01-21-2014, 03:02 AM   #111
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieyalater View Post
i have about 8k miles on my car and still feel the steering wheel vibration when at 100+ miles braking. it only vibrates when i brake at high speed.

I haven't gotten it fixed yet cuz i have tried almost every solution but it hasn't been working. So i've gotten used to it, oh well. Plus I created this account in this forum to find a solution to fix it. But like I said nothing can be done..
Your problem is Disks out of true nothing else.
      01-21-2014, 01:30 PM   #112
Timberwolf
Captain
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Guys my car is approaching 9k miles and the problem persists however is much less than in the first 6k miles. I still want a fix, but my new Turner exhaust has me forgetting entirely about this issue. Not really an acceptable fix... Letting time repair the issue. But I'll deal for now.
      01-22-2014, 05:06 AM   #113
cnes
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E39 M5, F10 M5, F13 M6, F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
Guys my car is approaching 9k miles and the problem persists however is much less than in the first 6k miles. I still want a fix, but my new Turner exhaust has me forgetting entirely about this issue. Not really an acceptable fix... Letting time repair the issue. But I'll deal for now.
I think your service pic was the one i meant to post previously. I thought it was fixed for you. oh well.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 09:35 PM   #114
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

So guys, is this vibration felt kind of like a grinding in the front wheels? I drove two different 2013 M5's this weekend, one with 19k miles and one with 7k miles, and they both had a grinding noise / feel through the wheel over pretty much every bump, almost like something was rubbing. I thought it was maybe a bad wheel bearing on the first car, but the second car had the same issue. That car also had both the steering pump replaced and the entire rack replaced! No wonder it was traded in.

Strongly considering a lightly used M5 but if this is an endemic issue....forget it.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 03:00 AM   #115
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
So guys, is this vibration felt kind of like a grinding in the front wheels? I drove two different 2013 M5's this weekend, one with 19k miles and one with 7k miles, and they both had a grinding noise / feel through the wheel over pretty much every bump, almost like something was rubbing. I thought it was maybe a bad wheel bearing on the first car, but the second car had the same issue. That car also had both the steering pump replaced and the entire rack replaced! No wonder it was traded in.

Strongly considering a lightly used M5 but if this is an endemic issue....forget it.
I drove two different M5's before going for one, Neither did this.
Where the US cars built somewhere other than Germany?.
      01-24-2014, 08:42 AM   #116
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post

I drove two different M5's before going for one, Neither did this.
Where the US cars built somewhere other than Germany?.
Lol, no, built in Germany.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 05:22 PM   #117
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP Dinan Stage 2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf

No bit grinding. That's prob the bearing gone bad
      02-01-2014, 08:54 AM   #118
UnfoundLegend
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 F13 M6 Coupe

Guys my vibration is becoming so bad that it's worth to lemon the entire car at this point. I talked to bmw of NA they have no answer for me. Went to the dealership multiple times. Last thing to do for me is to test drive other M5's and this is in no way acceptable of a car like this, so I'm thinking it has to do with specifically my car.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 11:49 AM   #119
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfoundLegend View Post
Guys my vibration is becoming so bad that it's worth to lemon the entire car at this point. I talked to bmw of NA they have no answer for me. Went to the dealership multiple times. Last thing to do for me is to test drive other M5's and this is in no way acceptable of a car like this, so I'm thinking it has to do with specifically my car.
Do you have the 20"s on the car? I ask because I sometimes still get the dreaded high speed vibration with them on the car, but my OEM 19" wheels with a set of Pirelli Sottozeros, which aren't known for being easy to balance, are completely smooth. I do wonder if on some cars the harmonics of the 20"s are just not 'tuned' to the suspension somehow.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Bish
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 01:29 PM   #120
elitex
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 M8C Coupe, 21 X5MC

Garage List
This is interesting as I thought that the M5 didn't suffer from the same issue as the regular 5 series.

I went through a lemon process with my 12 550I as I had vibration issues as well. I noticed it the day I drove it home. They replaced all the tires, checked all the wheels. Switched wheels from another 550I which was not vibrating. Nothing made it better.

