Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

08-18-2023, 01:12 AM   #1
M5_Raz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

F10 M5 vs. Summer Heat

Hi All,

How are your F10 M5's handling the summer heat? July 2023 is the hottest month ever recorded. Places like California, Texas, Arizona, and part of Europe are ovens.

My car has been living comfortably in the garage, away from the heat. When I do take it out once or twice a month, it does not skip a beat. I believe that my cooling modifications help a lot!

I have done the following:
  • Catless Downpipes (Stock Tune)
  • Upgraded Chargecoolers
  • Front Mounted Intakes
  • Flushed and replaced coolant in both systems

I have also heard great feedback from owners that have installed the Mishimoto Oil Cooler, which I might purchase myself. Any other mods you have done or would recommend?

Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 10:34 PM   #2
ECB
Private
Rep
Drives: e39 M5, e46 M3,f10 M5, 997.1tt

My car is my daily driver, 25 mile commute each way. It's a mix of stop and go as well as interstate driving. Avg high is about 90 now in NC, we've had some mid 90's, and will be upper 90's next week. Car is stock other than high flow cats and a tune. Could probably use a coolant flush. It's handled the heat fine so far this summer.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 11:25 PM   #3
M5_Raz
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECB View Post
My car is my daily driver, 25 mile commute each way. It's a mix of stop and go as well as interstate driving. Avg high is about 90 now in NC, we've had some mid 90's, and will be upper 90's next week. Car is stock other than high flow cats and a tune. Could probably use a coolant flush. It's handled the heat fine so far this summer.
They’re a lot more dependable than people make it out to be, especially when cared for. Speaking of coolant, have you heard of Redline WaterWetter? I’m considering adding a bottle, it has great reviews.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2023, 07:38 AM   #4
SpeedProtocol
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 F10 M5 - '21 F90 M5

Decat is probably the best anti heat mod you can do.

Im personally not driving the m5 in the summer. I take my truck instead. Im in Texas...☠

Make sure your turbo coolant pump is working and flowing strong!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2023, 08:08 AM   #5
vafan13
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sakhir Orange F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_Raz View Post
They’re a lot more dependable than people make it out to be, especially when cared for. Speaking of coolant, have you heard of Redline WaterWetter? I’m considering adding a bottle, it has great reviews.

Folks (Redline included) typically dont recommend using water wetter with a standard 50/50 coolant mix. My memory is you'd want 40% coolant at most. Which brings up another point: if you're in a location which never gets too cold, you could try a 30/70 coolant/water mix. Still good down to 5F and a decent jump in cooling capacity.

Of course, ones car has to be maxing out the current capacity for it to make any difference. I'd be very surprised if that's happening on the street, even when it's 100 degrees. Happy to have someone who actually deals with that heat prove me wrong, though.
Appreciate 1
M5_Raz514.00
      08-20-2023, 08:15 AM   #6
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droner View Post

Im personally not driving the m5 in the summer. I take my truck instead. Im in Texas...☠

The 4 micro hoses need checking if they are not leaking and if that multi connection plastic unit at the front of the engine is in good shape.

Last edited by M5Rick; 08-20-2023 at 09:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2023, 12:45 PM   #7
ECB
Private
Rep
Drives: e39 M5, e46 M3,f10 M5, 997.1tt

Quote:

Any way to do that easily?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2023, 01:02 PM   #8
M5_Raz
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Decat made a huge difference, you can actually feel less heat coming out of the engine bay after driving. And it also cools down much faster when turned off.

Unfortunately I couldn’t wrap them in exhaust wrap due to my exhaust being full titanium. It can crack due to the heat.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2023, 01:23 PM   #9
M5_Raz
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafan13 View Post
Folks (Redline included) typically dont recommend using water wetter with a standard 50/50 coolant mix. My memory is you'd want 40% coolant at most. Which brings up another point: if you're in a location which never gets too cold, you could try a 30/70 coolant/water mix. Still good down to 5F and a decent jump in cooling capacity.

