06-24-2012, 10:29 AM   #1
SayyaaF
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera 4S

B&O retrofit possibilities

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hi forum,

I same to be unfortunate with my BMW orders since usually once I order and they deliver, there seem to be a much desirable option missing in my car. anyhoo, I recieved my car back in March and now they announced B&O system for M5 & 5 series in general. What are my chanced being able to retrofit that system ? Anyone knows ? specially dealers ?

My dealer said its almost not possible but they are not sure.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 11:44 AM   #2
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SayyaaF
Hi forum,

I same to be unfortunate with my BMW orders since usually once I order and they deliver, there seem to be a much desirable option missing in my car. anyhoo, I recieved my car back in March and now they announced B&O system for M5 & 5 series in general. What are my chanced being able to retrofit that system ? Anyone knows ? specially dealers ?

My dealer said its almost not possible but they are not sure.
It may be cheaper to just buy another car and sell this one.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 11:58 AM   #3
SayyaaF
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
It may be cheaper to just buy another car and sell this one.

would it ? that is just stupid if true. Why would a bunch of speakers be more expensive to retrofit ?

selling the car would be a big loss.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 12:22 PM   #4
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SayyaaF View Post
would it ? that is just stupid if true. Why would a bunch of speakers be more expensive to retrofit ?

selling the car would be a big loss.
Well they price B&O at $3500 above standard premium sound which itself is $1900 incremental pricing over regular sound. So if you are buying the system standalone, it's going to be $7000-8000. Then you have installation - probably 6-8 hours at $120 per hour. So it's going t o be $8000 and it won't add to the resale value of your car at all.

So do the TCO of owning your car for the next 3 years vs. buying a new one and owning that for 3 years. I reckon you will be better off buying a new one since the resale on these cars is very good right now because of the short supply.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 01:25 PM   #5
SleepTight
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

SayyaaF, I listened to the B&O System in a 6-Series and didn't think it was worth the price of the option. http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=685197

For the money, you could purchase an absolutely stellar after-market system that would plug right into the BMW iDrive system.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 01:37 PM   #6
Akili02
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 (soon replaced)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepTight View Post
SayyaaF, I listened to the B&O System in a 6-Series and didn't think it was worth the price of the option. http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=685197

For the money, you could purchase an absolutely stellar after-market system that would plug right into the BMW iDrive system.
I think this would be the way to go and then tailor the sysytem to be exactly how you want High's low's, mid's and bass. The only difference is you want have the posh B&O speaker covers. But in the end you will get much better said and justthe way you want it and I would venture to say for far less.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 01:48 PM   #7
SayyaaF
Rep

Thanks guys, its really difficult to get a proper job around me here for anything involving new BMWs. I wouldn't trust them touching the car circuitry or anything.

My best bits is to get the dealer confirm retrofit for a reasonable price, or as some said, I might just live with it.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 01:50 PM   #8
SayyaaF
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepTight View Post

can you give me an idea of what a stellar after market would be ? I am a noob in aftermarket systems.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 01:27 AM   #9
Akili02
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 (soon replaced)

Everyone has a different ear for
What sounds good. Go down to an aftermarket stereo dealer and just have a listen. They can make a system for you that will give you the best sound possible from the space available and type of music you like.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 02:45 AM   #10
SayyaaF
Rep

there is a pro aftermarket shops around me that I would trust in a new BMW. Anyways, I am waiting for Munich answer. If not, I might have to live with it. its no big issue I just wanted to explore the possibilities.
Appreciate 0