penchant for adrenaline, speed, and great stories would be an understatement. Irrespective of my flamboyant personality and driving style, I've never put innocent civilian lives in danger (although I'll admit I've messed with a Prius driver or two), or try to purposefully act too irresponsibly, but I will pull max positive G's in the traffic pattern in a fighter jet, 180 degree autos in my MH-60S helicopter just for fun, or stretch the legs on an F10 M5 to over 150mph on an empty highway at 3 in the morning. Why? Because I can. I know the rules and know when they can be bent a little sometimes.

Perhaps the word "Assault" in the video titles is a bit of misnomer and I should change them. Maybe "Spirited Driving" to appeal to those older in age, so as not to appear too juvenile or discourteous.

Also thank you for reminding me how much I love my life.

Oh yeah and more "Spirited Driving" videos to come! Lol!

Last edited by RPiM5; 04-01-2013 at 07:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 07:49 PM   #33
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No worries. I never do anything intentionally rude or unbecoming of an F10 M5 owner.

As for how old I am, yes I'm turning 34 this week as a matter of fact. I'm graduating with honors with my Masters Degree in Diplomacy this June and plan on pursuing my Ph.D in International Relations.

Perhaps the word "Assault" in the video titles is a bit of misnomer and I should change them. Maybe "Spirited Driving" to appeal to those older in age, so as not to appear too juvenile or discourteous.

Also thank you for reminding me how much I love my life.

Oh yeah and more "Spirited Driving" videos to come! Lol!
Lots of good experience there, but the real measure of an aviator is whether you've pulled a 4G inverted dive over a MiG 28? I don't know if the officer who pulls you over after your spirited drive in and out of civilian traffic on the freeway will take the time to listen to your curriculum vitae, but why does your spirited driving need to be done around unsuspecting civilians? Just demonstrate your well deserved freedom to drive a little fast all by yourself, or on a track with others who enjoy the speed and competition. The others on the road love their lives also. Don't become a hazard to them.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 09:56 PM   #34
mainly
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, '12 CLS63 Kleemann K3

wheres the comparsion between the stock exhaust and rpi?

btw does anyone know if theres a way with tuning to get rid of that fart sound that always comes in the upper rev range? id rather just hear the engine continue to rev up instead of just bottoming out with that fart noise.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 10:05 PM   #35
wisesoul
Savoir Faire
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainly View Post

btw does anyone know if theres a way with tuning to get rid of that fart sound that always comes in the upper rev range? id rather just hear the engine continue to rev up instead of just bottoming out with that fart noise.
I believe the fart can be subdued with a different muffler. Many aftermarket exhausts seem to have quieter pops/farts than stock
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 11:03 PM   #36
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used2be View Post
Lots of good experience there, but the real measure of an aviator is whether you've pulled a 4G inverted dive over a MiG 28? I don't know if the officer who pulls you over after your spirited drive in and out of civilian traffic on the freeway will take the time to listen to your curriculum vitae, but why does your spirited driving need to be done around unsuspecting civilians? Just demonstrate your well deserved freedom to drive a little fast all by yourself, or on a track with others who enjoy the speed and competition. The others on the road love their lives also. Don't become a hazard to them.
Nope, no U.S. fighter pilot has encountered a hostile MiG since like Persian Gulf War 1, lol! But, I have done a negative 3G inverted climb before though. Talk about blood rushing to your head! Lol!

I wouldn't be able to imagine what an officer would say in a situation like that. I haven't been pulled over for speeding in over 10 years. I don't know if you've ever driven in Southern California before, but me driving in an M5 is the least of everyone elses problems. Just tonight I was intentionally cut off by a PT Cruiser. When there's heavy traffic I always just go with the flow of traffic and drive the F10 M5 like it's a 528i. I even use D-Mode and Auto Start Stop when on the highway. Saving tons of gas in stop in go traffic is always awesome.

So to allay any fears that you might have Used2be, you will never see me produce a video where I am driving like the aforementioned 18 year old Laguna Seca E46 driver weaving through heavy traffic like its the Le Mans Grand Prix. I've even yelled at some of my friends for doing that in the past.

Besides I love this country as much as the next patriot, you think I would ever put innocent lives in danger that I fight for in other lands, by my own hands on the steering wheel of an M5? Like I said, people in PT Cruisers do that everyday here in Southern California, it's a zoo out on these highways as it is. I'm just trying not to get hit most of the time.

But I can see how "In and Out of Traffic" could be misconstrued as "Wrecklessly weaving in and out traffic, cutting off mothers with babys in the back seat." I apologize for the confusion. I didn't expect that I would alarm anyone with my choice of words. I will be more careful in my word choice in the future. Now if the highway was full of nothing but Priuses or Pri'i, that would be a different story. Lol! Just kidding.

