M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

07-02-2015, 07:49 AM   #1
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Cleaned and conditioned my leather, wow what a difference!

So after attending the Tudor 6 Hours of The Glen this past weekend, my M5 and it's interior took a beating due to all the rain that the Track got. Parking outside the Track was atrocious due to the heavy rain and most of the lots were either flooded or very very muddy and most cars that parked in the grassy/muddy lots got stuck. I ended up scoring some parking in the infield but at a cost. I had a passenger with me during the weekend and they weren't as quick to shut the doors on the M5 while it was raining. In the end I ended up getting a lot of rain water inside the car, on the doors, on the seats, on the dash. Plus the outside of the car got very muddy, even driving on paved roads around the track.

When I got back home, the next day I went and did a full details on the M5 myself. It had been a long while since I had cleaned in the interior leather anyways so it needed to be done. For a while now I thought that I had gotten a scratch or two on my leather steering wheel because it felt really rough on one spot. So I applied Lexol Leather Cleaner and Lexol Leather Conditioner to most of the leather areas inside the M5. The big dirty areas were the two front seats, the drivers side door, and the center console. After using the Lexol Leather cleaner the cloth I was using had turned dark brown indicating the layer of dirt that had built up on the surfaces. So after cleaning and conditioning, it felt like a brand new car inside. I did the entire steering wheel too and it feels silky smooth again. For people that drive and spend a lot of time in their M5's like Boots and I, cleaning and conditioning the leather will make the car feel new again. It feels so good to sit in the seats again, the leather just feels so soft again, I love it.

So lesson of the day, clean and condition your leather people, it makes a big difference.

I'll try to upload some pictures later.

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 07:58 AM   #2
skansa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Datsun Sunny

what colour is the interior?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 08:08 AM   #3
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
This is the common trap people with black leather fall into. Not cleaning the leather because the color hides the dirt. With Silverstone leather, you clean it every month because you will notice dirt the moment it sticks.
Appreciate 1
      07-02-2015, 08:16 AM   #4
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Yeah I have black leather interior. Stealth is absolutely right. The black hide all the dirt really well. I'm not going to say exactly how long it was since the last time I cleaned and conditioned the leather cause I might be embarrassed, but at least I finally got around to it. Lol! Although I do like black leather a lot . I would love to Silverstone or Sahkir Orange just as much. Like Stealth said, I'd probably clean it a lot more if I had one of those. Lol!

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 10:25 AM   #5
Thunder43
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
This is the common trap people with black leather fall into. Not cleaning the leather because the color hides the dirt. With Silverstone leather, you clean it every month because you will notice dirt the moment it sticks.
+1

Just did my leather again last night after 30 days. Used Leather Masters foam cleaner and Leather Masters Leather Barrier per Stealth's recommendation (thx btw Stealth).
Back to new.

Absolutely mandatory on a Silverstone interior.
      07-02-2015, 11:49 AM   #6
TazOjla
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW X5

Garage List
2007 BMW M5  [0.00]
2009 BMW X5  [0.00]
I've always imagined it to be very hard to clean stains such as dye from jeans from Silverstone or other light leather colours, is it still the case?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 12:10 PM   #7
Thunder43
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazOjla View Post
I've always imagined it to be very hard to clean stains such as dye from jeans from Silverstone or other light leather colours, is it still the case?
I think the trick is proper maintenance, i.e. monthly cleans with quality products. I've found Leather Masters to be great. Their cleaner plus leather barrier works well. I wear jeans regulary when not commuting to work and don't have a problem if I keep up with it.

Properly maintained, Silverstone is stunning and a bit more bespoke than the black interiors I've had in the past. Just my opinion. Admitedly, I was nervous at first. Now I'm glad I did it.
      07-02-2015, 12:12 PM   #8
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

Great post Dave. I actually haven't cleaned mine and usually just wiped it w a wet cloth. Can I buy that item locally? I can clean it tomorrow if I find it
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 12:56 PM   #9
johntomferg
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly drove a 13 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazOjla View Post
I have had no issues with 'jean' stains or other things with my SS. I think the product has matured enough to where it is more stain resistant than previously believed. I'd buy it again.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 02:50 PM   #10
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots
Great post Dave. I actually haven't cleaned mine and usually just wiped it w a wet cloth. Can I buy that item locally? I can clean it tomorrow if I find it
Yeah Autozones carry Lexol everywhere. I like it. For the more exotic cleaners and conditioners that Stealth and the other guys use you have to order them online I think. Btw I passed 55,000 last weekend.

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 03:00 PM   #11
Bigmuz7
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G16

My M5 is MCB with SS extended leather, and I can visibly see darkening on the more heavily sat on areas such as drivers seat etc, and centre console armrest, I dont abuse my car, but this leather gets dirty easily, but I love its light colour , can you boys suggest a good product for leathercare in the UK that would help me clean that?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 04:37 PM   #12
bimmer-boy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330 e46 Vert, Bmw ind F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7
My M5 is MCB with SS extended leather, and I can visibly see darkening on the more heavily sat on areas such as drivers seat etc, and centre console armrest, I dont abuse my car, but this leather gets dirty easily, but I love its light colour , can you boys suggest a good product for leathercare in the UK that would help me clean that?
Hi mate, why not buy the lexol product they have mentioned above. You can order it from popular sites like Amazon etc ..

Malcolm X
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2015, 01:55 AM   #13
skansa
First Lieutenant
Rep

i use autoglym on my current e92 saddle brown nappa. its good but only been cleaned 4 times in 7 years! bolsters are knackered MSport.

I would give the lexol a go. remember the merino is a not a finished leather.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2015, 04:23 AM   #14
HappyMan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by skansa
i use autoglym on my current e92 saddle brown nappa. its good but only been cleaned 4 times in 7 years! bolsters are knackered MSport.

I would give the lexol a go. remember the merino is a not a finished leather.
Hi,

What does it mean not a finished leather?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2015, 04:41 AM   #15
skansa
First Lieutenant
Rep

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...leather-2.html
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2015, 07:00 AM   #16
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acata...-products.html
      07-05-2015, 05:24 AM   #17
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Cleaning your leather properly can make a huge difference here is a picture showing that difference on my 8 year old Z4C:

You must use a soft brush to work the cleaner in and then "lift" off the excess with a clean damp microfiber cloth, don't fanny about using a cloth to clean the leather it does nothing, don't be afraid to us decent amounts of pressure whilst using the soft brush either, I find a show shine brush to be ideal. (a clean one!)