M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Watches

03-25-2008, 02:20 AM   #529
san~man
Tired
Rep
Drives: BMW-less

Thanks for the advice. FWIW, my co-worker's wife is a salesperson at BB here and she told me to let her know when/if I'm ready. I also have a "bun in the oven," so it may be a while.

I like this one also, especially since it has a more "conservative" feel to it versus the other Luminor (less hash marks, etc). Bad thing is that it costs more than the other Luminor chrono :

The historics (IMO) just look so plain and simple, but I understand what you mean as far as resale/investment. I probably wouldn't ever sell it anyway.
      03-27-2008, 08:42 PM   #530
LilFingers
Lieutenant
India
Rep
Drives: E92 335is

Garage List
2012 335is  [0.00]
2007 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeClothing View Post
I actually snagged two newbies before the April 1st price increase. Their watches are going up 12-16% which is just crazy and pretty much pricing out average income earners like myself.
Long story short, I sold a Pam 24 to help pay for an engagement ring and promised myself I would get another some day. My AD had a 12 month no interest deal, and with a kid on the way, I figured it was now or never so I hopped on 2.
They are great investments and my advice is to buy limited production models. Often times the Historics (base models) are the most desired.
I ended up buying a Pam 240 which is a new model this year. It's a titanium Marina with date and tobacco dial. Limited to 1000 pieces, and a gorgeous looking watch if you can find one.
The other watch I got was a 219 which is a left handed base model limited to 400 pieces.
Make friends with a sales person, tell them what you want, and get on a list. The best watches usually never make it to the case since they are spoken for once they come in.
Good Luck!
Nice watches!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2008, 11:11 PM   #531
lionheart
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Three

my ultimate.....

was really into the ss daytona and still am, as well as brietling chronomat, but this is my ultimate...class, style, TOP notch movement and almost unrecognizable.....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2008, 11:46 PM   #532
san~man
Tired
Rep
Drives: BMW-less

Vascheron = baller.
      03-29-2008, 01:44 AM   #533
nailman80
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionheart View Post
was really into the ss daytona and still am, as well as brietling chronomat, but this is my ultimate...class, style, TOP notch movement and almost unrecognizable.....
Daytona is played out. The VC Overseas you have is much better, imo. But the best chronograph has to be a Lange Datograph.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 07:54 AM   #534
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailman80 View Post
Daytona is played out. The VC Overseas you have is much better, imo. But the best chronograph has to be a Lange Datograph.
how can one of the most sought after watches in the world be played out?

"...I maybe drunk, but you're ugly, and I can sober up..."
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 01:36 PM   #535
nailman80
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunotheboxer View Post
Because everyone has one.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 01:48 PM   #536
racer_x
Rep
n/a
Drives:

TAG Heuer Formula 1 Chrono..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 05:52 PM   #537
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailman80 View Post
Because everyone has one.

wtf are you talking about.

everyone has one? thats funny. rolex only makes a few available ss daytonas to AD's thats why they go for about $3000 over list elsewhere. i'm not trying to start an argument but if "everyone" had one everyone could get one at an AD for list price.

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 06:16 PM   #538
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

Quote:
I think the point he's trying to make is that every douche' bag trying to look like somebody, impress somebody, and hopefully find some sort of respect through material items runs out and buys a Rolex. Doesn't matter if it's a $40 counterfit, Daytona, or a datejust. Rolex has become one of the most common "symbols" of douchebaggery and avarice in America.

You see them everywhere in the media, in rap videos "bling", and on the wrists of salesmen and middle managers... So yeah, played out is sort of accurate for a brand that has become a calling card of the culturally bankrupt and clueless trying to buy some sort of respect or class.

TAG is on it's way as well, while Breitling and many other middle range brands are unaffected... At least until some rap "artist" starts wearing one and signing about it in a shitty little ditty. Folks that really want a fine wrist watch are more and more aiming for brands that offer precision, and function without the baggage the Rolex brings along with it.

Or something like that...
      03-30-2008, 06:28 PM   #539
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlis View Post
I think the point he's trying to make is that every douche' bag trying to look like somebody, impress somebody, and hopefully find some sort of respect through material items runs out and buys a Rolex. Doesn't matter if it's a $40 counterfit, Daytona, or a datejust. Rolex has become one of the most common "symbols" of douchebaggery and avarice in America.

You see them everywhere in the media, in rap videos "bling", and on the wrists of salesmen and middle managers... So yeah, played out is sort of accurate for a brand that has become a calling card of the culturally bankrupt and clueless trying to buy some sort of respect or class.

