BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

10-26-2015, 10:19 AM   #1
MDEEDS71
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Singapore Grey

Engine Oil Temp Fluctuations: Constant

All,

I am at around 4800 miles on my M5. Today on a trip back from Austria to Germany, I notices the Engine Oil Temp fluctuating constantly anywhere from 190 to 225-230 almost rhythmical. When the car was shut down, and the fans are off the temp was still fluctuating but not with the larger swings...about 1/2 of what I saw when I was driving.

Engine was heat soaked as we noticed it around 2 hours into the drive. No other DTM/Check Control messages. Temp never went above 235 or so even when taking it up to 130mph for about 10 minutes. Temp outside was 50f.

Called the service rep back in the states that takes care of the wife X5 and he found no service or updates pertaining to this situation. His thoughts were not different to mine. Oil temp sensing/sending unit may be going bad. This may also relate to the fact I cannot get launch control to work as well.

Thoughts?

As well, does anyone know where the oil temp sensor is located? Really do not want them to drop my oil pan here.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0