JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanW View Post
(LONG POST)
2500 miles and 4 complete breakdowns.....

At what point do i just ask for another M? I am beyond my breaking point. I love the car but can't deal with this type of BS.
Right NOW!! get rid.
      06-17-2013, 05:34 AM   #24
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chudak18 View Post
sounds like you guys need to drive your cars more often. 13,000 miles and no problems/glitches. I heard the drivetrain malfunction error is connected with low fuel levels? Can anyone confirm?
Not true. I had that malfunction and I always gas up @ 3/4 tank or right after.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 10:51 AM   #25
shpritz
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Comp Cabriolet

I had a full tank when I got the error message. When they put it on the computer it showed the misfire fault and low battery. I think it may be related to the fact the battery was low. I guess there is a ton of tech on these cars and if your not giving them a good ride during the week the battery tends to discharge? They told me to plug in when the car is inactive. The trickle charge turns off when the battery is fully charged. Bit miffed that a 100K car needs to be plugged in but they told me it was more a result of my driving habits. Short commutes (10-15 minutes to work and back) and not much more driving except on the weekends.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 12:14 PM   #26
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

It sounds to me as if there's an electrical 'short' somewhere in the OP's car. It should not be having battery issues. Mine sat in the garage locked with the alarm on for 17 days a few weeks back. Started straight away without issues.
Bish
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 12:47 PM   #27
mdm0515
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 2013

Man, that really sucks. I'd personally probably seek the legal route and if that didn't generate any love I'd sell the car. Maybe all of the issues are software and none of them are serious but WTF is happening. I've had mine since September, now with 8K miles, and rarely drive it during the week because I travel constantly and I have had not a single issue with the car. BTW, I'd be out of my mind livid with the 27 miles on the car during a service.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 03:23 PM   #28
Northern X5M
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 Tanzanite Blue M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebishman View Post
It sounds to me as if there's an electrical 'short' somewhere in the OP's car. It should not be having battery issues. Mine sat in the garage locked with the alarm on for 17 days a few weeks back. Started straight away without issues.
Bish
Mine sat in storage for 6 months started it twice in that time. No battery drain what so ever.

I got the drivetrain malfunction after doing a couple donuts on the weekend. I shut the car off and started it an the error went away.
      06-17-2013, 11:33 PM   #29
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanW
Quote:
Originally Posted by pochesq View Post
Consult with a lawyer. I am a real estate attorney here in CA and I helped a friend with his Ducati. Got them to take it back and pay for his attorney's fees.
this is my next step. I leave for italy tomorrow night and of course my car is still sitting at the dealership. When I get back, I will be contacting an attorney for consultation. One of the managers at the dealership is on my side and is seeing what he can do to help
I pm'd you
      06-18-2013, 01:19 AM   #30
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

I'm pretty sure that when the M5 senses a battery drain while engine is off, it turns off the electronics.

The day after I got my V1 hardwired, I got a message that said that. Never got it again though.
      06-19-2013, 01:44 AM   #31
johnsama86
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19" G05 40i

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
OP, How and how often was your M5 driven until the very first issue?
I see numbers of members stating issues with the car but before we just say that sucks or the car is a shit, I think we, all, should consider how the car was driven until the initial issue. If OP did baby the car and this is what happens obviouly the car has a problem. Take the action! before it is too late and do not drive the car from now have everything documentated like you did in the OP also take this issue to BMW USA including dealership's action.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 04:08 AM   #32
DanW
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5 F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrbo95gst View Post
I pm'd you
Thank u, I'll give u a call when I get back in the states!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 04:11 AM   #33
DanW
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsama86 View Post
OP, How and how often was your M5 driven until the very first issue?
I see numbers of members stating issues with the car but before we just say that sucks or the car is a shit, I think we, all, should consider how the car was driven until the initial issue. If OP did baby the car and this is what happens obviouly the car has a problem. Take the action! before it is too late and do not drive the car from now have everything documentated like you did in the OP also take this issue to BMW USA including dealership's action.
I drove the car like I was 90 years old. I was very conscious of the break in period. The car broke down twice before the 1200 mile break in period. Within the initial 1200 miles (around the 800 mile mark) is when one of the techs beat the piss out of it.

I don't believe that the car sucks overall, I just think I had bad luck with this particular M5.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 04:17 AM   #34
DanW
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

**Update:

So my service advisor called me and says they can't quite figure out what is wrong but BMW suggested that they change out the "low" pressure fuel injector. I asked for more of an explanation and he said (most M5 owners know this info already) that because our cars have a high output injector and a low injector, they felt that the car wasn't getting sufficient fuel supply from the low injector..... He sounded like that this was an experiment more than a solution. I am not happy with the results and have since discussed getting rid of the car in exchange for a new M5 (even though the one I have now only has 2500 miles on it). I can't accept the issues with this car that I plan on keeping for years and spent the amount of money I have on it. I am pretty depressed about the overall situation and I hope BMW can rectify it.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 04:20 AM   #35
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

Hope you get your car fixed.

