Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 Blue Sapphire Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by avlnch View Post
Understanding M5 DCT
SEQUENTIAL (S): S1, S2, S3
S1: Upshifts and downshifts are slightly delayed in favor of a very comfortable and nearly impossible to feel gear change.
S2: Upshifts and downshifts are very fast and instant.
S3: Upshifts and downshifts are even faster. This is DCT at it's finest.

DRIVELOGIC (D): D1, D2, D3
D1: Behaves like S1, and least sensitive to drivers throttle input. In this mode the DCT will keep the gears as high as possible and engine speed low. This is the mode you want to be in for maximum comfort and maximum MPG.
D2: Behaves like S2, and more sensitive to drivers throttle input. In this mode the DCT will keep itself in the right/ideal gear.
D3: Behaves like S3, and most sensitive to drivers throttle input. In this mode the DCT will keep itself in the optimal gear (aka ready to go gear), and will react to throttle input immediately. This is the mode you want to be in for maximum performance.

Understanding M5 Traction Control Systems
DSC ON: All traction control systems are enabled.
DSC OFF: All traction control systems are 100% disabled.
MDM: DSC is fully disabled, and MDM is activated. MDM will provide you with a "safety net". It is the "middle ground" between DSC On and DSC Off. It's important to note that the safety net MDM provides will not save you all the time and it will not save you from every situation. Also important to note is that if you have the ZCP package equipped on your M5, MDM operates on a modified and reengineered program, which is reprogrammed to be even less intrusive.

The best way to understand and learn the car is to read the manual front to back, and spend time behind the wheel. Spend a few days just driving in S1-3 and another few days just driving in D1-3. You will catch on very quickly.
The M5 is a high performance vehicle, and demands that type of respect. Use great caution with DSC Off and MDM.
Great comment. By the way is there any way you could do lunch control with traction on? I had a bad experience with lunch control on my m3 with no traction on
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 04:13 AM   #24
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

No it has to be off. Actually I'd say after you do it once or twice you won't even bother doing it. Not worth it IMO. Why bother tearing up the transmission
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 05:38 AM   #25
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

The ZF transmission only has an automatic drive and automatic sport. It doesn't have a sequential mode like the M5. When you are in sequential mode in the M5, it will never shift for you UNLESS:

1. Minimum RPM Reached For Selected Gear: If you are in too low of a gear, it will then downshift for you. For example, say you are in 3rd gear and approaching a red light. If you do not downshift at all and slowly bring the car to the white line at the stop light, you will notice the car automatically downshifts to 2nd gear and then just before you are at a full stop it will downshift to 1st gear.

2. Over-Rev Condition For Requested Gear: If you are in any gear and attempt to downshift to a lower gear that puts the engine RPM very close to or over the RPM limit, it will not act on your request to drop down a gear. The same applies if you attempt to double-downshift. It will deny any request to drop a gear if it brings the engine speed to an over-rev state.
That function is now also available on the ZF 8-speed in Sport+ mode Not on all models apparently, but my F10 got that feature when the engine and transmission software was updated this fall. In Sport+ I now have to manually shift both up and down, as explained above.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 05:49 AM   #26
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4nh View Post
^this. buys 100k car.. doesn't read basic features in the manual.
Sadly this was true
Coming from F10 550i Dinan Stage 2 made me think I must know this car really well, UT I turned out I was very wrong and reading everybody's post I learned something new..

Not just that I also noticed that some of you guys are still learning some new TRICKS about DCT features from each other too -

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 05:55 AM   #27
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

On a side note
OMG not a single vote for E60 SMG?!
I know it wasn't anybody's favorite Daily Driver transmission but still I read some posts and some people still raved about it especially on Trackdays!! And I am sure many of the so many people voting here owned E60 before F10. .. yet not a single vote to SMG!!
Manual got 1:6 of the votes which is a out real life % of people driving manual F10!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 02:12 PM   #28
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by soooma
On a side note
OMG not a single vote for E60 SMG?!
I know it wasn't anybody's favorite Daily Driver transmission but still I read some posts and some people still raved about it especially on Trackdays!! And I am sure many of the so many people voting here owned E60 before F10. .. yet not a single vote to SMG!!
Manual got 1:6 of the votes which is a out real life % of people driving manual F10!
I loved my E60 M5 with SMG. The DCT is a much better transmission, however there are certain features that should of been carrier over.. which I very much miss.

Also while the DCT is a fantastic transmission, there's nothing like a SMG redline shift in S6. It was addicting. I'm sure others would agree.
      12-30-2013, 02:13 PM   #29
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330
Quote:

The ZF transmission only has an automatic drive and automatic sport. It doesn't have a sequential mode like the M5. When you are in sequential mode in the M5, it will never shift for you UNLESS:

1. Minimum RPM Reached For Selected Gear: If you are in too low of a gear, it will then downshift for you. For example, say you are in 3rd gear and approaching a red light. If you do not downshift at all and slowly bring the car to the white line at the stop light, you will notice the car automatically downshifts to 2nd gear and then just before you are at a full stop it will downshift to 1st gear.