My M5 has no vibrations at all. There is a lot of road vibrations coming through which is normal. Remember, if they change with road surface then it's normal but if the frequency stays the same then who knows.
21 X5M MBB, 20 Evora GT, 20 C63S Coupe,19 X5 50i, 18 Giulia QV, 18 M5, 17 Evora 400, 18 LX570, 17 GT350,18 M4 Comp,17 R8 V10 ,17 M3 Comp,17 GT350,16 Escalade Plat ESV, 16 570S,16 911 GTS,15 M5, 15 LX570, 13 M5,13 Viper,14 Cayman S,13 M3,13 S4,10 RX8,12 A4,10 G37, 04 Mini Cooper S, 08 Scion TC, 06 Altima V6, 05 Altima, 01 Altima, 00 Altima, 94 Explorer, 92 Toyota Pickup, 98 Altima
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 03:02 PM   #121
UnfoundLegend
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elitex View Post
This is interesting as I thought that the M5 didn't suffer from the same issue as the regular 5 series.

I went through a lemon process with my 12 550I as I had vibration issues as well. I noticed it the day I drove it home. They replaced all the tires, checked all the wheels. Switched wheels from another 550I which was not vibrating. Nothing made it better.

My M5 has no vibrations at all. There is a lot of road vibrations coming through which is normal. Remember, if they change with road surface then it's normal but if the frequency stays the same then who knows.
I have the 20" on the car yes.

And I had a 13 550i for a few weeks and that had one of the smoothest steering wheels I've ever felt to be quite honest. M5 is on an entirely different level when it comes to the vibration. It's so bad I refuse to take it on long highway trips because it will leave my hand shaking the rest of the day. All M cars have "road feel" to them coming through the steering wheel, but not a constant frequency vibration. I guess this is why you never buy first model year cars even though I wanted the m4.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 04:58 PM   #122
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfoundLegend View Post

And I had a 13 550i for a few weeks and that had one of the smoothest steering wheels I've ever felt to be quite honest. M5 is on an entirely different level when it comes to the vibration. It's so bad I refuse to take it on long highway trips because it will leave my hand shaking the rest of the day. All M cars have "road feel" to them coming through the steering wheel, but not a constant frequency vibration. I guess this is why you never buy first model year cars even though I wanted the m4.
To have the car leave you with CTS when you've driven it any distance means that there's something very wrong in the suspension imho, and most if not all steering/suspension components should be replaced by the dealership. Yes my car has the vibration with the 20"s at about 80 mph but it is barely noticeable with age.
Bish
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 05:41 PM   #123
elitex
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfoundLegend
Quote:

That's what I am saying. If it's constant and same frequency then definitely not normal.
21 X5M MBB, 20 Evora GT, 20 C63S Coupe,19 X5 50i, 18 Giulia QV, 18 M5, 17 Evora 400, 18 LX570, 17 GT350,18 M4 Comp,17 R8 V10 ,17 M3 Comp,17 GT350,16 Escalade Plat ESV, 16 570S,16 911 GTS,15 M5, 15 LX570, 13 M5,13 Viper,14 Cayman S,13 M3,13 S4,10 RX8,12 A4,10 G37, 04 Mini Cooper S, 08 Scion TC, 06 Altima V6, 05 Altima, 01 Altima, 00 Altima, 94 Explorer, 92 Toyota Pickup, 98 Altima
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 08:07 PM   #124
UnfoundLegend
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's what I am saying. If it's constant and same frequency then definitely not normal.
If you had it as bad as it is in my car at this point, it would be the very first thing you would notice. What is your build date? Mine is 10/12.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 08:09 PM   #125
elitex
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfoundLegend
Quote:
If you had it as bad as it is in my car at this point, it would be the very first thing you would notice. What is your build date? Mine is 10/12.
Mine is 3/13. I think I have the revised steering.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 08:15 PM   #126
UnfoundLegend
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Mine is 3/13. I think I have the revised steering.
That's what I read somewhere online--that the steering was revised. Yet there is no revision for the old production models? I don't get it. Really annoying literally takes away from the whole driving experience most of the time.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 06:53 PM   #127
mpower3330
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Comp

Has anyone heard of a SIB for this? I have this at 50+ speeds on imperfect road surfaces. Feels like my hands are going numb after awhile. It is definitely much worse at the 12 and 6 o'clock positions on the steering wheel. Except for this issue the car is amazing.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 05:29 PM   #128
mpower3330
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Comp

Has anyone heard of a SIB for this? I have this at 50+ speeds on imperfect road surfaces. Feels like my hands are going numb after awhile. It is definitely much worse at the 12 and 6 o'clock positions on the steering wheel. Except for this issue the car is amazing.

