M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

03-02-2013, 07:24 PM   #1
Timberwolf
Captain
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Love my new m5... BUT steering vibration!!!

I am getting this horrible high frequency vibration through my steering wheel at almost any speed especially over imperfections in the road. It's not an alignmeng or wheel balance issue cause it feels like a tuning fork type frequency. The result is i feel as if i've been using a power tool and get tingling in my hands after a decent drive! The same thing was was noted by cnet here at 6:35 minutes in:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=645771

Some say that it goes away, but for me its very unpleasant to the point where ill get rid of it if its not remedied. Any input would be great.

Thanks

Greg.
      03-02-2013, 08:05 PM   #2
MDyDinanM
OIF Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [6.88]
same issue has been noted on M5board:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/f10...ing-issue.html
Intakes, 13% Underdrive pulley, 3.91 Differential, RPI Scoops.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 08:31 PM   #3
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3CS BX7

Dumb question did you turn off lane departure warning or blind spot detection - those both vibrate the steering wheel excessively. When I changed my settings to "off" it all went away and have not had an issues.
      03-02-2013, 08:39 PM   #4
Timberwolf
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhn2000 View Post
Dumb question did you turn off lane departure warning or blind spot detection - those both vibrate the steering wheel excessively. When I changed my settings to "off" it all went away and have not had an issues.
I dont have that option...
      03-02-2013, 09:09 PM   #5
Timberwolf
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
I dont have that option...
Thank you.. I read that, and it "seems" mileage rectifies this...
Can't believe bmw would deliver a car with this....
      03-02-2013, 10:37 PM   #6
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

I am the one who started that thread. No worries, mileage does eliminate that. I don't feel it anymore and it's not because I got used to it. I would still feel if it's there as it was a contrast compared to my M3. It's indeed annoying that M releases the car with such glaring flaws. The front passenger seat belt clip that bangs against the B-pillar causing that annoying rattle, rear spring issue, earlier oil pump issue, etc...You would think those countless miles of testing would address such obvious issues...
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 06:43 AM   #7
Timberwolf
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clar View Post
I am the one who started that thread. No worries, mileage does eliminate that. I don't feel it anymore and it's not because I got used to it. I would still feel if it's there as it was a contrast compared to my M3. It's indeed annoying that M releases the car with such glaring flaws. The front passenger seat belt clip that bangs against the B-pillar causing that annoying rattle, rear spring issue, earlier oil pump issue, etc...You would think those countless miles of testing would address such obvious issues...
Clar,
I sincerely hope it does cause it's debilitating for me. I use computers all day so between minor carpel tunnel and what not the vibration aggravates the sensations in my hands in the worst way. I literally feel it for hours after driving. Everyone asks me "so do you love it?!" And I don't know how to respond! :/
Thanks for chiming in

Greg
      03-03-2013, 10:39 AM   #8
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

I had this with the OEM 20" wheels/tyres. It was certainly noticeable between 70-80 mph. I didn't even mention it to my SA when I went in for the 1200 mile service as I was afraid they would screw it up worse. After about 2500 it went away, and now at 5400 miles it's not present. However, it was pretty minor as far as an imbalance goes. If yours is really bad, then perhaps it is a true unbalanced wheel/tyre combo. Find a place with a Hunter Road Force machine and have them check the run out of the wheel and tyre.
Bish
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 08:19 PM   #9
racer10
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i

Quote:
I am getting this horrible high frequency vibration through my steering wheel at almost any speed especially over imperfections in the road. It's not an alignmeng or wheel balance issue cause it feels like a tuning fork type frequency. The result is i feel as if i've been using a power tool and get tingling in my hands after a decent drive! The same thing was was noted by cnet here at 6:35 minutes in:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=645771

Some say that it goes away, but for me its very unpleasant to the point where ill get rid of it if its not remedied. Any input would be great.

Thanks

Greg.
I have it too and from day one with the car. Last service visit for brake squeal i asked service to look at it. They did there best and re-balanced wheels but admit it is still present. I described the problem to service as : the steering wheel "hums" in my hands. It is fatiguing . Frankly I try not to focous on it . It is mostly a problem during highway driving which I don't do much of. I don't know what to say about the car, in alot of respects it is a wonderful car , probadly made better if you track the car because those benefits may cause you to just overlook its flaws. I have to tell you that while I mostly like the car the ownership experience these past 7 months has been mixed for me. I have had first year A8L, Z06 and 997.2 porsche with PDK. None of those cars has been any where near as problematic as the issues I have either experienced or read about on this forum. Lets hope that BMW gets it together and that there is a software fix for this vibration/hum issue, or if not that the MY 2014 at least has it eliminated.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 06:36 AM   #10
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
I had this issue when my car was new. It was diagnosed to an out of round front left tire. Michelin defect.

