Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

10-13-2014, 05:56 AM   #1
chris5150
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 30 YR Jahre

Engine Cooling Fans stay on longtime

As the thread title says, when I shut my car down the noise of the engine cooling fans stays on for a long time, longer than any other car I have had. The other day I only went 4 miles round the corner, stopped the car, ignition off & again the fans kicked in & stayed on for a good few minutes..outside air temp 8 degrees, so its not hot
Is this normal?..is it part of the cooling the turbos down switch off procedure or something?
thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 06:08 AM   #2
padrino
Alpina!
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

It's normal, nothing to worry about.. Now if they stay on for hours I might wonder...
      10-13-2014, 07:31 AM   #3
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris5150 View Post
As the thread title says, when I shut my car down the noise of the engine cooling fans stays on for a long time, longer than any other car I have had. The other day I only went 4 miles round the corner, stopped the car, ignition off & again the fans kicked in & stayed on for a good few minutes..outside air temp 8 degrees, so its not hot
Is this normal?..is it part of the cooling the turbos down switch off procedure or something?
thanks
Hi Cris5150, mine run a lot too, for 3/4 minutes at times, it's normal.
I put my battery on trickle over night once a fortnight, just to make sure the battery is up.
      10-13-2014, 07:43 AM   #4
chris5150
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 30 YR Jahre

Good to know

Thanks Chaps good to know.

As my car is not an everyday car, I was thinking of putting a battery conditioner lead on it. Coming from F'cars they all needed 'plugging in' to keep the batteries good. Fcars have the socket built in in a nice handy spot....when you say you charge yours John have you had a lead put on the battery to somewhere convenient to plug into with an optimate or something?do u need to lift the bonnet each time to plug it in?
contemplating gettting my dealer to fit one at first service,not sure where to position the socket
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 08:15 AM   #5
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris5150 View Post
Thanks Chaps good to know.

As my car is not an everyday car, I was thinking of putting a battery conditioner lead on it. Coming from F'cars they all needed 'plugging in' to keep the batteries good. Fcars have the socket built in in a nice handy spot....when you say you charge yours John have you had a lead put on the battery to somewhere convenient to plug into with an optimate or something?do u need to lift the bonnet each time to plug it in?
contemplating gettting my dealer to fit one at first service,not sure where to position the socket
Nope just lift the bonnet in the garage and connect.
      10-13-2014, 08:37 AM   #6
shahano
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21' M2C 6spd ,11' 1M, 88' M3

They do stay on for a long time, even though i wait around 2-3 mins before turning it off.
Appreciate 0