Of course, ones car has to be maxing out the current capacity for it to make any difference. I'd be very surprised if that's happening on the street, even when it's 100 degrees. Happy to have someone who actually deals with that heat prove me wrong, though.
They may have updated their formula, their website doesn’t mention any coolant mix requirements.

Based on their testing, it looks like 50/50 mix with waterwetter nets the same temperature as having water alone. You are right that a 30/70 coolant/water would be best, at least for the users in California and the lower half of US.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
M5Rick60090.50
      08-20-2023, 01:48 PM   #10
SpeedProtocol
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECB View Post
Any way to do that easily?
Yes. after driving the car up to temperature you can take a mechanics stethoscope or a long screwdriver pressed to your ear and touch the pump. It should have a healthy hum sound like a fluid filled pump should(Not any loud buzzing sounds. imagine a fish tank pump). Then check the feed line to the turbos(the one on the drivers side) in the same manner. You should hear the same hum in the line along with the feeling of fluid movement.

My original pump started to have a loud buzz. i swapped it and the fluid flow felt alot stronger and quieter.
Appreciate 1
ECB99.00
      08-22-2023, 08:08 AM   #11
vafan13
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
They may have updated their formula, their website doesn’t mention any coolant mix requirements.

Based on their testing, it looks like 50/50 mix with waterwetter nets the same temperature as having water alone. You are right that a 30/70 coolant/water would be best, at least for the users in California and the lower half of US.
Interesting. It was on their bottle (and website) before. I emailed them. Something else to note from that test is going from 50% coolant to 40% coolant should net a ~10F drop in cylinder head temp.

Quote:
My original pump started to have a loud buzz. i swapped it and the fluid flow felt alot stronger and quieter.
I'm trying to remember...did you do a DIY for this?
      08-22-2023, 10:25 AM   #12
SpeedProtocol
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm trying to remember...did you do a DIY for this?
No, but Ive posted in several places about parts of it. I probably should have done a DIY considering there is so much confusion around draining and filling the cooling system.
2021 M5 Motegi Red- Stock
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2023, 02:18 PM   #13
M5_Raz
Lieutenant
Rep

Does anyone have turbo blankets? The ones that go around the turbo. Supposed to keep heat in the turbo and away from the engine components while keeping boost up.

Would that wear the turbos faster?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2023, 03:12 PM   #14
vafan13
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Does anyone have turbo blankets? The ones that go around the turbo. Supposed to keep heat in the turbo and away from the engine components while keeping boost up.

Would that wear the turbos faster?
I was turned off of them, at least the PTP blanket-like version, because it seemed like it would end up trapping all that heat in the V, cooking the heads. Would the heads actually get hotter? No idea, but not going to find out.

The Funk version is much more appealing, as its just the turbos and wraps (mostly) around them. However, it appears one then has to choose to either not use the standard metal shield that also goes over the cats, or cut said shield up so it fits with the blankets. Another tough sell. That said, you're catless so probably fine to just go without said shield, at least if your downpipe is coated or wrapped.

Last edited by vafan13; 08-22-2023 at 03:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2023, 05:25 PM   #15
M5_Raz
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I was turned off of them, at least the PTP blanket-like version, because it seemed like it would end up trapping all that heat in the V, cooking the heads. Would the heads actually get hotter? No idea, but not going to find out.

The Funk version is much more appealing, as its just the turbos and wraps (mostly) around them. However, it appears one then has to choose to either not use the standard metal shield that also goes over the cats, or cut said shield up so it fits with the blankets. Another tough sell. That said, you're catless so probably fine to just go without said shield, at least if your downpipe is coated or wrapped.
The PTP ones hold heat in the back half of the engine, not good imo. If anything I think it’s better without so the heat has an escape route.

The Funk version around the turbo is the good design. You do have to make slight adjustments to the metal shield.

My downpipes are not wrapped. I have a full titanium exhaust so it would crack under the heat if I had wrapped them.
Appreciate 0