They replaced the tire, did a road force balancing, and car is super smooth now.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 09:48 AM   #11
Timberwolf
Captain
Rep

I'm not sold on the tire thing as I can still feel minor hum at a standstill. As if power steering fluid were low. Then from 40mph and up any road surface or bump transfers a harmonic high frequency buzz as if a steering servo were bolted directly to the steering column. My wife said it's like it has a motor inside it. The DCT gear shifter does not have that at all. I am going to write BMWNA and see what gives.
      03-04-2013, 10:09 AM   #12
Timberwolf
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer10 View Post
I have it too and from day one with the car. Last service visit for brake squeal i asked service to look at it. They did there best and re-balanced wheels but admit it is still present. I described the problem to service as : the steering wheel "hums" in my hands. It is fatiguing . Frankly I try not to focous on it . It is mostly a problem during highway driving which I don't do much of. I don't know what to say about the car, in alot of respects it is a wonderful car , probadly made better if you track the car because those benefits may cause you to just overlook its flaws. I have to tell you that while I mostly like the car the ownership experience these past 7 months has been mixed for me. I have had first year A8L, Z06 and 997.2 porsche with PDK. None of those cars has been any where near as problematic as the issues I have either experienced or read about on this forum. Lets hope that BMW gets it together and that there is a software fix for this vibration/hum issue, or if not that the MY 2014 at least has it eliminated.
I've had some of the same cars, almost exactly, and have never had any such issue. If that is BMW's attempt to introduce extra road-feel, it is a wild fail. I have contacts on the inside, so hope the letter gets to the correct eyes asap.

G
      03-04-2013, 10:36 AM   #13
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'm not sold on the tire thing as I can still feel minor hum at a standstill. As if power steering fluid were low. Then from 40mph and up any road surface or bump transfers a harmonic high frequency buzz as if a steering servo were bolted directly to the steering column. My wife said it's like it has a motor inside it. The DCT gear shifter does not have that at all. I am going to write BMWNA and see what gives.
Well my issue was purely tire related. Now the steering is as vibration free as my Lexus.

It could be the lane departure and blindspot warning system vibration motor is malfunctioning.

Have you taken it to the dealer? You didn't say anything about dealers diagnostic in your first post...
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 10:43 AM   #14
Timberwolf
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
Well my issue was purely tire related. Now the steering is as vibration free as my Lexus.

It could be the lane departure and blindspot warning system vibration motor is malfunctioning.

Have you taken it to the dealer? You didn't say anything about dealers diagnostic in your first post...
I literally picked the car up Friday so have only told my salesmen. I did however have a friend who works for BMWNA drive it with me, he asked that I send him a letter which he would pass along to the engineers.

My car does not have the lane departure feature so it can't be that unless a universal part that is lane departure related that is causing this in cars not equipped with that. If that makes sense.
      03-04-2013, 10:46 AM   #15
Timberwolf
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Racer10,
Do you have Lane Departure in your car?
      03-04-2013, 11:30 AM   #16
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I literally picked the car up Friday so have only told my salesmen. I did however have a friend who works for BMWNA drive it with me, he asked that I send him a letter which he would pass along to the engineers.

My car does not have the lane departure feature so it can't be that unless a universal part that is lane departure related that is causing this in cars not equipped with that. If that makes sense.
My guess is that its a servotronic failure.

FWIW I think BMW should have gone with electric steering on the M5 instead of hydraulic. Electric Power Steering is much more reliable. Porsche used electric power steering in the 991. While the BMW steering has better feel, it is so complex, that issues like yours can arise. EPS can deliver this functionality in a simpler way.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 11:41 AM   #17
Timberwolf
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
My guess is that its a servotronic failure.

FWIW I think BMW should have gone with electric steering on the M5 instead of hydraulic. Electric Power Steering is much more reliable. Porsche used electric power steering in the 991. While the BMW steering has better feel, it is so complex, that issues like yours can arise. EPS can deliver this functionality in a simpler way.
You nailed it on the head with the "servotronics". It's exactly what it feels like.
      03-04-2013, 12:19 PM   #18
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Id take hydraulic steering all day over Electronic---- I have/had two electronic benz steering cars, the understeer is incredible in high speed turns and even sharper lower speed corners.

Maybe its just Benz LOL

Now the Black Series I have is another story but its not electronic.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 01:37 PM   #19
Timberwolf
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
Id take hydraulic steering all day over Electronic---- I have/had two electronic benz steering cars, the understeer is incredible in high speed turns and even sharper lower speed corners.

Maybe its just Benz LOL

Lol I'd be tempted to have the standard 5 series electronic steering swapped in to have no buzzz! Stupid but the buzzing is like chinese water torture for me.
      03-04-2013, 03:13 PM   #20
racer10
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i

Quote:
Racer10,
Do you have Lane Departure in your car?
Yes I have lane departure feature. To my mind the only way the problem goes away with mileage is because the tire rubber is worn down a bit meaning it will be back with a new set of OEM rubber.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 03:32 PM   #21
Timberwolf
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yes I have lane departure feature. To my mind the only way the problem goes away with mileage is because the tire rubber is worn down a bit meaning it will be back with a new set of OEM rubber.
Exactly right. I opted for the wheel and tire protection since our roads are disastrous in the Northeast, so adding a new set of Michelin's will revive the issue.

To me it might be the large diameter wheels amplifying vibration like a tuning fork, which the spokes are shaped like. Then take a steering setup that is trying to maximize feel synthetically and you have this as a result. I would guess that a car with the 19s might not have this issue. I could be very wrong.
      03-04-2013, 04:08 PM   #22
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post

Maybe its just Benz LOL

EPS doesn't cause understeer. Understeer is caused by tire size choices, weight distribution and balance. Mercedes engineers their cars to understeer because their conservative drivers would freak out if they had a car with oversteer. The Black series is obviously designed more like a BMW.

My Dinan 550i had more of an oversteer characteristic with stock tires.

The 911 doesn't have an understeer issue either.
Appreciate 0