M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

07-05-2017, 11:42 AM   #23
mwlmd
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991 TTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolFumes View Post
were you catless?
No I have stock down pipes.
Hers: BMW X3MC
BSM/Black
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 04:43 AM   #24
WhyGeeGee
Second Lieutenant
Qatar
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC , 2016 X5M

I also have the same dilemma as I want to buy the race exhaust but I really dislike drones.

Also I will be having a catless downpipe so the sound will be brutal according to Eisenmann sales person " thank you very much for your e-mail. Eisenmann offers exhausts in two noise levels:

SPORT = as loud as the stock exhaust but much better sound at acceleration and engine cut off) = with ECE-Homologation.

RACE = approx. 3 - 6 db louder than the stock exhaust (always depending on abrasion of the stock cat converter and OE pre silencer) and much better sound at acceleration and engine cut off) without homologation, for RACE use only. Pease note, RACE versions are developed for RACE use only which means high flow and less damping. This leads to drone noise inside the passenger cabin. As RACE versions are designed for track use only (where you usually drive with a helmet) there was no need to take care about the drone noise while development.

If you combine a RACE rear muffler with catless downpipes, the drone noise inside the passenger cabin will be insane...."

09-19-2017, 12:33 PM   #25
nissan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 GC CP

I'd strongly recommend against the Race version if you're going w catless DPs. I have a CP M6 (i.e. no midpipe resonators) with the Sport version and catless DPs and it's plenty loud and aggressive. At first, I had the valves wired open, but the cold starts were especially annoying/obnoxious and there was significant drone. It was kinda ghetto IMO to have a $100K+ car and have SO much cabin noise from the exhaust. After that, I had the valves operate as they should and it sounds much better. Still will encounter some drone, but it's not particularly loud and definitely tolerable (I have a 1 hr commute each way).

I can't imagine how loud it would be if it were catless, no resonators and Race. I can guess it would be loud, but not particularly refined/matched to the rest of what the vehicle should convey.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 04:47 PM   #26
epiphanyray
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2003 E39 M5 + 2013 F10 M5

Totally agree about the Cold Start. I have custom axel back and Catless Downpipes, and cold starts used to be very loud. Tuner removed the cold start and car is great.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 10:55 AM   #27
Morteng70
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5 E60/M6 GC/M550i/M850/M3 Com

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5 guy View Post
This is my current dilemma as well. I'm deciding on two setups right now:

AMS catted, non-resonated Eisenmann mids, Eisenmann Sport

or

AMS catted, stock mids, Eisenmann race

1st world problem yes, but it's these little decisions that take forever to figure out.
Hi, can I ask what set up you ended up with? Looking at the same set up, thanks😊
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 12:17 PM   #28
m5 guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morteng70 View Post
Quote:
This is my current dilemma as well. I'm deciding on two setups right now:

AMS catted, non-resonated Eisenmann mids, Eisenmann Sport

or

AMS catted, stock mids, Eisenmann race

1st world problem yes, but it's these little decisions that take forever to figure out.
Hi, can I ask what set up you ended up with? Looking at the same set up, thanks😊
Sure can. My setup is the following:

-Fabworx catless downpipes with Swaintech white lightning coating

-Eisenmann midpipes with cats welded in. Had IND do this. They used the cats from their AMS catted downpipes.

-Eisenmann sport level muffler with 102mm tips
2001 E46 M3 Oxford Green Metallic II-Cinnamon SOLD
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 01:06 PM   #29
Morteng70
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Sure can. My setup is the following:

-Fabworx catless downpipes with Swaintech white lightning coating

-Eisenmann midpipes with cats welded in. Had IND do this. They used the cats from their AMS catted downpipes.

-Eisenmann sport level muffler with 102mm tips
Great set up....can I ask were you welded the cats...around were the resonators would be placed...? Feedback from Eisenmann was that the biggest reason for going with E-mid pipe was not to cut oem exhaust, no difference in sound or level...so the welded cats take care off the smell?
Its either one of your set ups or Race with valves (yes, Eisenmann can deliver the Race with the same valve system as on the Sport, on requests) and then Exhaust Meister to controll the valves remotly Would be the best of 2 worlds
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 07:02 PM   #30
m5 guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morteng70 View Post
Great set up....can I ask were you welded the cats...around were the resonators would be placed...? Feedback from Eisenmann was that the biggest reason for going with E-mid pipe was not to cut oem exhaust, no difference in sound or level...so the welded cats take care off the smell?
Its either one of your set ups or Race with valves (yes, Eisenmann can deliver the Race with the same valve system as on the Sport, on requests) and then Exhaust Meister to control the valves remotely Would be the best of 2 worlds
IND had the cats welded in closer to the front of the car, but I'm sure welding them in place of the stock resonators on the oem pipes will be fine. The only concern is if the cats will be too far away to get hot enough to do their job. I also have the Exhaust Meister. I use it to keep the valve on the sport open all the time after cold start.
2001 E46 M3 Oxford Green Metallic II-Cinnamon SOLD
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 08:16 PM   #31
apsuard
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5 Competition

I can’t imagine buying the Sport but that is just me. I have Erace and catless and love it. Although I know sound and drone is subjective. Erace alone was pretty mellow I thought
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 05:45 AM   #32
Morteng70
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apsuard View Post
I can’t imagine buying the Sport but that is just me. I have Erace and catless and love it. Although I know sound and drone is subjective. Erace alone was pretty mellow I thought
Any drone with just the Erace mufflers..? I am considering also Erace with catted but again, afraid off the drone...
Appreciate 0