Anyways, enough of these shenanigans. Let's get back to talking about M5 stuff!

Cheers, live long and prosper, and other good tidings.

As a special bonus, enjoy this video of me flying in an MV-22 Osprey.

Last edited by RPiM5; 04-02-2013 at 12:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 11:07 PM   #37
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisesoul View Post
I believe the fart can be subdued with a different muffler. Many aftermarket exhausts seem to have quieter pops/farts than stock
This is correct. The stock exhaust farts and cracks are actually louder than the RPi GT, The Eisenmann Race/Sport, and the Akropovic. I've heard them all. The deletion of the mufflers only amplifies the farts and cracks to a degree not capable by exhausts with mufflers.

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 12:17 AM   #38
mainly
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, '12 CLS63 Kleemann K3

Quote:
This is correct. The stock exhaust farts and cracks are actually louder than the RPi GT, The Eisenmann Race/Sport, and the Akropovic. I've heard them all. The deletion of the mufflers only amplifies the farts and cracks to a degree not capable by exhausts with mufflers.
yeah i wasnt so much talking about making the farts "quieter" as eliminating them all together.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 01:20 AM   #39
Rob///M5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 SSII

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainly

Really? Man, I love the M5 fart! And the backfires too!

Go with the Supersprint mufflers. They are like GasX...no farts.
      04-02-2013, 01:45 AM   #40
Type11
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 MCB M5

Quote:
Honestly if you are looking to get back some of your E60 M5 from the good ole' days, in my personal opinion the Eisenmann Race Axleback system is the way to go. Several members have that setup and know what I am talking about. I've heard it many times and the sound from just the axleback setup is incredible. The RPi GT system is quieter than the Eisenmann Race, but the RPi GTM system is much louder than the Eisenmann Race. My advice is to go get the Eisenmann Race. You will not regret it. Oh yeah labor is cheap, don't pay more than a couple hundred to put on an aftermarket exhaust.
Thanks a lot for the advise! So where can I get the GTM then I did not see it just saw the GT and the GTS on the webpage. It is the GTM in the video right? That sound is awesome, thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 07:33 AM   #41
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nope, no U.S. fighter pilot has encountered a hostile MiG since like Persian Gulf War 1, lol!

I don't know if you've ever driven in Southern California before, but me driving in an M5 is the least of everyone elses problems. Just tonight I was intentionally cut off by a PT Cruiser. When there's heavy traffic I always just go with the flow of traffic and drive the F10 M5 like it's a 528i.

So to allay any fears that you might have Used2be, you will never see me produce a video where I am driving like the aforementioned 18 year old Laguna Seca E46 driver weaving through heavy traffic like its the Le Mans Grand Prix.

But I can see how "In and Out of Traffic" could be misconstrued as "Wrecklessly weaving in and out traffic, cutting off mothers with babys in the back seat." I apologize for the confusion. I didn't expect that I would alarm anyone with my choice of words. I will be more careful in my word choice in the future.

Cheers, live long and prosper, and other good tidings.
The MiG allusion was just my obscure reference to 'Top Gun' which seemed to match your profile.

I spent most of my life in Southern California and have battled traffic on all the various clogged freeways around the LA area. That's why my reaction to your spirited driving in and out of traffic brought my alarmed response. It is bad enough with just the regular screw up drivers like the PT Cruiser, the stream of cars doesn't need a swift M5 diving to fill the empty spots before the drivers even realize you're there.

I'm reassured by your restatement of your intentions and hope this little misunderstanding will prompt you to carefully parse the words you include in the treaty or international agreement with some belligerent nation that you submit to the Secretary of State after you secure your doctorate.

May you live long and prosper as well. You don't have pointy ears, do you?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 09:49 AM   #42
Aboody99
Private
Qatar
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Amazing!! can't wait to install mine although my baby is wanted for racing and drifting been hiding it for weeks now
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 10:21 AM   #43
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aboody99 View Post
Amazing!! can't wait to install mine although my baby is wanted for racing and drifting been hiding it for weeks now
Aboody, you are the only person that I know that was able to secure another order for the RPi GTM. Eloy told me that after he made mine, he's only going to making a very limited production run of them. 4 for F10 M5 and 2 for the F12/13 M6. That will make only 5 RPi GTM's on the planet for the F10 M5 including mine. I'm sure they're all spoken for though.

Just wait til I do catless downpipes man.

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 10:23 AM   #44
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type11 View Post
Thanks a lot for the advise! So where can I get the GTM then I did not see it just saw the GT and the GTS on the webpage. It is the GTM in the video right? That sound is awesome, thanks again.
Yes it's the GTM in the video. My GTM was an experimental one off special request by me that I personally asked RPi to make. That's why you won't see the GTM on the website. Eloy is only making a few more GTM's for now. If there is enough demand, I would guess he would make more.

Appreciate 0