M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

10-24-2014, 04:23 PM   #1
WhiskeyGolf
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 Bluestone F90 M5C

Tyres ... what happens when u get a flat

Hello!

I took my car in for annual service 2 weeks ago. The techs found a nail in the left rear tyre and patched it.. driving to work last night I got a warning message that the pressure was decreasing. Drove it home before it went to ZERO. I am on a business trip out of the country but will call BMW assist when I return on Monday.

I have the wheel and tyre program. Should they have changed the tyre when they found the nail or were they being cheeky with the patch? Should I insist on getting a new tyre? Are the types patchable ? I have a CP 2014 with stock types that came with the car. Has anyone else had a similar experience or story? Thanks. WG
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2014, 06:37 PM   #2
Fantasm
Lieutenant
Algeria
Rep
Drives: SL63

Patch is normal. No one changes a tire because of a puncture unless its in the sidewall.

What happens? You call tow truck to have it towed to Discount Tire Center / Americas Tire or BMW dealership...

Discount Tire / Americas Tire will sell you road hazard warranty for $45~ / tire if they are new enough (probably not since its a CPO car), or on brand new purchases.
It'll include repair / replace (if unrepairable) of tires with damage caused by their whatever they cover under their road hazard warranty.
You still need to get the car there though, and you still need to wait for arrival of replacement tire (which could be days, next week, or who knows depending on back orders)
      10-24-2014, 07:34 PM   #3
M54ccibo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyGolf
Hello!

I took my car in for annual service 2 weeks ago. The techs found a nail in the left rear tyre and patched it.. driving to work last night I got a warning message that the pressure was decreasing. Drove it home before it went to ZERO. I am on a business trip out of the country but will call BMW assist when I return on Monday.

I have the wheel and tyre program. Should they have changed the tyre when they found the nail or were they being cheeky with the patch? Should I insist on getting a new tyre? Are the types patchable ? I have a CP 2014 with stock types that came with the car. Has anyone else had a similar experience or story? Thanks. WG
Did they pull the tire off and patch it properly? Just curious.

IMHO, if you don't push the car hard, both cornering and high speed, a properly patched tire is fine so long as it doesn't compromise the belts. Most manufacturers state the tire is no longer rated to manufacturer spec afterwards.

Me? Puncture is a new tire. I don't need a blowout or other issue - it's not worth the minimal expense.
'10 E60 M5, Space Gray/Black
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2014, 08:25 PM   #4
WhiskeyGolf
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thank you for the responses M54 and Fantasm! I appreciate the input. I do not know if they took off the tyre and patched it. I will ask. My original dealer is in West Palm beach but there is a closer dealership to my home. I bought the car from WPB due to the Euro delivery price and that's where I took it for service. When I return Monday I will ask BMW to take the car to the nearer dealership. I'm with you M54, I paid for the wheel and tyre program I might as well see if I can get a new tyre... I will also look at Fantasm's suggestions as well. I'll check to see if it is a new puncture or if the air leaked from the old patched puncture. Sincerely appreciate the feedback and time you both took to respond with thoughts and information. , and will keep u posted on developments!

WG
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2014, 12:36 AM   #5
M54ccibo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyGolf View Post
Thank you for the responses M54 and Fantasm! I appreciate the input. I do not know if they took off the tyre and patched it. I will ask. My original dealer is in West Palm beach but there is a closer dealership to my home. I bought the car from WPB due to the Euro delivery price and that's where I took it for service. When I return Monday I will ask BMW to take the car to the nearer dealership. I'm with you M54, I paid for the wheel and tyre program I might as well see if I can get a new tyre... I will also look at Fantasm's suggestions as well. I'll check to see if it is a new puncture or if the air leaked from the old patched puncture. Sincerely appreciate the feedback and time you both took to respond with thoughts and information. , and will keep u posted on developments!

WG
No problem! That's what the board is for
'10 E60 M5, Space Gray/Black
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2014, 04:40 PM   #6
WhiskeyGolf
Enlisted Member
Rep

I took the car in to the dealership closer to my home today after using BMW mobility to inflate the tyre. Apparently the patch held, and there was a new puncture caused by a huge valve stem probably from a truck ! It created a hole the size of a penny once the stem was removed. They gave me a new tyre and submitted my claim (wheel and tyre program). Dealer joked that you never mention the words "curb" or "construction" or they will deny the claim. Thanks for your help, it was my first flat. It was easier to just use the mobility system and drive 2 miles to the dealership than to call assist.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 05:07 AM   #7
WhiskeyGolf
Enlisted Member
Rep

So now that the tire is fixed, I ordered a replacement sealant in case I get a future flat. The original (that came with the car) is a plastic bottle with screw connectors for the included hose that connects the bottle sealant to the stem on the tire, similar to the picture below:

When I received the new sealant it came in a bottle similar to the second picture below but without all the other parts. Does anyone know how to use this? The picture below was taken from eBay. I did not get that kit from the dealer. I imagine i need to get the other bits and pieces. I got what I paid for (the bottle of sealant, LOL) but I am sure I need more?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 09:12 AM   #8
DrewM5
Captain
Rep
Drives: SG E60 M5

I think you bought the wrong part. Same thing happened to me with the dealer. Good news is that the right part was much less (I think $35 vs $65). Probably the first time in my life I left the dealership with more cash in my pocket than when I went in!
2014 M5 Competition|Space Grey|Black Merino Full Leather|Anthracite Trim|Executive package|LED Lighting Package|Drivers's Assit Package|B&O Sound System|Bel STiR Plus 9500ci|IND Side Markers and Side Vents|Exhaustmeister|HRE P101 Satin Charcoal/Michelin PSS (Summer)|601/Pirelli Sottozero Serie II (Winter)|Coded by V12
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 09:52 AM   #9
WhiskeyGolf
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thank you Drew ! I will go back to the dealer today and get the right part ! Thank you for the information and heads up !!!

WG
Appreciate 0