Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

07-20-2021, 01:33 PM   #1
ruben356
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 M6 _ San Marino Blue

Flashing Back to Stock Tune

Hey All, so since I bought my car out of state, needed to do inspection and failed for Readiness Monitors not ready. Car came with DP's, and must have tune or flash to turn off CEL. Not sure if anyone has tried proper drive cycle and succeeded.

I am trying to figure out how I can tell I have a tune, and what brand, if possible. Also, how can I flash the DME back to stock if swapping DP's to get monitors into ready state? Any help is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 03:33 PM   #2
ruben356
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

So, after some research which I should've done before posting. I don't daily my car, and haven't gotten a battery tender on it yet. Seems the car sitting and battery drain causes the Readiness of systems to reset. Performed the Drive Cycle as suggested all over the net. I have all but 2 monitors ready. I will try again tonight as the traffic probably messed things up for me, its hard to drive slow even on the right lane on the east coast. I just need the fuel system and catalyst to become ready, everything else is good.

If anyone knows, my monitoring app Auto Doctor says "Since Reset" Complete for most monitors, and "This Drive Cycle" goes to incomplete if I reset the car. Am I right to assume that smog tests are only looking for the Since reset state to say Complete or ready?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 01:20 PM   #3
ruben356
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Tried today again, still can't get Fuel System and Catalys to go ready, need at least 1 more to go ready so I can pass smog, as my state allows for one not ready. This is frustrating. If anyone has any input or suggestions. I found an old thread on someone that had to replace both HPFP's to get the Fuel System to go ready.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 06:37 PM   #4
arucano
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Grand Coupe CP

Garage List
2014 BMW M6 GC  [10.00]
Any time you reset the "pollution control code", you have to go through the drive cycle to get an "emission readiness" status. Drive at a steady, approximately 55 MPH (below 60) without hard breaking or accelerating for about six miles or thereabouts. I went through that after I got an error code due to bad fuel (suspect water) and resetting the codes. There is to my knowledge no other way to get the ready for inspection status. I used the "four stroke" app to monitor the readiness status.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 06:39 AM   #5
ruben356
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arucano View Post
Any time you reset the "pollution control code", you have to go through the drive cycle to get an "emission readiness" status. Drive at a steady, approximately 55 MPH (below 60) without hard breaking or accelerating for about six miles or thereabouts. I went through that after I got an error code due to bad fuel (suspect water) and resetting the codes. There is to my knowledge no other way to get the ready for inspection status. I used the "four stroke" app to monitor the readiness status.
Thanks, going to see my folks this weekend, about a 500mile round trip. I hope this will help it or give me time to attempt it. The traffic on the east coast is the biggest obstacle . Also trying to figure out what are the conditions that will stop the system from attempting to reset. Like if I go over 3k RPM will I have to turn off the car and start over, or if I got past 70mph, or if im doing the 55mph and have to speed up. Im not sure if in me constantly trying I keep missing the window and causing it to cancel out because of something like that. You would be surprised how people still tailgate you even when you're going 55mph with the hazards on, it is a pain.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 05:05 PM   #6
arucano
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Grand Coupe CP

Garage List
2014 BMW M6 GC  [10.00]
Can't answer your speed questions with any certainty. I slipped over 60 a couple times but I also lightly touched the brakes during the run but that apparently did not affect it. I tried to keep the changes as gentle as possible. keep it in comfort mode so it does not egg you on to get on it... If you are doing a 500 mile R/T you should be able at some point grit your teeth and try to get in the speed range. I know, it seems like forever but the relief when it clears is worth it. My wife went along for the ride and kept me in check. Have a safe trip
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 07:09 AM   #7
ruben356
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arucano View Post
Can't answer your speed questions with any certainty. I slipped over 60 a couple times but I also lightly touched the brakes during the run but that apparently did not affect it. I tried to keep the changes as gentle as possible. keep it in comfort mode so it does not egg you on to get on it... If you are doing a 500 mile R/T you should be able at some point grit your teeth and try to get in the speed range. I know, it seems like forever but the relief when it clears is worth it. My wife went along for the ride and kept me in check. Have a safe trip
Thanks for the input, i actually did the first half of the drive last night (about 250 miles) and to my surprise the Fuel System came up as ready. I didn't drive any specific way, just normal and no sport mode. I did let the car get down to a little bit below a quarter tank then filled up. So i should be able to pass emissions now as i have just the Catalyst not ready, but in my state we are allowed 1 not ready. This was a painful ordeal, but glad i was able to sort it quickly, need to get my battery tender hooked up asap.
Appreciate 0