BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

10-09-2013, 10:00 AM   #1
MichaelJohn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8, Kia EV6 GT

Car starts off in second gear

Sometimes in D1 and even D2 my car will start in second gear. I can feel the difference and it is annoying. I will notice that take-off is a bit sluggish and then I'll look down to see second gear on the gear indicator. It seems the only way to cure this is to set it in D3 which I find too aggressive for most driving situations. I have looked through the manual and I can't seem to find a solution for this. I am sure that this is adding a bit of wear to the clutch as it as it is harder on a clutch to start in a higher gear. Does anyone else have this problem or has anyone found a solution to it? I know that I can click it down with the paddle or the shifter and then back to D, and sometimes I do that just to get it into first gear at a stoplight, but that's not really a solution and it is a PITA.

Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Michael
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 12:35 PM   #2
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

same here
i am always driving in d1 in traffic and its pissing me off that i push the accelerator and car "take-off is sluggish"

by the time i switch it with paddles to first gear it is already revving over 2.5k rpms so car starts accelerating and i already have to break, so in traffic it looks like i am driving manual and dont know how to use clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJohn View Post
Sometimes in D1 and even D2 my car will start in second gear. I can feel the difference and it is annoying. I will notice that take-off is a bit sluggish and then I'll look down to see second gear on the gear indicator. It seems the only way to cure this is to set it in D3 which I find too aggressive for most driving situations. I have looked through the manual and I can't seem to find a solution for this. I am sure that this is adding a bit of wear to the clutch as it as it is harder on a clutch to start in a higher gear. Does anyone else have this problem or has anyone found a solution to it? I know that I can click it down with the paddle or the shifter and then back to D, and sometimes I do that just to get it into first gear at a stoplight, but that's not really a solution and it is a PITA.

Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Michael
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 12:40 PM   #3
wrsbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ferrari 488 Spider

Garage List
It also does it in D3 unless you come to a complete stop. I use D3 but shift for myself and when I stop, if I am still rolling, it's in second gear. The car will always downshift when you slow down no matter what shifting mode you are in.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 05:40 PM   #4
M5 Orthodox
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

When you come to a stop, if you notice that the car is maintaining 2nd gear and has not downshifted to 1st, it means that based on your most recent driving habits and current grade (slope on the road), the car assesses your mood to be relatively "fuel efficient" and it will initiate a 2nd gear start to save fuel. There is one additional way to get it to stop doing this (other than to switch to D3): Drive more aggressively!

Simply stated, at a stop when you come off the brake and engage the throttle, rather than pressing on it gradually and softly, do it more abruptly but back off quickly (i.e. step on it to half-throttle relatively quickly and then immediately back off to what you would normally do). This will initiate a downshift to 1st gear just as the car takes off and will seem to you as though it was in 1st gear the whole time. Furthermore if you do this consistently, after a few times the car will automatically start downshift all the way to 1st gear when you come to a stop. It has a working memory of your driving habit. Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 08:47 PM   #5
MichaelJohn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8, Kia EV6 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5 Orthodox View Post
When you come to a stop, if you notice that the car is maintaining 2nd gear and has not downshifted to 1st, it means that based on your most recent driving habits and current grade (slope on the road), the car assesses your mood to be relatively "fuel efficient" and it will initiate a 2nd gear start to save fuel. There is one additional way to get it to stop doing this (other than to switch to D3): Drive more aggressively!

Simply stated, at a stop when you come off the brake and engage the throttle, rather than pressing on it gradually and softly, do it more abruptly but back off quickly (i.e. step on it to half-throttle relatively quickly and then immediately back off to what you would normally do). This will initiate a downshift to 1st gear just as the car takes off and will seem to you as though it was in 1st gear the whole time. Furthermore if you do this consistently, after a few times the car will automatically start downshift all the way to 1st gear when you come to a stop. It has a working memory of your driving habit. Hope that helps.
You know, I had a sneaky suspicion that the car was adapting to my lazy around town driving recently. Damn thing is too smart! Looks like I'll be forced to drive it harder...darn! Thanks for the tip.

Michael
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 09:56 PM   #6
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 w/CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5 Orthodox

Thank you sir for your informative post... Always appreciate those who teach me something new about my car!
      10-10-2013, 12:40 AM   #7
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M4 F82 / BMW ///M5 F10

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
since SMG days I've always manually nudged the gear box into first when slowing down, if you want to quickly exit a junction you don't want the car suddenly deciding to change down and you half stuck on a junction with traffic coming towards you.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 06:04 AM   #8
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

same here, i'm fine with it, just push the pedal a little bit further
      10-10-2013, 11:31 AM   #9
nv6425
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7 Dark Shadow

This is by far the most annoying thing about my M5....apparently I need to drive more aggressively.
      10-10-2013, 01:53 PM   #10
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

It only does that in the efficient mode.
      10-10-2013, 02:41 PM   #11
nv6425
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7 Dark Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrbo95gst View Post
It only does that in the efficient mode.
I drive in Sport on a regular basis and it does it...are you sure?
      10-10-2013, 03:08 PM   #12
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by nv6425 View Post
I drive in Sport on a regular basis and it does it...are you sure?
My car only does it in efficient mode.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 03:21 PM   #13
emmfive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2001 M5

I frequently loan the car to my brother, who drives it much more gently than I do. When I get it back it will do the 2nd gear start in all settings. The good news is, it adjusts back to my driving style very quickly.

Question: Does anyone know if the user profiles store these different driving styles separately?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 03:28 PM   #14
wrsbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ferrari 488 Spider

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrbo95gst View Post
My car only does it in efficient mode.
I drive in M1 and that is set for Sport, Sport, Comfort, D3 and then I switch to manual shift once I start going. If I don't come to a complete stop and hold, it will stay in second gear if I didn't downshift it to first. This is some kind of efficiency thing that the computer does, irrespective of the mode. If I come to a complete stop and hold for a couple of seconds, it will drop to first. There are plenty of stop signs that I stop completely but don't pause and it starts up in second if I haven't downshifted it to first.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 07:23 PM   #15
Jimbob169
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 LCI MCB/SS interior

I have the opposite problem - only done 500 miles but I find it takes off in 1st and too quickly particularly at roundabouts causing me no end of hassle shooting out jerkily - perhaps I should ease off on the pedal some more!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 07:36 PM   #16
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Can you just hit the downshift button to force a 1st gear start?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 09:20 AM   #17
DrewM5
Captain
Rep
Drives: SG E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisratz View Post
I frequently loan the car to my brother, who drives it much more gently than I do. When I get it back it will do the 2nd gear start in all settings. The good news is, it adjusts back to my driving style very quickly.

Question: Does anyone know if the user profiles store these different driving styles separately?
I believe it does. You should give you brother the second key.
2014 M5 Competition|Space Grey|Black Merino Full Leather|Anthracite Trim|Executive package|LED Lighting Package|Drivers's Assit Package|B&O Sound System|Bel STiR Plus 9500ci|IND Side Markers and Side Vents|Exhaustmeister|HRE P101 Satin Charcoal/Michelin PSS (Summer)|601/Pirelli Sottozero Serie II (Winter)|Coded by V12
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 09:27 AM   #18
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 Competition

I agree, this is sometimes annoying. I also see it in Sport mode too occasionally.