M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > F10 M5 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, and European Delivery

11-13-2014, 12:17 AM   #1
E90potentialbuyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 / 2009 335i xDrive

Planning my ED - suggestions

Guys,

I am planning my ED with wife (leaving the kid at home with gran parents). Flying from NYC to Munich on May 22 for delivery on morning of 23rd. Need to fly back to US on May 31st. Wife wants to do Lake Como and Capri. And I want to hit San Bernadino Pass on the way. Suggestions on how to pack it all in / doable? Can fly back from any airport.

- Open to dropping the M5 in Zurich, but would prefer to keep it for entire trip
- Believe if I keep it for entire trip, I will hit the 1200 mile mark, so would need to get it serviced. How much time does that take? and would need to figure out whereabouts that should happen.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 12:36 AM   #2
M5KRZI
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 E46 M - Retired

hey - sounds a little ambitious to me for a one week trip - assuming you'd do Munich to Naples and back up through Lake Como to Zurich? either way i think you'd be essentially driving for the entire trip without any real down time for an espresso.

my fiancee and i took delivery mid April this year - had a awesome time - for us it went by pretty fast and we were there for 15 days. Lake Como is awesome and we'd highly recommend you try The Grand Tremezzo (http://www.grandhoteltremezzo.com/). we also rented a boat for the day and motored down to Como for lunch - we were there for 3 days. we also used Courtyard Travel - they are super helpful and came recommended from several folks on the forum.

when i dropped off my car we'd racked up 1,887 miles - didn't have time and knew they'd get it sorted at the VPC upon redelivery.

good luck!

a
      11-19-2014, 07:18 AM   #3
E90potentialbuyer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5KRZI
hey - sounds a little ambitious to me for a one week trip - assuming you'd do Munich to Naples and back up through Lake Como to Zurich? either way i think you'd be essentially driving for the entire trip without any real down time for an espresso.

my fiancee and i took delivery mid April this year - had a awesome time - for us it went by pretty fast and we were there for 15 days. Lake Como is awesome and we'd highly recommend you try The Grand Tremezzo (http://www.grandhoteltremezzo.com/). we also rented a boat for the day and motored down to Como for lunch - we were there for 3 days. we also used Courtyard Travel - they are super helpful and came recommended from several folks on the forum.

when i dropped off my car we'd racked up 1,887 miles - didn't have time and knew they'd get it sorted at the VPC upon redelivery.

good luck!

a
Hmm. Planned itinerary for now is
. Pickup in muc on 23 at 11 am
. Arrive at como in evening. Thanks for the hotel suggestion
. Stay in como til evening of 25 then drive to milan ( can skip Milan)
. Stay in Milan for a day
. 2 days in Rome
. 3 days in Amalfi
. A day to drive back to Munich (same distance back to Zurich or Munich so may as well drop in Munich)
. Drop off in Munich in June 1st morning and catch flight back to US.

It's a long way to Amalfi from como. Anything you can recommend to shorten? Maybe leave the car in como and fly to Rome? But I have heard horror stories of cars getting stolen in Italy - so I don't know if I want to leave car unattended / unchecked for a few days.
2017 Fiat 500C Abarth
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 04:46 PM   #4
M5KRZI
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 E46 M - Retired

if you do decide to stay at the Tremezzo - you can ask if you can park there for a few days as they've got a self contained garage and your M5 will likely be the cheapest car in the lot - mine was.

logistically - a train/flight combo could work, but now your trip will have to factor that schedule into your time table. also for the time estimates - you need to add 1-2hrs on average as you'll hit traffic. the other option is add 4 days to the trip...

its ambitious and you MUST share pictures and your story with the group when pull it off!

a
      11-20-2014, 09:28 PM   #5
E90potentialbuyer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5KRZI View Post
if you do decide to stay at the Tremezzo - you can ask if you can park there for a few days as they've got a self contained garage and your M5 will likely be the cheapest car in the lot - mine was.

logistically - a train/flight combo could work, but now your trip will have to factor that schedule into your time table. also for the time estimates - you need to add 1-2hrs on average as you'll hit traffic. the other option is add 4 days to the trip...

its ambitious and you MUST share pictures and your story with the group when pull it off!

a
Good suggestions. Thanks! And yes of course there will be a photo journal!

I am looking into the Tremezzo
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 10:15 PM   #6
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP Dinan Stage 2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90potentialbuyer View Post
I am looking into the Tremezzo
Great Hotel & fondue restaurant. Make sure you ride the ferry (walking - not much parking - its like a 15 min ride over) to Bellagio and get some nice silks. We made the mistake of driving all the way around the lake ( takes HOURS) in the ///M. The roads are made for one-way Mini's and Fiats not the wide ///M...let alone two way traffic.... lots of traffic jams and heart wrenching blind turns. I finally let a cab pass us then we stuck on his tail so we knew what turns were coming up. We needed to put lots of miles on her for the 1200 mile break in....

Last edited by Spinny02; 11-22-2014 at 10:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 09:07 PM   #7
E90potentialbuyer
Captain
United_States
Rep

So my ED trip is significantly shorter. Picking up the car on May 21st at 2 pm (Friday), and returning on May 22 (Saturday) at 11 AM. I am flying out of Munich at 7 PM for Italy.
Do you guys have any suggestions for what to do in Munich during this time? I really want to drive to Stelvio Pass but not sure if its doable with the timing. Can you guys suggest:
1. Is Stelvio doable on Friday after pickup.
2. Food suggestions in Munich
3. We basically have all day in Munich on Saturday. Are things generally open? I spent a fair bit o time in Stuttgart a while ago and it was a ghost town on weekends. Is Munich similar?
4. Activities (that are open) to do in Munich or any other must see / do places?

Thanks,
2017 Fiat 500C Abarth
Appreciate 0