BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

06-13-2013, 10:09 PM   #1
ManhattanBMW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F13 M6

Traffic Avoidance on Nav

My Nav shows traffic, but is there a setting to have it notify me when there is congestion on my route, and then redirect me around the congestion? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 07:10 AM   #2
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManhattanBMW
My Nav shows traffic, but is there a setting to have it notify me when there is congestion on my route, and then redirect me around the congestion? Thanks
Yes. 1. Make sure your destination is always loaded whenever you get ready to drive.
2. Always enter your destination the moment you get in the car. This gives the system the most time to find an alternate route before departure.
3. Make sure dynamic guidance is off. Otherwise, the system will reroute you due to traffic without presenting any options.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 07:11 AM   #3
jmh
Internet Crash Test Dummy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC / F80 M3 / F90 M5

If you have Dynamic Guidance enabled and have the BMW Assist Convenience plan you get ARTTI (Advanced Realtime Traffic Information) which will display congestion (updated every 3 minutes) and dynamically re-route you , or suggest alternate routes

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...s.aspx?panel=8
15 F10 M5 Individual / Brilliant White / Extended/Full Cohiba Brown (Exec/Driver/B&O/20") / A few Euro add-ons / Stealth K40 / Upgraded B&O / ///M Performance Carbon Interior Trim / IND / Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust / HRE S107
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 07:56 AM   #4
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh
If you have Dynamic Guidance enabled and have the BMW Assist Convenience plan you get ARTTI (Advanced Realtime Traffic Information) which will display congestion (updated every 3 minutes) and dynamically re-route you , or suggest alternate routes

On my version (non m5) dynamic guidance will not prompt you except for a voice message that says "recalculating route due to traffic information."

So. You don't want dynamic guidance if you want to be prompted on my version.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 09:45 AM   #5
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh View Post

Yes this is how I see it, my F31 330D M Sport is left in Dynamic all the time and traffic Info is "Ticked".
I get the instant updates.
      06-14-2013, 09:58 AM   #6
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh View Post

Yes this is how I see it, my F31 330D M Sport is left in Dynamic all the time and traffic Info is "Ticked".
I get the instant updates.

To clarify, when you have dynamic guidance checked, you get the instant update as you say.

But, do you get a choice?

If I uncheck dynamic guidance, the nav system will display a prompt that a detour is available. Then, I have the option to choose the detour.

If I have dynamic guidance ticked off then my car will instantly update the new route---but, it does not prompt me for a choice as it does this automatically.

Are you saying you get prompted for a choice to choose an alternate route when dynamic guidance is selected? I was under the impression that dynamic guidance will silently move you around traffic , but you don't get a choice.

Do I have this right?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 12:28 PM   #7
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
To clarify, when you have dynamic guidance checked, you get the instant update as you say.

But, do you get a choice?

If I uncheck dynamic guidance, the nav system will display a prompt that a detour is available. Then, I have the option to choose the detour.

If I have dynamic guidance ticked off then my car will instantly update the new route---but, it does not prompt me for a choice as it does this automatically.

Are you saying you get prompted for a choice to choose an alternate route when dynamic guidance is selected? I was under the impression that dynamic guidance will silently move you around traffic , but you don't get a choice.

Do I have this right?

^ correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
3. Make sure dynamic guidance is off. Otherwise, the system will reroute you due to traffic without presenting any options.

IMO, I would prefer the option to take the detour. Most times, I would know generally the way, if you elect no detour option (dynamic on), you'll find yourself scratching your head why you got off an exit 3 ramps earlier. Oh well, your choice.

But as others have said, always have a destination entered in to have detour notifications come up. Note, you can shortcut these destinations on your preset (radio) button trays, so when you jump in the car and you just need to push the buttons without having to look through your address book every time, it'll save you loads of time and keystrokes.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 04:48 PM   #8
ManhattanBMW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F13 M6

Thank you all for your suggestions.
Appreciate 0