Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

10-12-2013, 12:11 AM   #1
eleven11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: -F85 X5M-

Llumar Air Blue 80 tint - A Few Questions

I've decided to go with Formula One Pinnacle tint for the sides and rear, after taking delivery. My installer offers Air Blue 80 for the front. I've read mostly positive things about it, however some have complained about dash reflection. Others counter that the reflection issues only occur with a poor installation. Thoughts?

Also, does anyone find the subtle blue tint to be aesthetically unappealing? Exterior is Sapphire Black Metallic, if that matters. Thanks.
2011 135i Coupe - Retired
2007 335i Sedan - Retired
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 07:56 PM   #2
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven11 View Post
I've decided to go with Formula One Pinnacle tint for the sides and rear, after taking delivery. My installer offers Air Blue 80 for the front. I've read mostly positive things about it, however some have complained about dash reflection. Others counter that the reflection issues only occur with a poor installation. Thoughts?

Also, does anyone find the subtle blue tint to be aesthetically unappealing? Exterior is Sapphire Black Metallic, if that matters. Thanks.
I had Air Blue 80 and I thought it was an excellent tint. I did not put it on my windshield, but I would guess it does increase reflection since I did say a little more reflection in the side windows (e.g. reflection of air vents).

I have been using Prestige Photosync 75 on my current car. It is similar but blocks even more heat. No reflection issues with this one.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 08:24 PM   #3
Un Gato Malodoro
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Azurite Black F10 M5

I went with the photosync 75 as well based on Stealth's recommendation and I've been extremely pleased with the tint. It's definitely worth exploring if you haven't and their customer service is excellent. The POC's name there is Viet Tran (I believe that's the name).
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 01:47 PM   #4
eleven11
Major
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the replies.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 03:46 PM   #5
UniqueCheese
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Was: F10 M5, Now: Ford F150

I pride myself on doing the research before I leap in to buying something expensive. Okay - most of the time I do. With tinting I certainly did. Part of the research I do tells me whose opinions I trust, and Stealth pilot is one of those people here. It's not that he makes similar decisions to me, it's that he makes decisions based on evidence, as as such it's easy to check his working and relatively often found out that nothing has changed since he made his decision.

In the case of tinting, I saw that he used Prestige Photosync, as he mentioned. I did the research on tints also, having browsed several other forums and I came to tto the conclusion that Stealth Pilot was right again.

Prestige Photosync has one MAJOR advantage over every other tint out there. It stops infra-red getting in WAY better than anything else. Even at the lower tint levels it still removes about 80%. It also does the photochromic thing, like glasses that get darker in sunlight. It adds another 10% to the tint in strong sunlight, which is nice. When it does that, though, the infra-red rejection rate goes up. In the mid-range tints that ups the rejection rate to 99.5%.

Be aware of your local laws regarding whether you can put films on your front windscreen or not. I can tell you that were it legal to do here in Washington state I would do so on the front windscreen. In anticipation of the question from people who live where it is legal I checked whether it would ruin the view of the HUD by temporarily sticking some to the windscreen - it doesn't distort the HUD or change the polarisation.

And don't forget to do your sunroof, like I did. I'll fix that when the next budget comes up...
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 07:00 PM   #6
eleven11
Major
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the advice. I have no doubt that Photosync is a great product, if not the best going. For travel convenience, etc. I'll still be going with my original choice. If I'm unsatisfied, I will certainly go with Photosync. Do you have any input about Air Blue 80?
Appreciate 0