United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M5

Garage List
2023 BMW X3M40i  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Intercooler and Charge Pipe Upgrade

Hey all,

Is it really beneficial to change out the intercoolers and charge pipes… a few good companies out there have some good ones… many of them have the meth injection ports in case you want to use methanol at some point which I won't… but I'm at approx 700hp with cold air, fully straight piped, and a stage 2 tune… should I change these out?
2013 BMW F10 M5, Moonstone Metallic, 700whp, stage 2 tune, fully straight piped - catless downpipes - resonator delete and fabspeed muffler delete, cold air intake and many more cosmetic mods. | '92 525i (long gone) | '02 Dinan M5 (sadly gone) | '06 Dinan M3 (also sadly gone)
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2022, 12:57 PM   #2
Flo1989
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

For me, yes the charge coolers were worth it. It kind of trips me out that they are cold to the touch after spirited driving.

I unfortunately didn't have the ability to do logs prior to the coolers but I do have some logs post coolers and post coolers with WMI.

Charge Cooler run:
63 degrees ambient
IATs started at 93 and dropped down to 90 during pull

Charge Coolers + WMI
64 degrees ambient
IATs started at 88 and dropped down to 79 during pull
Appreciate 2
fstm5145.50
      05-03-2022, 12:18 AM   #3
ajm55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

I'm running the CSF intercoolers and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed.

I've been data-logging IATs since I bought the car - both with stock intercoolers and, more recently, with CSF and I haven't seen a meaningful difference in IATs - certainly not of sufficient magnitude to justify the price.

I was persuaded to buy after watching the Evolve comparison which showed a significant reduction in IATs when running the CSF coolers. Those improvements are regrettably not evident on my car. Maybe I'll see better gains in the mid-summer heat although I've been testing on days when ambient is not too low (22 - 28 degrees Celsius)
Appreciate 1
m5rosco210.50
      05-03-2022, 10:47 AM   #4
m5rosco
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajm55 View Post
I'm running the CSF intercoolers and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed.

I've been data-logging IATs since I bought the car - both with stock intercoolers and, more recently, with CSF and I haven't seen a meaningful difference in IATs - certainly not of sufficient magnitude to justify the price.

I was persuaded to buy after watching the Evolve comparison which showed a significant reduction in IATs when running the CSF coolers. Those improvements are regrettably not evident on my car. Maybe I'll see better gains in the mid-summer heat although I've been testing on days when ambient is not too low (22 - 28 degrees Celsius)
I agree. Although I have the Project Gamma coolers. My car has a JB4 fitted that I bought cheap (but brand new) for datalogging on my last m5 when I was having running issues. I use the JB4 for keeping an eye on the display more than anything. I have no real scientific proof but just from keeping an eye on IAT's before fitting the PG charge coolers, and after, I must say I have seen no real reduction in IAT's. a couple of degrees maximum. If fitting charge coolers for performance gains it's not worth it. If you and a friend are neck and neck in a drag race now, fitting charge coolers won't make you win all of a sudden. They look better, and the meth ports could be handy for some though.
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2022, 11:26 AM   #5
Info@mad-us.com
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: bmw

For the avg person cruising the streets Id say no. If you are a track enthusiast then id say lower Iats are very beneficial.

Next time to flush the coolers swap out the coolant for engine ice.
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2022, 01:38 PM   #6
SpeedProtocol
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 F10 M5 - '21 F90 M5

Quote:

This is what I was worried about. How hard is it to do a before and after IAT? And yet the info seems lacking on the forums. I know evolve did a video, but its hard to trust these companies when they slap their logo on a china part and charge insane markup.
2021 M5 Motegi Red- Stock
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 02:03 AM   #7
kjdeion21
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X3M40i  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo1989 View Post
For me, yes the charge coolers were worth it. It kind of trips me out that they are cold to the touch after spirited driving.

I unfortunately didn't have the ability to do logs prior to the coolers but I do have some logs post coolers and post coolers with WMI.

