Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

02-15-2014, 04:17 PM   #23
mvigod
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

Garage List
No big deal. You can't come close to using all of what the M5 (or new M3/4) is capable of on any public road. You MUST be on a track to do so, period.

For some perspective. I "thought" I was driving quite fast and aggressive in my F10 M5 as well as my '08 M3. THEN I went to BMW Performance Driving school and realized I wasn't even close.

What held me back on public roads? Many things. Other drivers were number one. Number two is simply the design/configuration of public roads themselves and the increased danger you take on at speed or cornering. Talking about drivers pulling out, deer/animals, if you skid you might end up hitting a tree/pole, etc. Last is risk and fear of getting pulled over. You see all the videos of most street drivers going in short bursts then peeling off pretty quick before they get yanked (except the autobahn).

Ok so at the driving school you have professionally maintained road course. You have safety run off in case you push PAST the limit of the car. You have no worries about law enforcement. It's night and day. Okay so I went significantly faster then I ever did on the public roads and did so for over 5 hours of track time daily.

My next stop is the advanced school at VIR where I'm sure once again as fast as I thought the South Carolina school was I know VIR will be even faster and more challenging.

The basic fact is (and this pertains to the lambo, ferrari, porsche cars/forums too) is that you can't come close to experiencing what these cars can truly do unless you track them. Because of that the small few tenths on any of the 0-60, 0-100 or quarter miles don't matter much on public roads. They are all extremely fast.

Now when I drive my M5 around town or on the highway I know just how much I'm leaving on the table.

Oh yeah, a sidenote. As fast as I thought I was driving at the BMW school which I felt was a 9.5 out of 10 I was way wrong. At the end you go for ride along with instructor. This is when I realized what an M5 was truly capable of in the hands of a pro driver. I gave them a 10. I regraded myself down to a 7. Those guys are that fast and that good. As good a driver as you think you are just go along with one of them and you will be humbled in under 2 minutes. They can take a much slower car and destroy you in your faster car without even trying. Would not believe it unless I saw it and experienced it.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 06:07 PM   #24
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

What makes a car powerful:
- High Engine Output
- Low Vehicle Weight

I expected the M3/M4 to be the fastest M. But I don't want to own a car with a smaller engine (V6), and not as nice interior.

I am happy with the specs of the new M3/M4. It makes you think about the G Series M5. The same tech will carry over, creating a very impressive M5.
      02-16-2014, 12:40 AM   #25
Stash21
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by avlnch
What makes a car powerful:
- High Engine Output
- Low Vehicle Weight

I expected the M3/M4 to be the fastest M. But I don't want to own a car with a smaller engine (V6), and not as nice interior.

I am happy with the specs of the new M3/M4. It makes you think about the G Series M5. The same tech will carry over, creating a very impressive M5.
Power alone makes a car powerful.

Low vehicle weight makes it faster for the same power. All other factors being equal.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 02:45 AM   #26
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvigod View Post
No big deal. You can't come close to using all of what the M5 (or new M3/4) is capable of on any public road. You MUST be on a track to do so, period.

For some perspective. I "thought" I was driving quite fast and aggressive in my F10 M5 as well as my '08 M3. THEN I went to BMW Performance Driving school and realized I wasn't even close.

What held me back on public roads? Many things. Other drivers were number one. Number two is simply the design/configuration of public roads themselves and the increased danger you take on at speed or cornering. Talking about drivers pulling out, deer/animals, if you skid you might end up hitting a tree/pole, etc. Last is risk and fear of getting pulled over. You see all the videos of most street drivers going in short bursts then peeling off pretty quick before they get yanked (except the autobahn).

Ok so at the driving school you have professionally maintained road course. You have safety run off in case you push PAST the limit of the car. You have no worries about law enforcement. It's night and day. Okay so I went significantly faster then I ever did on the public roads and did so for over 5 hours of track time daily.

My next stop is the advanced school at VIR where I'm sure once again as fast as I thought the South Carolina school was I know VIR will be even faster and more challenging.

The basic fact is (and this pertains to the lambo, ferrari, porsche cars/forums too) is that you can't come close to experiencing what these cars can truly do unless you track them. Because of that the small few tenths on any of the 0-60, 0-100 or quarter miles don't matter much on public roads. They are all extremely fast.

Now when I drive my M5 around town or on the highway I know just how much I'm leaving on the table.

Oh yeah, a sidenote. As fast as I thought I was driving at the BMW school which I felt was a 9.5 out of 10 I was way wrong. At the end you go for ride along with instructor. This is when I realized what an M5 was truly capable of in the hands of a pro driver. I gave them a 10. I regraded myself down to a 7. Those guys are that fast and that good. As good a driver as you think you are just go along with one of them and you will be humbled in under 2 minutes. They can take a much slower car and destroy you in your faster car without even trying. Would not believe it unless I saw it and experienced it.
Great words, I love the comfort/power of my M5, and agree NO WAY can you work them on public roads.
      02-16-2014, 03:11 AM   #27
Steveo
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4

if talking POWERful then M5 wins...Power as in bhp, hp....
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 02:56 PM   #28
AlphaAlpineM6
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M6 & 2012 AMG CLS63

Garage List
It's all marketing

2008 M3 Sedan + catless + Tune
2012 CLS63 AMG
2014 M6 Coupe + catless + KW V3
2015 Porsche GT3
, 2015 M3, all stock, 1/1 Space Grey
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 03:03 AM   #29
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M4 F82 / BMW ///M5 F10

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post
Do you have an M3/4 on order? If so, when is it due (looking forwards to the reviews, especially from UK drivers)?
yup delivery early july...
Appreciate 0