M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Cosmetic Maintenance (wash/wax, protection, repairs)

05-27-2013, 11:38 AM   #1
blackjack7779
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

Paint Protective Film

I just got my M5 wrap in 3M Paint Protective Film. Is like a clear plastic wrap to protect the paint. When it was done the car looks awsome, very nice! The retailer told me that this is the new tech. Is much better then wax or anyother coating. So my question is in longterm whats the pros and cons of this Paint Protective Film. If anyone can help me is very appreciated! Thx
(sorry for the english )
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2013, 12:23 PM   #2
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

Mine is done with Ventureshield (which is owned by 3M). I had this done on my present and past bimmers as well. No issue whatsoever. The earlier 3M PPF (3 years ago or so) were garbage and will turn orangy color from UV & environmental exposure.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2013, 01:29 PM   #3
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
PPF is fantastic. I have the Suntek PPF-C which is just awesome because not only has it got perfect optical clarity but it is also self healing. I remember it got grazed by a rock strike a couple of months ago. After a week the film had self healed and was like new. After 6 months my film is still pristine and I'm sure its endured a lot of rock hits.

I also topped it with a sealant called Sonax Polymer Net Shield which makes it even more water repellent and shiny than in the natural state. The great thing about Sonax Polymer Net Shield is it can be applied to both self healing clearbras and to Opticoat so I have it on the whole car.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2013, 08:17 PM   #4
blackjack7779
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

I see! Thx for all the info. Very helpful! Looks like i did the right thing! 😄😄😄
Appreciate 0