M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

02-19-2013, 12:19 AM   #23
Rob///M5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 SSII

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
Sounds crazy man!!!! Any before and after dynos??
Nope, no time for dynos today unfortunately. But I tell you what, it might be just my butt dyno, but it feels like the M5 is faster! I floor the gas pedal, and the car feels more powerful to me. I will have to get it on a dyno at some point.
Might be your ear dyno telling you that
      02-19-2013, 12:33 AM   #24
M54ccibo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 GT4

Nicely done Dave. Can't wait to hear it it person. I am sure the vids just don't do it justice.
'10 E60 M5, Space Gray/Black
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 12:44 AM   #25
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

Finally someone had the balls to do my favorite e39 mod. I am definitely in for the muffler delete. Order for the F10 already placed. Doing ED in couple of months. Thanks Dave
      02-19-2013, 12:45 AM   #26
mindlessmark07
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

I gotta hear this soon!! I'm sure the vid doesn't do it justice.

MindlessMark07
///2013 M5 Alpine White/Black,Orange County CA\\\
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 12:47 AM   #27
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindlessmark07 View Post
I gotta hear this soon!! I'm sure the vid doesn't do it justice.
Cars and Coffee this Sat?? I'll bring the e39 and we can compare the "muffler delete" sounds.....
      02-19-2013, 04:23 AM   #28
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

Hi rob when I return from Israel in a few days I'm gonna call them and talk about it. Your right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob///M5 View Post
Boots. You gotta sign up for this enhancement to your RPI! No brainer...as long as you like noise

Country run
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 08:10 AM   #29
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
But I tell you what, it might be just my butt dyno, but it feels like the M5 is faster! I floor the gas pedal, and the car feels more powerful to me. I will have to get it on a dyno at some point.
I'd guess the faster feel is from the sound, and it does sound great! I wouldn't think much HP released from muffler delete, but one possible drawback I can think of is when someone comes up with a useable HP upgrade that involves removal of the cats, which WILL provide a definite HP boost. The exhaust sound might be too much at that point..... perhaps not for you! I'd like to hear the reverse of what you've done and delete the cats while retaining the stock mufflers. The stock mufflers may not allow the type of sound which most would like at that point and a deeper, more full sound could be found with an aftermarket muffler.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 10:00 AM   #30
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrbo95gst View Post
Cars and Coffee this Sat?? I'll bring the e39 and we can compare the "muffler delete" sounds.....
Yes sir, I'll be at C&C Irvine this Saturday, up bright and early for some action! We'll have a rev party!

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 10:01 AM   #31
Rob///M5
Major
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
I'm not competing with you for dBs though!
      02-19-2013, 10:07 AM   #32
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used2be View Post
I'd guess the faster feel is from the sound, and it does sound great! I wouldn't think much HP released from muffler delete, but one possible drawback I can think of is when someone comes up with a useable HP upgrade that involves removal of the cats, which WILL provide a definite HP boost. The exhaust sound might be too much at that point..... perhaps not for you! I'd like to hear the reverse of what you've done and delete the cats while retaining the stock mufflers. The stock mufflers may not allow the type of sound which most would like at that point and a deeper, more full sound could be found with an aftermarket muffler.
Yes, that would be interesting to hear what the stock exhaust would sound like with just the cats removed. I know that Performing Imports over in Alpharetta Georgia can get you some OEM downpipes and complete stock exhaust system with high flow cats and less insulated stock mufflers. They tell me that these products look 100% stock but have a much more aggressive sound to them. Their prices are on the high side though.

Also, I don't know if you we're paying attention to the videos but I don't just have a muffler delete now. My RPi exhaust is a full system with no secondary cats, no resonators and no mufflers. After driving the car profoundly yesterday it definitely feels like the RPi exhaust, which already gives an extra 20-30hp, may have a little more gain in hp now.

Honestly guys, I'd love to dyno my M5 at some point, but I don't put much stock in dynos (pun intended lol). If anyone wants to race me this weekend, I'll be up in LA this Saturday, and I'll also be doing a mountain drive on Sunday. Hit me up, we'll let videos take the place of dyno charts.

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 10:07 AM   #33
M54ccibo
Major
United_States
Rep

Exhaust throw-down!!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 10:37 AM   #34
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, that would be interesting to hear what the stock exhaust would sound like with just the cats removed.

