04-25-2016, 06:09 PM   #24
GarbageMan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
That's closer to 2 F10 M5s!
You said a mouthful... As I drove away from dropping off my deposit, I kind of "shook my head"-at myself! That said, I know I will love it. I'm still conflicted on the exterior color, but the interior is set-(Bordeaux and Black). On the outside, I am agonizing over Carerra White Metallic, or the conservative (but classy) GT Silver Metallic... Any votes or compelling arguments?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 06:26 PM   #25
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarbageMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
That's closer to 2 F10 M5s!
You said a mouthful... As I drove away from dropping off my deposit, I kind of "shook my head"-at myself! That said, I know I will love it. I'm still conflicted on the exterior color, but the interior is set-(Bordeaux and Black). On the outside, I am agonizing over Carerra White Metallic, or the conservative (but classy) GT Silver Metallic... Any votes or compelling arguments?
No need to second guess yourself. This car is amazing. I am hoping to buy a 991.1 version sometime this year when I sell my current car.

I've seen a lot of these cars. The white looks good, but I think in white the drama of the curves is less pronounced. White wouldn't be my first choice. I think the best colors on this car are:
- Agate Grey
- GT Silver
- Sapphire Blue (my favorite)

The grey and silver for some reason really exaggerate the drama of the curves and the width of the wide body.

I think GT Silver with two-tone Black/Carrera Red interior would be amazing.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 08:21 PM   #26
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 X7 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
I'll probably be moving into an X5M. I just don't utilize the M5 enough to really appreciate and and would like to get a SUV. So, the X5M is the clear choice for me.

'25 M5 Touring (on the list, first slot)
'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 08:35 PM   #27
E90potentialbuyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 / 2009 335i xDrive

I have a small family so need the 4 doors. I think "a" M5 stays at all times. No better car for the money or as capable as this is or as luxurious as this is. I'm thinking of buying this out given how much I like the beast. But will wait till the lease is up.

2nd car - XC90 T6 Inscription for when the weather is ugly or just need a lot of space. It's the best SUV on the market. I was thinking between Range Rover Sport and XC90 and got the XC90. Superb car.

3rd car - to be added shortly - AMG GTS. Love the way it looks, sounds and drives. My only gripe is that MB won't let me customize the colors unlike M cars. But I have come to peace with it and working on doing a European delivery next spring. I was thinking hard about 2017 R8. Haven't driven it but just can't convince myself to love the way it looks. Settled on the AMG

Panamera is butt ugly and that console running through the tranny tunnel makes it useless as a proper family car and cramped in the back. E63 AMG S may be worth looking out for. I think the S class looks gorgeous and the essentially shrunken look in C class works. But again, it's in between look of C and full shape of S class in E doesn't look right. I think I may go test drive the Audi S8 at some point when the lease is about to be up. The AWD in the car along with power, space and luxury at a similar price point is quite enticing.
2017 Fiat 500C Abarth
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 08:38 PM   #28
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

i'm still 3 yrs away from that point, but i want a true performance car.

so it may be a viper. last gen, v10, lightweight, stick, balls out car.

and probably an old school lexus to actually drive daily.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 11:29 PM   #29
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90potentialbuyer
I have a small family so need the 4 doors. I think "a" M5 stays at all times. No better car for the money or as capable as this is or as luxurious as this is. I'm thinking of buying this out given how much I like the beast. But will wait till the lease is up.

2nd car - XC90 T6 Inscription for when the weather is ugly or just need a lot of space. It's the best SUV on the market. I was thinking between Range Rover Sport and XC90 and got the XC90. Superb car.

3rd car - to be added shortly - AMG GTS. Love the way it looks, sounds and drives. My only gripe is that MB won't let me customize the colors unlike M cars. But I have come to peace with it and working on doing a European delivery next spring. I was thinking hard about 2017 R8. Haven't driven it but just can't convince myself to love the way it looks. Settled on the AMG

Panamera is butt ugly and that console running through the tranny tunnel makes it useless as a proper family car and cramped in the back. E63 AMG S may be worth looking out for. I think the S class looks gorgeous and the essentially shrunken look in C class works. But again, it's in between look of C and full shape of S class in E doesn't look right. I think I may go test drive the Audi S8 at some point when the lease is about to be up. The AWD in the car along with power, space and luxury at a similar price point is quite enticing.
On the GTS Mercedes does allow you to customize color, however you have to pick a previous MB color - you can't design your own color with CMY ratios.