TAG is on it's way as well, while Breitling and many other middle range brands are unaffected... At least until some rap "artist" starts wearing one and signing about it in a shitty little ditty. Folks that really want a fine wrist watch are more and more aiming for brands that offer precision, and function without the baggage the Rolex brings along with it.

i guess to each his own.
i dont care what rapper or whoever is wearing a rolex i just know that i would love to have a white faced ss daytona and i only want it for my own pleasure. i dont give a shit what anyone thinks of me anyway.
now personally i dont like the Breitlings they are just too big for me but thats just my opinion of them.

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 06:32 PM   #540
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

Quote:
i guess to each his own.
i dont care what rapper or whoever is wearing a rolex i just know that i would love to have a white faced ss daytona and i only want it for my own pleasure. i dont give a shit what anyone thinks of me anyway.
now personally i dont like the Breitlings they are just too big for me but thats just my opinion of them.
Oh totally, just because they've become sorta "symbols" for whats wrong in our culture to some extent I am not saying they aren't fine watches. Just that at this point, I'd be more inclined to purchase a differen't less recognized brand.

I've been digging Ball Watches lately, been wanting a UrWerk 103 as well, but that's going to have to wait a little while. Seems that the really cool watches are always harder than hell to get hold of unless you know somebody.
      03-30-2008, 06:42 PM   #541
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh totally, just because they've become sorta "symbols" for whats wrong in our culture to some extent I am not saying they aren't fine watches. Just that at this point, I'd be more inclined to purchase a differen't less recognized brand.

I've been digging Ball Watches lately, been wanting a UrWerk 103 as well, but that's going to have to wait a little while. Seems that the really cool watches are always harder than hell to get hold of unless you know somebody.
all i know is that i love the look of the ss daytona and yes its no patik but I want one. as far as the other guy saying that everyone has a daytona, well lets just say that sounds stupid. maybe they do show up on tv alot but i couldn't say because i hate rap music. just my two cents.

Appreciate 0
      04-01-2008, 03:16 PM   #542
OVRSTR
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:

+1 You speak the truth.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2008, 03:59 PM   #543
Laxdude
Jagoff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Omega Seamaster Chronometer
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2008, 03:50 AM   #544
SydneyM3Pom
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E92 M3

Rose Gold IWC Portuguese Perpetual Calendar II
Titanium IWC Acquatimer
Panerai
Rolex GMT Master II
JLC Reverso
Omega Seamaster Auto

Let's not get on to bicycles..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2008, 04:25 AM   #545
mach330
You don't know JACK!!!
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 35i

my current watch...rolex gmt-II black/red

my new wife just got me this during our honeymoon here in hawaii...

pam 90...

04-02-2008, 06:00 AM   #546
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

TAG Aquagraph. It's out for service, I'll have to post a pic later.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2008, 06:14 AM   #547
hakaida442
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 Porsche 911 Carrera GTS

Quote:
4 guys in my office have white faced s/s daytonas and at least a near dozen other guys have a sub or datejust. rolex is the standard but way overhyped. Most of them think their rolex is better than my pp nautilus. What I really want is a HW Ocean Diver or Ocean Tourbillon.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2008, 07:59 AM   #548
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakaida442 View Post
4 guys in my office have white faced s/s daytonas and at least a near dozen other guys have a sub or datejust. rolex is the standard but way overhyped. Most of them think their rolex is better than my pp nautilus. What I really want is a HW Ocean Diver or Ocean Tourbillon.
those are four very lucky guys.

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2008, 08:25 AM   #549
HyperM3
Too many Alex's, from now on, call me Beaufort
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Sig

FWIW, everytime you go into a watch store, the largest case they usually have is the Rolex case. Most of the time they have well over 30 styles in there. Most of the other brands less than 10 at best. Im not knocking Rolex, but they are kinda like "I just made it so Im getting my first nice watch" brand. Kind of like Coach bags for women. Its the way into collecting.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2008, 11:18 AM   #550
Jonmartin
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperM3 View Post
FWIW, everytime you go into a watch store, the largest case they usually have is the Rolex case. Most of the time they have well over 30 styles in there. Most of the other brands less than 10 at best. Im not knocking Rolex, but they are kinda like "I just made it so Im getting my first nice watch" brand. Kind of like Coach bags for women. Its the way into collecting.
They also hold their value better then most brands...Especially the Daytona.
Appreciate 0