M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

05-10-2016, 03:38 PM   #1
Edmguy11
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW F10 M5

Drag slicks with stock Rims/Tires

I am getting a JB4 + BCM installed in a couple weeks and plan on daily driving with Map 2. So traction is going to be a bitch, and I am thinking about getting prepared by investing in some Nitto Drag slicks for my rears....

Just have a couple questions:

1) Will they fit on stock rims "305/295?"

2) Will I have any trouble with my stock axels doing launch at the new power level "650ish WHP at map 2 i think...."

3) How is the handling when coupled with the stock tires in the front?

I am assuming it will be extremely scary to drive the car when it's raining with drag slicks on the back.... can anyone comment?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 04:43 PM   #2
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8, f10m59(Rip), m4, GTR

I just drove my GTR 70 miles in pouring down monsoon rains after getting new breaks on NT05R tires with 8000 miles on them lol.. Standing water got a little wild and would for all but supersport tires which are one of the highest rated wet tires around.

R888s are the same way maybe a tad better in that they can move water better than the NT05Rs which really are a drag tire.

Bottom line if you check your speed and go slow if you occasionally get stuck in bad standing water you'll probably be ok.

But should be fine for all but the worst of rains.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 06:02 PM   #3
Edmguy11
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iRlz View Post
I just drove my GTR 70 miles in pouring down monsoon rains after getting new breaks on NT05R tires with 8000 miles on them lol.. Standing water got a little wild and would for all but supersport tires which are one of the highest rated wet tires around.

R888s are the same way maybe a tad better in that they can move water better than the NT05Rs which really are a drag tire.

Bottom line if you check your speed and go slow if you occasionally get stuck in bad standing water you'll probably be ok.

But should be fine for all but the worst of rains.
Thanks for the quick reply!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 01:56 AM   #4
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmguy11 View Post
I am getting a JB4 + BCM installed in a couple weeks and plan on daily driving with Map 2. So traction is going to be a bitch, and I am thinking about getting prepared by investing in some Nitto Drag slicks for my rears....

2) Will I have any trouble with my stock axels doing launch at the new power level "650ish WHP at map 2 i think...."

I am assuming it will be extremely scary to drive the car when it's raining with drag slicks on the back.... can anyone comment?
So these are the answers but there are many people disagree
1. 305 tires need at least 10.5" width while your 343 M5 wheels are 10" wide; however there are many people in this forum have installed 305 on 10" rims and claim no issue.
2. Your axles are not designed for that much power and torque and there are people on this forum reported broken axle at launch like this thread:
http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1245880
however there are other people with tuned cars reported no issue in this thread
http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthr...1218119&page=2

I highly recommend you reading both threads completely before getting any decision!

3. I had the same setup with 265/35/20 MPSS front and 305/30/20 Nitto NT05 on rear (with my 343 M6 rims which are 10.5" wide) and I do not recommend it. The traction is much better than stock but since the Nitto is about 30% softer than MPSS, at corners or fast lane changing, the rear was not able to follow the front and car was not as nimble as stock. Also with MDM active, I did not have that much fun I had with stock MPSS or even 305 MPSS (I had 305 MPSS for about 8 months too); however in rainy days the story is completely reverse. , those NT05 tires are not anywhere even close to MPSS. In rain they have a lot less traction and I was not able to drive at speed of more than 60 mph since the rear of car was going everywhere...
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 10:35 AM   #5
Northern X5M
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 Tanzanite Blue M5

A 305/35 fits your stock rim fine. There is no bulge.
A few issues with running DRs on the street.

1. Limited wet traction. You will be fine as long as you don't drive like an A-hole. Standing water is a different story.
2. Sidewall construction. These tires are not meant to take high lateral Gs. You can really feel these sidewalls in the corners.
3. All 20" DRs are over 1" taller than stock diameter. This causes a few issues with part throttle shifts. Sometimes shifts will delay or computer will cut throttle. Doesn't always happen, but once you are prepared it is not a big deal. WOT is fine.

I have a set of Nitto 555R 305/35/20 sitting in my garage. Probably 20 odd passes on them and less than 1500km total considering I sold that car with 6,000km on the clock. If you want to try these DRs I'd sell the pair for $500 (I think they were about $450 US/EA + shipping to Canada).
But I would recommend you try R888s first. I think for the street they will be fine, and they come in a 30 series. If you want firmer launches then you will have to go to a DR.
      05-12-2016, 04:27 AM   #6
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmguy11 View Post

Depending on which OEM wheels you have, a 305/30-20 or 305/35-19 will most likely fit perfectly fine. The bead flange will have at least a 10mm margin on both inner and outer seat. The issue is definitely axles and the wheel construction. An wheel barrel without knurling allows the wheel to break the seal and spin inside of the tire. The sudden jolts when the slippage stops puts a shock strain on everything. Very few of the OEM BMW wheels have knurling, and it also depends on the foundry they came out of. Not all of the facilities can provide it.
Appreciate 0