But the designo color options are quite extensive. Like with BMW, dealers often don't know how to do this so you may need to escalate.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 12:55 AM   #30
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13M5F10 View Post
Ive had quiet a few cars and with my current setup, I'm not sure there is much out there that compares. Hard to compare apples to oranges. I've test driven the E63 and I am not a fan however I do love the S63 AMG but not for 180k lol

I plan to have my first baby within the next two years, I've been thinking hard about trading to a 1500HD GMC Denali with a 6" lift.

This is what I have in mind haha

Just noticed this is a canyon and not the 1500. Unable to edit the picture
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbdurham17 View Post
Funny same here and similar circumstance on the truck. Thought I was the only one. Just moved from city to the suburbs at the lake so looking at boats and family situation has changed. Lease is up in November and I'm all over the place

M3cp
X5/X6M (there is X6 specd how I want at local dealer)
Yukon Denali
1500 Denali truck
I have both a Yukon XL and 1500 truck right now. The Yukon is the much nicer vehicle. There are several luxury options that are simply not available on the truck no matter what trim level. The two majors for me are comfort access/keyless start and rain sensing wipers.

Another issue for some is that the ride in the truck is not good unless it is loaded. This isn't an issue to me most of the time, but it is significantly different from the Yukon. You can get the magnetic ride which fixes the issue, but no lifts or even leveling kits with that setup.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 01:41 AM   #31
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punitive View Post
I am in the same boat. My M5 goes back next month. What are the thoughts on the CTS-V, I have yet to see this car in the flesh. Is it in the mainstream? Seems like a low production car. Will this hold me over til the new M5 or E63.

The X5M also looks tempting.
I just test drove the CTS-V tonight. All I can say is wow...

For some background my last four daily drivers are M4, F10 M5, 750Li, and E90 M3. I also concurrently have owned several GMC trucks as well. Right now I have an M4, GMC Sierra 1500, 428i Convertible, 328i, and GMC Yukon XL.

Now for my impression of the CTS-V. First off pictures do not do the car justice especially with the carbon package. I am not a fan of the standard CTS and even in pictures the CTS-V didn't really do it for me. Luckily my buddy is a buyer for one of the big Cadillac dealerships here in Socal. He got one in and told me I had to see it in person. It has serious presence.

From a tech perspective there are a lot of nice touches in the CTS, but no real difference from the M5. The dash setup is way nicer in the CTS. Complaints about CUE are overblown. There was definitely a lag with the old system in my current vehicles, but I don't even notice the difference between iDrive and CUE now. The new updated processors take care of all of the lags that I experienced in the past.

Granularity of setup is not as good as the M5. Some may miss the ability to setup throttle response, steering weight and suspension damping independently, most will not. There is also no equivalent of the M button so the car has to be setup to your desired settings. Probably an extra 15 seconds after startup.

The magnetic ride in the CTS is next level compared to the M5. There is simply no comparison between the two. I hit some rough roads at speed that make me cringe in my M4 and even my M5 and it did not unsettle the CTS-V at all. I can understand why it has been licensed by other performance manufacturers.

The transmission I found to be much nicer and more responsive in auto mode. The shift logic is so good that the manual shifting is really just for fun. It was slightly less responsive than DCT in manual mode though. Not enough of a difference to say it is bad, but I did notice a slight lag during one of my manual shifts. I would probably still be in manual mode most of the time for just involvement and fun.

For the motor, I did not push it at all. I thought my M5 was fast enough and the CTS-V is even faster from every report. I wanted to make sure I did not take it full throttle or over 4K since it had 3 miles when I got in it. It felt strong for sure though. Exhaust note was OK and I would rate it similar and maybe even a little better than the M5.

From a handling perspective the car felt great in my limited test drive. Very well balanced with better turn in and a much lighter overall feel compared to the M5. It seemed to shrink around me at speed which was the exact opposite feeling I got with my M5. I simply did not want to stop driving the CTS.