Charge Cooler run:
63 degrees ambient

Charge Coolers + WMI
64 degrees ambient
Quote:

Charge Cooler run:
63 degrees ambient

Charge Coolers + WMI
64 degrees ambient
Thanks for that… so you are one of very few I have talked to that has a good experience with this… those are crazy good numbers…
2013 BMW F10 M5, Moonstone Metallic, 700whp, stage 2 tune, fully straight piped - catless downpipes - resonator delete and fabspeed muffler delete, cold air intake and many more cosmetic mods. | '92 525i (long gone) | '02 Dinan M5 (sadly gone) | '06 Dinan M3 (also sadly gone)
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 02:05 AM   #8
kjdeion21
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X3M40i  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:

Quote:

Charge Cooler run:
63 degrees ambient

Charge Coolers + WMI
64 degrees ambient
Quote:

Okay thanks… see this is the common things that I have gotten and I am still a little torn because they look bad ass as hell and they say they are supposed to make a big difference… thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 02:06 AM   #9
kjdeion21
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X3M40i  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Info@mad-us.com View Post
For the avg person cruising the streets Id say no. If you are a track enthusiast then id say lower Iats are very beneficial.

Quote:

Charge Cooler run:
63 degrees ambient

Charge Coolers + WMI
64 degrees ambient
Quote:

Quote:

True and that was what I thought too as when I do take it out I don't race enough people and have enough back to back races and not get heat soaked…
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 02:19 AM   #10
kjdeion21
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X3M40i  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m5rosco View Post
Quote:

I agree. Although I have the Project Gamma coolers. My car has a JB4 fitted that I bought cheap (but brand new) for datalogging on my last m5 when I was having running issues. I use the JB4 for keeping an eye on the display more than anything. I have no real scientific proof but just from keeping an eye on IAT's before fitting the PG charge coolers, and after, I must say I have seen no real reduction in IAT's. a couple of degrees maximum. If fitting charge coolers for performance gains it's not worth it. If you and a friend are neck and neck in a drag race now, fitting charge coolers won't make you win all of a sudden. They look better, and the meth ports could be handy for some though.
Quote:

Charge Cooler run:
63 degrees ambient

Charge Coolers + WMI
64 degrees ambient
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5rosco View Post
Quote:

Yes I originally looked at the project gamma ones as I know the owners there and that is where my cold air intake is and to be honest (I have a stage 2 JB4 tune) and of course I am always monitoring the numbers… it is interesting because I have always had a cold air intake on my beamers and always ran no more than 15-20 degrees warmer than ambient which is pretty amazing but when I had the intake I never had the JB4 tune on it yet so I don't really have baseline to go off of… anyway I just feel that the car does run cool already compared to many of the F10 M5s… that being said if I do change the IC and the charge pipes I was going to go with the burger tuning ones (I think project gamma ones come in third for me), anyhow I want to know go with the system that Euro Tuning sells and they are the best I think I have found they are the CTS turbo high performance charge pipes and intercoolers for $1200 which I think is awesome. Also if I were to do that eurotuning also sells the aFe POWER magnum force stage 2 pro dry s cold air intake and it sits back in the factory spot and I think it will be better than the project gamma ones that are routed to the kidneys but I feel the air has so far to travel it usually reads 20-40 degrees hotter than ambient… check out the photos of the current engine bay and then the items on euro tuning that I want to purchase… below my car is the one with the blue intake tubes
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 04:42 AM   #11
fstm5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjdeion21 View Post
Hey all,

Is it really beneficial to change out the intercoolers and charge pipes… a few good companies out there have some good ones… many of them have the meth injection ports in case you want to use methanol at some point which I won't… but I'm at approx 700hp with cold air, fully straight piped, and a stage 2 tune… should I change these out?
I strongly believe in OEM being the best for the car, I just don't think anything can beat the engineering of the original maker now I'm sure if you're heavily modified outside of the limits of the common m5 then sure I'm postitive it is beneficial

But to this day I still haven't seen much evidence of differences it makes
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 06:58 AM   #12
kjdeion21
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X3M40i  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Response

I agree the engineering of the stock IC are most likely the best... what I get worried about or wonder is the fact that I have modded the car and I seem to (not really but perhaps me being picky), feel like they are not running as efficiently with the stock ones on but it could just be me wanting to uppgrade, LOL, but thanks!
Appreciate 0