M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

Closed Thread

09-11-2017, 06:44 PM   #1
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

Lightbulb More OT-and-relocated ICE FUD for your reading pleasure

It's very worrying there are a lot of combustion engines down the line, only a few hybrid combos and even less pure electrics. I think this year, it became clear that combustion will stop in a matter of years.

How can you wait a few years to buy a new V8 only to discover it's entirely obsoleted in 2025? Talk about depreciation!
Appreciate 2
mcman19.00
      09-11-2017, 07:06 PM   #2
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoenG View Post
It's very worrying there are a lot of combustion engines down the line, only a few hybrid combos and even less pure electrics. I think this year, it became clear that combustion will stop in a matter of years.

How can you wait a few years to buy a new V8 only to discover it's entirely obsoleted in 2025? Talk about depreciation!
Haha, you make a good funny. You realize Exxon/Mobil is the fifth largest global economy, right? And they're not the only petrochemical giant. Do you really think they'll just shutter their trillions of dollars of gas stations, tanker boats, trucks, refineries and pipelines because around 1% of production moves to electric? Where would those hybrids buy gas? EV's will make inroads for the next many decades, but they'll be in the minority for many, many years.
Appreciate 2
      09-12-2017, 12:42 AM   #3
Nahlem
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: None atm

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 m50  [10.00]
Oh wow BMW is truly a non believer in EV tech they will shot them self in the foot when market disruption hits them in the face and they get left behind. ICE are dead they need to accept this fast or they are done for. If they wan't to survive they should stop hiring lousy market analyst persons lying to them about ICE being around longer then they will be. Just as Kodak messed up with the digital camera even though being their own invention. Or when AT&T Hired a analyst asking them how big will the cellphone market be in the year 2000 and the analyst told them around 900 000 people will have cellphones then when the result ended up being millions instead that a huge miss.

Good luck BMW adapt or be left behind.
Appreciate 1
KoenG1428.50
      09-12-2017, 06:07 AM   #4
Luddy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i xdrive EBII

Quote:

I see these claims and I just can't fathom a pure switch to electric by 2025. The infrastructure at least in the US isn't even close. No one I know personally can charge at their apartment. I live in the suburbs of Philly for reference.

Think about some other things like emergency situations such as people evacuating Florida due to hurricane Irma. Would you rather do that in an ICE or electric vehicle. Even with the gas shortages I would rather have the ICE.

Electric has problems too. You can google 'Child labor in cobalt mines.' There is a dark side around many big industries but it is definitely a sad situation where this takes place to get the rare earth materials for batteries.

I am not trying to dismiss electric cars. I just think the timeline that some people put forth shows a myopic view of what is involved to fully switch over.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 06:17 AM   #5
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddy View Post
Quote:

I see these claims and I just can't fathom a pure switch to electric by 2025. The infrastructure at least in the US isn't even close. No one I know personally can charge at their apartment. I live in the suburbs of Philly for reference.

Think about some other things like emergency situations such as people evacuating Florida due to hurricane Irma. Would you rather do that in an ICE or electric vehicle. Even with the gas shortages I would rather have the ICE.

Electric has problems too. You can google 'Child labor in cobalt mines.' There is a dark side around many big industries but it is definitely a sad situation where this takes place to get the rare earth materials for batteries.

I am not trying to dismiss electric cars. I just think the timeline that some people put forth shows a myopic view of what is involved to fully switch over.
Pipe dreams by Europeans. Sure Scandinavian countries with 5 million people can force full electric on the population. 300+ million in the US not so much.

This will be a losing proposition for European manufacturers at least here in the US market.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 07:20 AM   #6
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...79&postcount=2

Quote:
By 2025 we will be offering 25 models with an electrified drive system - of which 12 will be pure-electric.
Appreciate 1
KoenG1428.50
Closed Thread