It would be in my garage right now except for the rarity of them. Since there are so few they do not want to sell at supplier or Costco pricing. I respect that there are people willing to pay sticker or even over sticker right now for them, but knowing I could save $7K in a few months is making me patient.

Personally I think that Cadillac has found the magic that made the E39 such a great car. BMW has gotten too focused on M as a business and lost focus on the cars. I do believe the current F8X platform has made big steps towards rectifying this and I hope to see the new M5 replacement continue the march back to greatness. For those of you that want to say the M5 is better without having driven it? Put brand loyalty aside and spend some time in the new Caddy. It will definitely surprise you. For me right now, I will be voting with my wallet for the CTS-V.

BTW I did just test drive the X5M and it was a lot of fun. It is a great balance of functionality and performance. Really we are splitting hairs will all of these great cars and these are the definition of first world problems!
Appreciate 2
      04-26-2016, 05:23 AM   #32
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salespunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punitive View Post
I am in the same boat. My M5 goes back next month. What are the thoughts on the CTS-V, I have yet to see this car in the flesh. Is it in the mainstream? Seems like a low production car. Will this hold me over til the new M5 or E63.

The X5M also looks tempting.
I just test drove the CTS-V tonight. All I can say is wow...

For some background my last four daily drivers are M4, F10 M5, 750Li, and E90 M3. I also concurrently have owned several GMC trucks as well. Right now I have an M4, GMC Sierra 1500, 428i Convertible, 328i, and GMC Yukon XL.

Now for my impression of the CTS-V. First off pictures do not do the car justice especially with the carbon package. I am not a fan of the standard CTS and even in pictures the CTS-V didn't really do it for me. Luckily my buddy is a buyer for one of the big Cadillac dealerships here in Socal. He got one in and told me I had to see it in person. It has serious presence.

From a tech perspective there are a lot of nice touches in the CTS, but no real difference from the M5. The dash setup is way nicer in the CTS. Complaints about CUE are overblown. There was definitely a lag with the old system in my current vehicles, but I don't even notice the difference between iDrive and CUE now. The new updated processors take care of all of the lags that I experienced in the past.

Granularity of setup is not as good as the M5. Some may miss the ability to setup throttle response, steering weight and suspension damping independently, most will not. There is also no equivalent of the M button so the car has to be setup to your desired settings. Probably an extra 15 seconds after startup.

The magnetic ride in the CTS is next level compared to the M5. There is simply no comparison between the two. I hit some rough roads at speed that make me cringe in my M4 and even my M5 and it did not unsettle the CTS-V at all. I can understand why it has been licensed by other performance manufacturers.

The transmission I found to be much nicer and more responsive in auto mode. The shift logic is so good that the manual shifting is really just for fun. It was slightly less responsive than DCT in manual mode though. Not enough of a difference to say it is bad, but I did notice a slight lag during one of my manual shifts. I would probably still be in manual mode most of the time for just involvement and fun.

For the motor, I did not push it at all. I thought my M5 was fast enough and the CTS-V is even faster from every report. I wanted to make sure I did not take it full throttle or over 4K since it had 3 miles when I got in it. It felt strong for sure though. Exhaust note was OK and I would rate it similar and maybe even a little better than the M5.

From a handling perspective the car felt great in my limited test drive. Very well balanced with better turn in and a much lighter overall feel compared to the M5. It seemed to shrink around me at speed which was the exact opposite feeling I got with my M5. I simply did not want to stop driving the CTS.

It would be in my garage right now except for the rarity of them. Since there are so few they do not want to sell at supplier or Costco pricing. I respect that there are people willing to pay sticker or even over sticker right now for them, but knowing I could save $7K in a few months is making me patient.

Personally I think that Cadillac has found the magic that made the E39 such a great car. BMW has gotten too focused on M as a business and lost focus on the cars. I do believe the current F8X platform has made big steps towards rectifying this and I hope to see the new M5 replacement continue the march back to greatness. For those of you that want to say the M5 is better without having driven it? Put brand loyalty aside and spend some time in the new Caddy. It will definitely surprise you. For me right now, I will be voting with my wallet for the CTS-V.