Last edited by boots; 06-19-2013 at 04:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 09:27 PM   #36
cmhsam
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 M5

Quote:
**Update:

So my service advisor called me and says they can't quite figure out what is wrong but BMW suggested that they change out the "low" pressure fuel injector. I asked for more of an explanation and he said (most M5 owners know this info already) that because our cars have a high output injector and a low injector, they felt that the car wasn't getting sufficient fuel supply from the low injector..... He sounded like that this was an experiment more than a solution. I am not happy with the results and have since discussed getting rid of the car in exchange for a new M5 (even though the one I have now only has 2500 miles on it). I can't accept the issues with this car that I plan on keeping for years and spent the amount of money I have on it. I am pretty depressed about the overall situation and I hope BMW can rectify it.
I feel bad for you. Shouldnt spend this kind of money and get treated this way. I am hoping it works out for you.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 04:13 AM   #37
wagram09
Rep
Drives: E39 m5

Drive train malfunction just happened to me. 4500 miles and dealer doesn't know what the problem is. Perhaps they should read the forums. The dealer is saying they need to contact engineering at BMWNA. We will see if they update the software! Really driving habits can cause this. What nonsense...maybe they should post a disclaimer indicating you must drive the expensive car a certain distance or it might not work.

Hopefully this won't be a problem but if it is it will be more ammunition for my wife to tell me to get rid of the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 04:52 AM   #38
DanW
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

*BMW NAs response to me:

"We are aware that your BMW M5 has had numerous issues and we would like to first propose a rebate equal to one months payment as an attempt to rectify the situation."

So at this point they're admitting that this isn't acceptable, I think this only helps my case and when I get back into the country next week I'll begin pursuing a new vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 10:11 AM   #39
Rob///M5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 SSII

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagram09 View Post
Drive train malfunction just happened to me. 4500 miles and dealer doesn't know what the problem is. Perhaps they should read the forums. The dealer is saying they need to contact engineering at BMWNA. We will see if they update the software! Really driving habits can cause this. What nonsense...maybe they should post a disclaimer indicating you must drive the expensive car a certain distance or it might not work.

Hopefully this won't be a problem but if it is it will be more ammunition for my wife to tell me to get rid of the car.
Same here... "Unfavorable driving conditions". Give me a break - infuriating.
      07-16-2013, 12:30 PM   #40
Protious
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

DanW,

Did they end up resolving your issues?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 03:51 PM   #41
DanW
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protious View Post
DanW,

Did they end up resolving your issues?
Thank you for asking!

I met with the GM of Chapman BMW and BMW North America also got involved. Long story short, at this point they only consider my car to have had 2 problems as they clumped all the battery problems together as one and the fuel pump problem as another. As a group we decided that if there are any more issues that it would be time to get another vehicle. They did cut me a "refund" check in good faith to compensate for all of the inconveniences. They also said I was not driving the car enough. 600 miles a month is about 300 less than what they suggest....... don't know how that matters or if I agree!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 04:08 PM   #42
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Thank you for asking!

I met with the GM of Chapman BMW and BMW North America also got involved. Long story short, at this point they only consider my car to have had 2 problems as they clumped all the battery problems together as one and the fuel pump problem as another. As a group we decided that if there are any more issues that it would be time to get another vehicle. They did cut me a "refund" check in good faith to compensate for all of the inconveniences. They also said I was not driving the car enough. 600 miles a month is about 300 less than what they suggest....... don't know how that matters or if I agree!
Seems to me the real criteria here should be lemon law.

If your car has been in for repair for the same issue more than 4 times, or it has been out of service for 30 or more cumulative days (doesnt need to be consecutive) on any one issue, then you are entitled to a buy back.

http://www.carlemon.com/lemon/AZ_law.html
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 08:05 PM   #43
Netwon
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 BMW M5 Alpine White

Garage List
2012 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by h4nh View Post
Keep in mind it is the first production year for this model.
This is the second year. F10 M5 came out in 2012 everywhere except USA.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 08:01 PM   #44
Protious
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Quote:
Thank you for asking!

Hah that's funny.. I've been having a ton of issues on my M5 too.. Same dealer, makes you wonder.

I'm also considering doing a lemon case, problem is I'm out of state and it seems more complicated. I literally have a stack of service papers and was planning on writing a letter to BMW N/A and see what they say.

List of my issues:

Drivetrain Malfunction - "Soft Code", "Reprogram" (2x)
Wheel Hub / Wheel Bearing Replacements - "Left", "Right" (2x)
Caliper Replacements - "Front Passenger", "Front Drivers" (2x)
Wrong Oil - "BMW of San Antonio" (1x)
Seat Beat Malfunction - "Broken, Did Not Lock" (1x)
EDC Failure - "Soft Code" (1x)
High Pressure Steering Line - "Steering Vibration Right", "Steering Vibration Left", "Steering Vibration Left" (3x)

Most likely there are a few other things I'm missing, I haven't gone over all the papers I got today when I asked for copies of service orders.

For a car that cost me nearly 110k, I wouldn't expect this many issues to come up on a constant basis. Granted I do already have 11k miles on my car.
Appreciate 0