Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

05-29-2012, 07:16 AM   #1
AM47
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: M5,X5M

F10 M5 Owners, How do you select park ?

I have had the car less than a week, when taking delivery noticed there is no Park position on gear selector sales person says it doesn't have one and I have to put it in neutral and put parking brake on, only goes into Park electronically when engine is shut off. So what happens if I am waiting for someone do I have to leave it in neutral with parking brake on, which I did yesterday and got a warning of unsafe condition select park. Aside from turning the engine off does anyone know how to select park ?

Thanks, Don
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 09:16 AM   #2
GTR-Dad
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 M5 - DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM47 View Post
I have had the car less than a week, when taking delivery noticed there is no Park position on gear selector sales person says it doesn't have one and I have to put it in neutral and put parking brake on, only goes into Park electronically when engine is shut off. So what happens if I am waiting for someone do I have to leave it in neutral with parking brake on, which I did yesterday and got a warning of unsafe condition select park. Aside from turning the engine off does anyone know how to select park ?

Thanks, Don
Leave the car in gear (fwd or rev) and shut it off.

If you shift to N, then shut it off, you get the opportunity to roll freely.

Dan
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 10:04 AM   #3
singularity
Driver
Rep
Drives: M5 (F10)

AM47 I agree, it's very annoying and you can't put it in P without turning off the car
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 12:33 PM   #4
lumberman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M5

I don't find it annoying, put to N and apply hand brand is my usual practice

but I don't understand why they warning sign comes off
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 03:27 PM   #5
mhh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi RS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR-Dad View Post
Leave the car in gear (fwd or rev) and shut it off.
+1
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 03:31 PM   #6
SleepTight
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

I'm all but certain that BMW did this to discourage idling in park with the engine on. Concerns related to emissions, gas mileage, etc. from an activity that doesn't require the engine to be running.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 03:54 PM   #7
HHSAM
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F10/ X5 F15 M Package

When you close the car

Press the ignition button again

So Put it on N

Raise handbrake

Press ignition button to turn off the car

Then press it again to engage Park gear
      05-29-2012, 05:27 PM   #8
GTR-Dad
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 M5 - DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM47 View Post
Aside from turning the engine off does anyone know how to select park ?
Hey, I missed this line orignally. Sorry to tell you what you already knew!

I've been a 6MT guy up until now, so the concept of Park is actually quite foreign to me.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 05:39 PM   #9
singularity
Driver
Rep
Drives: M5 (F10)

From my experience, even if you leave it on N and leave the car, it will roll 1 meter and stop. There's some system in the car that doesn't let it roll when it sees that there's no driver.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 05:47 PM   #10
04S
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4 xDrive, X5 40i and U11 X1

Yep. Only way I know is to switch it off. The warning is very annoying because I am not aware of any other way to get it into P - so I keep wondering why it is warning me about something I can't do. Maybe it is a hang over from the AT in the regular 5 series.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 06:24 PM   #11
AM47
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: M5,X5M

Thanks, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 07:02 PM   #12
deathray
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M, iX 50, Range Rover

As far as I know the M5 does not have a 'park' position, on or off. Putting the car into park in a traditional auto (i.e. a transmission with a torque converter) actually engages a parking pawl that locks the drive shaft. Since the DCT in the M5 is a modified manual transmission (i.e. has a clutch (2) to connect the gearbox to the drive shaft, but, in our case is not driver controlled) it has no parking pawl. 'Park' in any manual transmission vehicle basically consists of putting the vehicle in gear to put a very heavy load (the shaft load) onto the wheels in order to prevent them from turning. If you choose, you can then also pull the parking break which clamps the breaks on the rear wheels providing more resistance to wheel rotation.

The sound you hear after you turn your car off is the transmission putting the vehicle back in gear in order to load the wheels. When the vehicle is on and you are stopped, but still 'in gear', the clutch is disengaged to prevent the car from stalling.

In short, the M5 does not have a park function. When the car is off (provided you do not leave it in N, which you should not do) the transmission is engaged in order to stop movement. When stopped while the car is on, the clutch is disengaged; essentially, the car is in neutral. If you want to wait for someone while the car is on, just pull the park break and relax.

