M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Cosmetic Maintenance (wash/wax, protection, repairs)

02-19-2016, 02:44 PM   #1
///Mpower///
Sergeant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Spiritedly

Question Pressure washer - gas or electric

ok, looking for some advice from the car wash experts. i want to get a pressure washer and a foam cannon, but have a few questions before diving in:

1. Gas or electric pressure washer? Can too much pressure damage the exterior cameras on the M5? ...or anything else on the car?
2. Do you pre-rinse or apply the foam to a dry car?
3. Do you simply rinse off, or wash with a microfiber mitt once foamed up? (i suppose this answer is based on how dirty the car is.)
4. Is it ok to blast the wheels/calipers?

i refuse to go to a drive-through car wash, and the touchless ones are $12-15 per use, and i like to keep the car spotless, so they're not cost effective.

thanks in advance
'13 M5 - Singapore Gray, Black Ext. Napa, Dinan FF Exhaust, much more to follow.
'12 X5 M - Carbon blk, Cinnamon interior <retired>
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 06:00 PM   #2
GladiatorOwner
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M4C

See answers below ---

QUOTE=///Mpower///;19423298]ok, looking for some advice from the car wash experts. i want to get a pressure washer and a foam cannon, but have a few questions before diving in:

1. Gas or electric pressure washer? Can too much pressure damage the exterior cameras on the M5? ...or anything else on the car?

- I use a gas powered. Less cord management. It's about the nozzle angle. There should be 3 or 4 interchangeable nozzles that come with the washer and you use them based on the task at hand but for car purposes I believe you should only use the one thats around 40 degrees? Check that to make sure I'm right but instructions will tell you best.

- done it both ways, most of the time I foam it and let it set in.

3. Do you simply rinse off, or wash with a microfiber mitt once foamed up? (i suppose this answer is based on how dirty the car is.)

- correct. Again, done it both ways but I prefer to just wash it with foam still on.

- yes, you need to use the 40 degree angle fitting so it doesn't hurt paint, etc. anything more direct may damage shit.

i refuse to go to a drive-through car wash, and the touchless ones are $12-15 per use, and i like to keep the car spotless, so they're not cost effective.

thanks in advance[/QUOTE]

Using foam works great. The car looks so much cleaner afterwards. My opinion anyway.

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2016, 12:30 AM   #3
apexlocator
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

also consider that a gas pressure washer is more noisy and will sound like a lawnmower
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2016, 01:59 PM   #4
momos750
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5, 2011 750Li

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mpower///
ok, looking for some advice from the car wash experts. i want to get a pressure washer and a foam cannon, but have a few questions before diving in:

thanks in advance
My opinion to your questions:

1. I prefer a gas pressure washer for washing my car. I have a Honda (2800psi) pressure washer. You don't need an electrical cord and the pressure is higher. I would recommend at least 2500 psi and as people stated above a fan nozzle as to not damage the paint. Most foam cannons recommend at least 1800-2000 minimum psi in order to create good foam.

2. I always pre wash my car with the pressure washer using a fan nozzle to get off the bigger dirt and grime. I would not apply the foam directly to a dry car, just my opinion.

3. Depends on how dirty the car is. I garage my car and usually don't drive in the rain. Most of the time I just pre wash and use the foam cannon and then rinse off with the pressure washer or firemans nozzle. If you have to wash using a mitt make sure it's a high quality chenille microfiber mitt and use a 2 bucket wash system.

4. I pre wash the wheels, tires, discs, and calipers with pressure washer, wheel cleaner, and soft wheel brush. I then coat the wheels, tires, calipers, wheel wells, etc with the foam cannon and rinse off, no need to scrub a second time.

I never use car washes, they are horrible and don't use quality cleaners, mitts, towels etc.
I hand wash and foam cannon exclusively.
If you want product recommendations let me know.
As a side note for drying, buy a metro vac blower or something similar. Only use high quality pure plush microfiber towels for drying if you need to. The less you touch the car the better and less chance of micro scratches.
Happy foaming!!
Attached Images

02-21-2016, 07:15 PM   #5
///Mpower///
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by momos750 View Post

1. I prefer a gas pressure washer for washing my car. I have a Honda (2800psi) pressure washer. You don't need an electrical cord and the pressure is higher. I would recommend at least 2500 psi and as people stated above a fan nozzle as to not damage the paint. Most foam cannons recommend at least 1800-2000 minimum psi in order to create good foam.

2. I always pre wash my car with the pressure washer using a fan nozzle to get off the bigger dirt and grime. I would not apply the foam directly to a dry car, just my opinion.

3. Depends on how dirty the car is. I garage my car and usually don't drive in the rain. Most of the time I just pre wash and use the foam cannon and then rinse off with the pressure washer or firemans nozzle. If you have to wash using a mitt make sure it's a high quality chenille microfiber mitt and use a 2 bucket wash system.

4. I pre wash the wheels, tires, discs, and calipers with pressure washer, wheel cleaner, and soft wheel brush. I then coat the wheels, tires, calipers, wheel wells, etc with the foam cannon and rinse off, no need to scrub a second time.