Car is currently in the shop for this and would like to tell them the specific SIB for it.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 11:07 AM   #129
GratefulM5
Living the Dream
Rep
Drives: '19 M850i Convertible, '19 X5

Well, as stated above I was also in the group with the steering vibration…i also posted this reply to Sham's thread (although his seems to be non related to driving). Mine was driving related and was progressive that worsened from 80+ mph, really noticeable at 100+ especially when cruising at constant speed or coasting. It was unrelated to the road surface and had an oscillating 'hum" to it that tended to make the hands feel like they were going numb for a while.

Long story short (well, maybe not so short), i finally took my car in for scheduled oil change and had them take a look at it. I explained that it had been there since i picked the car up new and that i had given the car some time and miles to see if it "work itself out" incase it was just a matter of breaking the tires or some of the components in as was previously suggested by some other forum members- i even sent my service advisor the link to the thread and he said his technician would look into it if needed.

They found that the front and rear right wheels were bent (rear worse than front). i had fortunately bought the tire and wheel package which covers road hazards It took 2 weeks of my dealer sending numerous pics to the stinking insurance company who handles the policies. The technician stated you can really see the wheel "hop" when on the machine, but it was difficult to show the bend in a still photo. Afterteh 2 weeks they approved and paid for the rear wheel replacement since they could see a tire mark on the rim which was apparently a sign of a good hit (mind you I never recalled hitting any major potholes in the 7000 miles I've had it), but they declined to cover the front one (acknowledged it was bent, but they said they couldn't be sure it was from a road hazard as there was no tire rub marks on the rim (WTF???).

My dealer was great , but it took an extra week of going back and forth, with the service manager sending the insurance co and BMW NA several messages (of which he rarely got a timely response). The dealer felt like it should have been covered because that main question was with normal daily driving how could i have bent the rear without hitting the front? And in the small chance that it was bent without hitting something, that means the wheel was defective to begin with; either way, we all agreed that the wheel should be replaced either as a defect or damaged from a hazard. So after 3 weeks of waiting (and my dealer getting no reply) i had a couple of very friendly conversations about BMW NA, the insurance co they use for their tire and wheel package, and the basic concept of customer service for a 6-figure car, especially when what we were requesting made perfect sense.

During the wait time in the final week I had them swap out my wheel with one from another M5 they had with miles on it to see if it would truly make a difference and they said the car rode smooth with no shudder/vibrations as before. The service manager sounded frustrated with BMW NA and they decided to goodwill my front wheel and bill BMW NA for it (he said that would get their attention). Just to be sure I also had an alignment done (mine wasn't way off, but i wanted to be sure). I've had the car back for a week now and on several occasions of faster driving, i can finally say that sensation is gone.

Now all I need to do is have them fix these damn rattles. All in all, I'm happy to have my car back and happy the vibration is gone. I love this car How the hell did both right wheels have bends? Could the front really have been a defect or i just hit something that didn't seem bad at the time? i don't' know about the latter because I picked the car up myself and it only had 5 miles on the odometer and i could feel it on the highway on the drive home… Hmmm

Hell is where the police are German, the chefs are British, the mechanics are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organized by the Italians.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 02:07 PM   #130
Timberwolf
Captain
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Guys,
I started this thread, and have 10600 miles on my car and will say that the vibration has gone away for the most part. I don't notice it, and I actually enjoy the car even more now. In the last 1000 miles, I did H&R lowering springs and even with the firmer/lower ride, the vibration is gone. Thank goodness, because the perpetual vibration was a deal breaker. Wish you guys luck with your cars, but it seems like miles help the issue.

Greg
      06-04-2014, 09:48 AM   #131
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 Competition

I still get it on bad roads, and after a 2 hour or so drive I find my hands tingling afterwards...
      12-04-2014, 03:21 AM   #132
coolting
Registered
Rep
Drives: M5

I have a 12 F10 M5, and only recently did I take it for a long drive > 3hrs.

I never googled this issue as I never noticed it on short drives, but boy after 3 hrs ... my hands tinggled with numbness. The car has already more than 15k miles on it so I'm thinking this is not mileage related. I have not brought it in for balancing etc but its happening at very very slow speeds ... even at idle but its just not that prominent.

I'm wondering whether changing those gaskets, bushings etc is going to help.
Appreciate 0