The warning the car gives you when it is turned off in N is telling you that it can still roll because the wheels are not connected to the engine load.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 10:02 PM   #13
AttyGunther
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 14 M5~11 Z435is~14 K1600GTL-E

Wow, I guess you learn something new every day... This will be my first M car, and I never knew it didn't have a "traditional" park position. My Z4 has a DCT with the typical gear selector and a park position, so this will take some getting used to!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 10:14 PM   #14
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathray View Post
As far as I know the M5 does not have a 'park' position, on or off. Putting the car into park in a traditional auto (i.e. a transmission with a torque converter) actually engages a parking pawl that locks the drive shaft. Since the DCT in the M5 is a modified manual transmission (i.e. has a clutch (2) to connect the gearbox to the drive shaft, but, in our case is not driver controlled) it has no parking pawl. 'Park' in any manual transmission vehicle basically consists of putting the vehicle in gear to put a very heavy load (the shaft load) onto the wheels in order to prevent them from turning. If you choose, you can then also pull the parking break which clamps the breaks on the rear wheels providing more resistance to wheel rotation.

The sound you hear after you turn your car off is the transmission putting the vehicle back in gear in order to load the wheels. When the vehicle is on and you are stopped, but still 'in gear', the clutch is disengaged to prevent the car from stalling.

In short, the M5 does not have a park function. When the car is off (provided you do not leave it in N, which you should not do) the transmission is engaged in order to stop movement. When stopped while the car is on, the clutch is disengaged; essentially, the car is in neutral. If you want to wait for someone while the car is on, just pull the park break and relax.

The warning the car gives you when it is turned off in N is telling you that it can still roll because the wheels are not connected to the engine load.
What i do not understand is that when i have the car in N, but with parking brake engaged and turn the car off, it still gives me the warning. It's only when you press the start/stop button once more (without pressing the brake pedal) that the warning goes away. I would think with parking brake engaged in N is akin to a manual car in N with handbrake pulled.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 03:53 PM   #15
HHSAM
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F10/ X5 F15 M Package

Guyz

i answered the question and you keep arguing
      05-31-2012, 07:43 AM   #16
M-bitious
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

The upside is that when you start the engine you don't have to move the lever around. It always starts in any position.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 06:18 PM   #17
deathray
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M, iX 50, Range Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by clar View Post
What i do not understand is that when i have the car in N, but with parking brake engaged and turn the car off, it still gives me the warning. It's only when you press the start/stop button once more (without pressing the brake pedal) that the warning goes away. I would think with parking brake engaged in N is akin to a manual car in N with handbrake pulled.
It is basically the same as a manual in N with the handbreak pulled. All the warning is telling you is that if you dont engage the handbreak, the vehicle can roll. Next time, when you see the warning, move the shift selector to D. Doing so should make the warning go away. To an extent the warning is a bit of a relic. On the old handbreaks, if you didnt pull them hard enough, they would stop the vehicle from rolling against a small force, but, if the vehicle was hit hard enough it still had a chance of rolling (instead of sliding or crumpling). Ive heard a few stories (though never seen it) that a car has rolled on an incline after a while because the handbreak wasnt pulled hard enough and it was left in N. If the vehicle is in gear, it cannot roll period.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 10:08 PM   #18
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
So if you are stopped at the traffic light, do you have to keep your foot on the brake to prevent the car moving forward (like in an auto), or will it stay still in first gear without throttle application?

Does it have a built-in feature which is like the Auto Handbrake in the 550i?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 10:22 PM   #19
mhh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi RS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
So if you are stopped at the traffic light, do you have to keep your foot on the brake to prevent the car moving forward (like in an auto), or will it stay still in first gear without throttle application?

Does it have a built-in feature which is like the Auto Handbrake in the 550i?
No and No.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 02:30 AM   #20
sham
Private
Poland
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F90

Hi,
IMHO, the best answer was given by deathray:
The new M5 has a MANUAL gearbox. It is not an automatic, thus it wont roll when no brakes applied and it can't have a P Position.
There is just a Computer shifting gear that's why they can do a manual gearbox for the US market.
Still I agree the warning can be unpleasant.
Knowledge from BMW M Tour
Having waited 3 months, still need to wait 5 weeks for my car. I am sure you know what i am feeling
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 09:20 AM   #21
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhh View Post
No and No.
I don't understand this though. Is it in neutral when you are stopped at the lights or is it in gear? If it is in neutral then doesn't this slow down your launch because you have to get in gear? or is it automatically applying the clutch?

Also if the road surface isn't level. wouldn't the car roll unless you keep your foot on the brake?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 12:57 AM   #22
phish_100
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Azurite Black F10M M5

The car does roll if your foot is off the brake and you're on a hill. So I guess you cant be in any gear :-/
Appreciate 0