I never use car washes, they are horrible and don't use quality cleaners, mitts, towels etc.
As a side note for drying, buy a metro vac blower or something similar. Only use high quality pure plush microfiber towels for drying if you need to. The less you touch the car the better and less chance of micro scratches.
Happy foaming!!
Very helpful...thank you!

I just ordered a Generac 2,500 PSI on Amazon, along with a Chemical Guys foam cannon. The cannon comes with a gallon of Honeydew snow foam. From what I've read on this forum, Chemical Guys seems to be good stuff.

I'll do the two-bucket system if the car is exceptionally dirty, I also have a grit guard for the bucket. It's garaged, and I don't drive it in snow, but residual road salt is unavoidable in the northeast, so I use the touchless wash to rinse that off.

Also, what about those super absorbent squeegies that almost feel like their made of rubber? Is a microfiber the better choice? What cleaning solutions do you use?

Again, thanks for your input.
'13 M5 - Singapore Gray, Black Ext. Napa, Dinan FF Exhaust, much more to follow.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2016, 07:36 PM   #6
momos750
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Happy foaming!!

I just ordered a Generac 2,500 PSI on Amazon, along with a Chemical Guys foam cannon. The cannon comes with a gallon of Honeydew snow foam. From what I've read on this forum, Chemical Guys seems to be good stuff.

I'll do the two-bucket system if the car is exceptionally dirty, I also have a grit guard for the bucket. It's garaged, and I don't drive it in snow, but residual road salt is unavoidable in the northeast, so I use the touchless wash to rinse that off.

Also, what about those super absorbent squeegies that almost feel like their made of rubber? Is a microfiber the better choice? What cleaning solutions do you use?

That Generac should do great along with the CG Foam Cannon.
I use the CG Foam Cannon also and it has always worked great. There are better soaps available but I know the the Honeydew comes with the foam cannon so try it out.
I use the CG Glossworks AutoBath. It has gloss enhancers, better foam properties, and lubricity.
As far as drying I use CG Blower and microfiber towels. I've never used squeegees so not sure how well they work or don't.
For sealant I use the CG's V07. For tire dressing I use the CG's G6 Hyper Coat. For wheel and tire cleaner I use CG's Grim Reaper. For interior cleaner (not leather) I use CG's Innerclean. For glass I use the CG's Glassworks.

Hope that helps!!
Attached Images

02-21-2016, 08:49 PM   #7
///Mpower///
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by momos750
Quote:
Quote:

Happy foaming!!

I use the CG Foam Cannon also and it has always worked great. There are better soaps available but I know the the Honeydew comes with the foam cannon so try it out.
I use the CG Glossworks AutoBath. It has gloss enhancers, better foam properties, and lubricity.
As far as drying I use CG Blower and microfiber towels. I've never used squeegees so not sure how well they work or don't.
For sealant I use the CG's V07. For tire dressing I use the CG's G6 Hyper Coat. For wheel and tire cleaner I use CG's Grim Reaper. For interior cleaner (not leather) I use CG's Innerclean. For glass I use the CG's Glassworks.

Hope that helps!!
My car has been coated with Cilajet, so I don't know if I should use a sealer. I'll ask the dealer about that. I like that blower. CG makes a vac/blower. I like it because it comes with a variety of attachments for the vac...but my concern is that it does two things mediocre, as opposed to one really well.

I've been using Zaino leather products, but I hear more (here, anyway) about Leather Master products. Do you have a preference on either?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2016, 10:15 PM   #8
momos750
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by momos750
Quote:
Quote:

Happy foaming!!

Hope that helps!!
My car has been coated with Cilajet, so I don't know if I should use a sealer. I'll ask the dealer about that. I like that blower. CG makes a vac/blower. I like it because it comes with a variety of attachments for the vac...but my concern is that it does two things mediocre, as opposed to one really well.

I've been using Zaino leather products, but I hear more (here, anyway) about Leather Master products. Do you have a preference on either?
I prefer Leather Master or Lexol products, both work great.
Most of the pro Detailers use Leather Masters.
      03-15-2016, 02:42 PM   #9
hankcah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mpower/// View Post

Even with the touchless ones, you still question how clean those drying towels are, that they loosely dry with. Where I live, if the weather is dry outside, no matter the temperature, there's a line of 20 cars in front of me. And I'm more stressed than before since I had to wait in line for so long.

Now I go to the local bay or whip out the foam cannon at home. Much cheaper. I figure I can buy a new bottle of foam or a few rags for the price of the $12 washes twice a month.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 08:40 AM   #10
bimmertones
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW M5

Yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankcah View Post
Even with the touchless ones, you still question how clean those drying towels are, that they loosely dry with. Where I live, if the weather is dry outside, no matter the temperature, there's a line of 20 cars in front of me. And I'm more stressed than before since I had to wait in line for so long.

Now I go to the local bay or whip out the foam cannon at home. Much cheaper. I figure I can buy a new bottle of foam or a few rags for the price of the $12 washes twice a month.
Definitely more practical!
Appreciate 0