2. Over-Rev Condition For Requested Gear: If you are in any gear and attempt to downshift to a lower gear that puts the engine RPM very close to or over the RPM limit, it will not act on your request to drop down a gear. The same applies if you attempt to double-downshift. It will deny any request to drop a gear if it brings the engine speed to an over-rev state.
That function is now also available on the ZF 8-speed in Sport+ mode Not on all models apparently, but my F10 got that feature when the engine and transmission software was updated this fall. In Sport+ I now have to manually shift both up and down, as explained above.
That's good.. especially for the new Alpina B7 that got the new ZF 8 Speed.
      12-30-2013, 02:16 PM   #30
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.S.A
Quote:
Understanding M5 DCT
SEQUENTIAL (S): S1, S2, S3
S1: Upshifts and downshifts are slightly delayed in favor of a very comfortable and nearly impossible to feel gear change.
S2: Upshifts and downshifts are very fast and instant.
S3: Upshifts and downshifts are even faster. This is DCT at it's finest.

DRIVELOGIC (D): D1, D2, D3
D1: Behaves like S1, and least sensitive to drivers throttle input. In this mode the DCT will keep the gears as high as possible and engine speed low. This is the mode you want to be in for maximum comfort and maximum MPG.
D2: Behaves like S2, and more sensitive to drivers throttle input. In this mode the DCT will keep itself in the right/ideal gear.
D3: Behaves like S3, and most sensitive to drivers throttle input. In this mode the DCT will keep itself in the optimal gear (aka ready to go gear), and will react to throttle input immediately. This is the mode you want to be in for maximum performance.

Understanding M5 Traction Control Systems
DSC ON: All traction control systems are enabled.
DSC OFF: All traction control systems are 100% disabled.
MDM: DSC is fully disabled, and MDM is activated. MDM will provide you with a "safety net". It is the "middle ground" between DSC On and DSC Off. It's important to note that the safety net MDM provides will not save you all the time and it will not save you from every situation. Also important to note is that if you have the ZCP package equipped on your M5, MDM operates on a modified and reengineered program, which is reprogrammed to be even less intrusive.

The best way to understand and learn the car is to read the manual front to back, and spend time behind the wheel. Spend a few days just driving in S1-3 and another few days just driving in D1-3. You will catch on very quickly.
The M5 is a high performance vehicle, and demands that type of respect. Use great caution with DSC Off and MDM.
Great comment. By the way is there any way you could do lunch control with traction on? I had a bad experience with lunch control on my m3 with no traction on
You can't use LC with traction control on or MDM enabled. DSC must be fully disabled.
Always need to be awake, aware and ready to counter steer the car.

May I ask what happened in your M3?
      04-12-2014, 11:52 AM   #31
///SAL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 ///M5 ZCP

Sorry guys i think this is old, but i had a x5 50i and it was a beast for me i liked it when i shift it into ds mode. Now how do i do that in the m5 still havent picked up the car yet but i dont wanna look like a fool either on the way home
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2014, 01:45 PM   #32
NlckyBlack
Captain
Greece
Rep
Drives: Too many cars

Quote:
I loved my E60 M5 with SMG. The DCT is a much better transmission, however there are certain features that should of been carrier over.. which I very much miss.

Also while the DCT is a fantastic transmission, there's nothing like a SMG redline shift in S6. It was addicting. I'm sure others would agree.
def agree
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2014, 02:44 PM   #33
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 991.1 911 GTS, '16 F85 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Do you guys use D a lot? I find that I dont anymore.
      04-12-2014, 06:01 PM   #34
black993s
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 - Black Sapphire

Watch this before you turn off the granny button...

Put mine in MDM mode last week. The car just about goes sideways in park. Need to catch a spin or you'll crash. The M5 is a beast. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2014, 06:29 PM   #35
///SAL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 ///M5 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by black993s
Watch this before you turn off the granny button...

Put mine in MDM mode last week. The car just about goes sideways in park. Need to catch a spin or you'll crash. The M5 is a beast. Thank you.
Sos mdm is better than dsc?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2014, 06:55 PM   #36
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///SAL
Sorry guys i think this is old, but i had a x5 50i and it was a beast for me i liked it when i shift it into ds mode. Now how do i do that in the m5 still havent picked up the car yet but i dont wanna look like a fool either on the way home
See my post above.. Answers both of your questions in detail.
      04-12-2014, 07:07 PM   #37
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 X7 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickC23
Do you guys use D a lot? I find that I dont anymore.
I use it every morning on my way to work. Driving in traffic, sipping my coffee, enjoying the comfort of my 5 series.

Other than when I have my morning coffee in the car, it is never in D mode.

'25 M5 Touring (on the list, first slot)
'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2014, 09:44 PM   #38
savela
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5M

I believe that in MDM mode, DSC is not fully disengaged. It'll let you get a little crazy but steps in at the limit. At higher speeds, it is as if it is fully engaged, even in MDM mode. I think.
2011 550i (traded)
Appreciate 0