BTW I did just test drive the X5M and it was a lot of fun. It is a great balance of functionality and performance. Really we are splitting hairs will all of these great cars and these are the definition of first world problems!
I wanted to buy the crystal white edition CTS-V before I bought the M6, but the dealer wanted 20k premium for it, so I passed.

I have no doubt the CTS-V is a spectacular performer.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 05:43 AM   #33
shahano
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21' M2C 6spd ,11' 1M, 88' M3

I changed my M5 to a 2015 GT3, and after realizing that it wasnt at all practical and barely drove it, I just sold it and ordered myself a M4 comp Package. Couldn't be more excited.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 06:57 AM   #34
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNALUZU
I'll probably be moving into an X5M. I just don't utilize the M5 enough to really appreciate and and would like to get a SUV. So, the X5M is the clear choice for me.
I have both, the M5 is more fun to drive. But then again, I'm not much of an SUV guy. I would prefer an M3. The F80 M3 was my favorite BMW, I went through 10 BMWs.

Next car would be the F90 M5.
      04-26-2016, 10:01 PM   #35
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 991.1 911 GTS, '16 F85 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Turned my F10 in for a 991.1 GTS as well, but missed the M so I picked up an F85 for my wife.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 10:49 PM   #36
ChrisNich117
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 F10 M5 Alpine White ZCP

Garage List
2009 e92 M3 coupe  [0.00]
2013 F10 M5  [0.00]
New 7 series with a driver, just like it was originally meant for. I'll be able to get plastered in the back seat and never worry about another speeding ticket. Maybe build a heavily modified M4 to be used as a real track car where its potential can actually be utilized. A friend of mine has gone this route and I'm quite intrigued.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 11:40 PM   #37
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNALUZU
I have both, the M5 is more fun to drive. But then again, I'm not much of an SUV guy. I would prefer an M3. The F80 M3 was my favorite BMW, I went through 10 BMWs.

Next car would be the F90 M5.
I have M6, M5, and X5M all at the same time. Yes, M5 is more fun to drive but if need a bigger space, X5M is not a bad choice. It is plenty fast (especially the new one which is even faster than my E70 version).
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 03:12 AM   #38
kcdc368
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550ix, 2017X6

Will decide between the next gen M5 or the new Alfa Romeo Giulia QV
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 03:50 AM   #39
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcdc368
Will decide between the next gen M5 or the new Alfa Romeo Giulia QV
Get the BMW, Italian car qualities are in general suspect.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 12:03 PM   #40
dhirm5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 ZCP, 2014 X5 35d

I'm looking hard at a '17 991.2 C4S (or GTS if they get it out in time). Short term lease - 24 mos or so. That will give me time to evaluate whether I can live with a two seater. Depending on that finding, back to F90 M5, or .. ?
2009 M5 - Carbon Black over Sepang Full (gone - not forgotten)
2001 740i M-Sport - Carbon Black over Black (gone - not forgotten)
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 03:27 PM   #41
E90potentialbuyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 / 2009 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90potentialbuyer

On the GTS Mercedes does allow you to customize color, however you have to pick a previous MB color - you can't design your own color with CMY ratios.

But the designo color options are quite extensive. Like with BMW, dealers often don't know how to do this so you may need to escalate.
Good to know stealth. I have put down a refundable deposit on AMG GTS but will check with dealer on the interior. There was a really nice Designio interior color from E63 AMG 3 years ago that I would love to get. This sales guy is an idiot. What's frustrating is that MB Corp never got back to me.
2017 Fiat 500C Abarth
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 04:09 PM   #42
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

I'm actually thinking of a new z06 if I don't buy a pcar. Only 89k
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 04:29 PM   #43
kcdc368
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550ix, 2017X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatcat View Post
Get the BMW, Italian car qualities are in general suspect.
I have a minivan as a backup
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 04:46 PM   #44
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots View Post
I'm actually thinking of a new z06 if I don't buy a pcar. Only 89k
Z06 is the best bang for the money. They finally fixed the overheating issues at the track. As long as you don't mind hanging out with senior citizens in the Corvette club, it's a great car.