BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

10-16-2014, 10:05 AM   #1
DrewM5
Captain
Rep
Drives: SG E60 M5

Squeaking From Seat Belt

So I started getting this new noise a few weeks back. It is sort of like a low pitch vibration. Not quite a rattle and not quite a squeak. After some time, I was able to isolate it to the seatbelt receptacle on the driver's seat. If I pull up on the seatbelt, it goes away. I am pretty sure that this is coming from the seatbelt housing rubbing against the leather of the seat. I stuck a microfiber cloth in between and that seems to resolve the noise. Have any of you experioenced this? Car is scheduled to go in for a couple of small things soon and thought I would check here to see if I can benefit from others' experience.
2014 M5 Competition|Space Grey|Black Merino Full Leather|Anthracite Trim|Executive package|LED Lighting Package|Drivers's Assit Package|B&O Sound System|Bel STiR Plus 9500ci|IND Side Markers and Side Vents|Exhaustmeister|HRE P101 Satin Charcoal/Michelin PSS (Summer)|601/Pirelli Sottozero Serie II (Winter)|Coded by V12
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 08:21 AM   #2
1917DOB
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 335i E93 LeMans/SaddleBrown

Interior Front Passenger Seatbelt Rattle (Noise, Squeek, Buzz, Vibration)

Interior Front Passenger Seatbelt Rattle (Noise, Squeek, Buzz, Vibration)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewM5 View Post
So I started getting this new noise a few weeks back. It is sort of like a low pitch vibration. Not quite a rattle and not quite a squeak. After some time, I was able to isolate it to the seatbelt receptacle on the driver's seat. If I pull up on the seatbelt, it goes away. I am pretty sure that this is coming from the seatbelt housing rubbing against the leather of the seat. I stuck a microfiber cloth in between and that seems to resolve the noise. Have any of you experioenced this? Car is scheduled to go in for a couple of small things soon and thought I would check here to see if I can benefit from others' experience.
I'm currently experiencing a vibration related rattle noise in my 2013 335i Sedan when travelling over rough patches of road or bumps. The sound is similar to the sound from flicking a door backstop (the type that is wound like a coil) where it makes a buzzing resonance noise that appears to vibrate through the area of the front passenger seat, front passenger door, front passenger wheel well and front passenger dashboard area. It's a bit maddening. I've removed the under dash, door sills and panel in between the front door and back door and my strongest hypothesis is that the noise is originating from the seatbelt receptacle at the bottom of the piller. On each side of where the seat belt is wound up are two round closed coil parts to the seatbelt housing. When I tap on either of the white plastic housings that sit on each side of the seatbelt base, it makes a sustained buzzing noise which appears to be the same sound as what I'm experiencing while driving. I wanted to pull the part out but it requires a hex tool and the size was not one that I had in my toolbox. So I'm left to wait and get the car into my BMW service advisor, and requst they replace the front seatbelt to hopefully resolve this annoying noise that is robbing me from the usual pleasure of driving...

There's a write up in this book about the same problem that it appears I'm having...

Automotive Buzz, Squeak and Rattle
https://books.google.com/books/about...d=q1PSRX1vx68C

Shoulder seat belt retractors are located close to the drivers’ or passengers’ ears, and are prone to make rattle noises if rattle prevention measures are not in place. A retractor usually consists of a spool, a locking mechanism and a sensing system. The spool is used to wind and tighten the seat belt, and it is made of a spring and a gear. The locking system has a pawl that can engage the spool gear. The sensing system uses an inertia mass, either a mass pendulum/ball/cylinder or a centrifugal clutch. When there is an abrupt and sufficient deceleration, the sensing system will trigger the pawl to engage the spool gear to lock the seat belt. Thus, where there is excessive vibration or resonance, any of the three portions may be excited and interact with the other components to create a rattle noise. Other seat belt rattle noise may be generated by the seat belt latch plate bumping the door/pillar trim, the actuator actuating, or the seat belt retractor bezel cover coming loose.

Apparently there are also Rattle Test Tone CD's that are available that we can play in our cars that will help recreate the sounds well enough to trouble shoot the source... I haven't obtained one yet, but some sites have files you can download for free and eBay and Amazon seem to have sellers who offer these Rattle Noise Squeek Test Tone CD's for sale... Hope you and/or your BMW dealer was able to figure it out...
2013 328i Sedan Alpine White / Beige Dakota (Sold)
2011 335i Sedan BSM / Black Dakota (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 02:02 PM   #3
DrewM5
Captain
Rep
Drives: SG E60 M5

Thanks for the info. Mine was caused by the receptacle housing rubbing against the seat leather. They put some felt on the housing and the problem was resolved.
2014 M5 Competition|Space Grey|Black Merino Full Leather|Anthracite Trim|Executive package|LED Lighting Package|Drivers's Assit Package|B&O Sound System|Bel STiR Plus 9500ci|IND Side Markers and Side Vents|Exhaustmeister|HRE P101 Satin Charcoal/Michelin PSS (Summer)|601/Pirelli Sottozero Serie II (Winter)|Coded by V12
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 03:53 PM   #4
1917DOB
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 335i E93 LeMans/SaddleBrown

Sport Seat Bolster Rattle (Front Passenger)

Anytime. Lucky they figured it out for you...

Turns out it wasn't the seatbelt mechanism after all that...

I've re-produced it on the front passenger seat. It sounds similar to a bo-ing, bo-ing sound... Like the sound of a door stopper the type that is wound like a coil, if you flick it...

There is a track that moves the center sport bolster inward and outward. I can't figure out exactly why the track is producing a resonating rattle noise over bumps or rough patches of road, but there is a consistent foreign rattle noise that will come from my front passenger sport seat regardless of the fact of a passenger being seated in it or not.

When tapping the "stationary underside of the front passenger sport seat" in the center, right behind the movable center bolster, I was able to consistently re-create the bo-ing, boing, bo-ing rattle noise, the same way it would sound when travelling over a speed bump, or rough road. This rattle noise is resonating from the center sport seat bolster track...

Glad your noise problem was solved.. Hope our info helps someone else get theirs fixed too
2013 328i Sedan Alpine White / Beige Dakota (Sold)
2011 335i Sedan BSM / Black Dakota (Sold)
Appreciate 0