Also, I don't know if you we're paying attention to the videos but I don't just have a muffler delete now. My RPi exhaust is a full system with no secondary cats, no resonators and no mufflers.

Honestly guys, I'd love to dyno my M5 at some point, but I don't put much stock in dynos (pun intended lol). If anyone wants to race me this weekend, I'll be up in LA this Saturday, and I'll also be doing a mountain drive on Sunday.
Yes, I did catch that you have also taken the resonators out of the system. I didn't think there were any cats downstream from the downpipes? I thought there are just the two cats in the downpipe, a 600 cell primary and a 400 cell secondary.

Good for you! I also think a well managed race from a slow roll is a great way to visually see the differences from various states of tune. The mountain drive however, way too much driver skill involved there to assess the car performance. Have a great time this weekend, I envy you the good weather and the driving terrain.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 11:15 AM   #35
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I did catch that you have also taken the resonators out of the system. I didn't think there were any cats downstream from the downpipes? I thought there are just the two cats in the downpipe, a 600 cell primary and a 400 cell secondary.

Good for you! I also think a well managed race from a slow roll is a great way to visually see the differences from various states of tune. The mountain drive however, way too much driver skill involved there to assess the car performance. Have a great time this weekend, I envy you the good weather and the driving terrain.
Yup there are cats in the stock exhaust. Check it out.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 11:16 AM   #36
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M54ccibo View Post
Exhaust throw-down!!!!
LET'S GET READY TO RUUUUUUUMBLE! LOL!

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 11:19 AM   #37
M54ccibo
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
LET'S GET READY TO RUUUUUUUMBLE! LOL!
YEAH! Oh, and I love the sig...I purposely drive further to get home so I can do just that...love it with the Akra
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 11:29 AM   #38
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I guess I've been under the wrong impression all this time that the enlarged portions of the exhaust pipes before the cross over were resonators and not cats. Thanks for pointing that out to me.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 11:33 AM   #39
Tylerstar
Captain
Rep
Drives: Straight Piped F10 M5, GTR

Sounds extremely loud and extremely amazing. The idle is SO beast!!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 11:37 AM   #40
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I guess I've been under the wrong impression all this time that the enlarged portions of the exhaust pipes before the cross over were resonators and not cats. Thanks for pointing that out to me.
Yeah most people confuse the cats for being the resonators. The resonators are actually right after the downpipes.

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 11:38 AM   #41
M54ccibo
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Now this is interesting...I had been wondering how the primary and secondary would have been in the short down pipe. So, on the stock exhaust the secondary cats and resonator are one in the same?

That also means that anyone with aftermarket center pipes is already running a secondary cat delete...
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 11:43 AM   #42
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Somebody asked me how the sound is compared to the E60 V10.

So how is the sound compare to the E60 V10 while driving, idling etc?

I would say that it's almost as loud as the V10, but it obviously lacks that F1 V10 sound. One thing that this engine does differently from any other car I have ever heard is that the exhaust makes extremely loud cracks, like a thunderclap. The stock exhaust system actually makes louder cracks than does the RPi GT system with the mufflers still on, but without the mufflers, the cracks go right through your body. It really really startles you the first time you hear it. The muffler delete makes these cracks when revvings, when upshifting from 1st to 2nd gear, and even when downshifting from 2nd to 1st gear. It doesn't make the crack all the time, I think you have to have the right amount of air exiting the exhaust at a certain velocity for it to occur. I can usually reproduce it when shifting in S3 mode while driving. While revving it's easy to do, because all you have to do is pump the throttle rapidly.

You can just really really hear everything that you are doing with the throttle with the muffler delete. Before, you couldn't get that feeling. It just sounds so amazing.

Last night before I went to bed, I just had to go on one more drive! Lol! Going under highway overpasses is finally fun in the F10 M5. You get on full throttle underneath the overpass and it's a symphony of exhaust sound! SO MUCH FUN!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 11:44 AM   #43
Rob///M5
Major
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Used2be
Quote:
+1

Are we sure those are cats?
      02-19-2013, 11:46 AM   #44
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah most people confuse the cats for being the resonators. The resonators are actually right after the downpipes.
Now you're really confusing me. From the pictures I've seen of the exhaust there doesn't appear to be any enlargement of the exhaust pipe from the flange at the downpipe to what you're calling the secondary cats. Wouldn't a resonator have to be larger than the diameter of the exhaust pipe in order to do its work with the sound? Perplexed.......
Appreciate 0