Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

11-25-2012, 11:06 AM   #1
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

User's Manual, NOT Owner's Manual

With some questions that have been posted regarding navigation, or using the DVD player I tried to find those subjects in the Owner's Manual and it refers to "see user's manual for Navigation, Entertainment and Communication". I don't have my M5 yet, for those of you who do, is there a separate user's manual which comes with the vehicle? Does it cover those topics adequately?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 01:09 PM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

I don't have a M5 but a 530d , but yes there is a big think manual that covers all of the features whether you have them in your particular car or not.
The info is also available on the I-drive.

I think I may have seen the manual as a pdf somewhere, most probably the BMW USA site I think (not sure though) - quick google may find it for you.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 01:15 PM   #3
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
I don't have a M5 but a 530d , but yes there is a big think manual that covers all of the features whether you have them in your particular car or not.
The info is also available on the I-drive.

I think I may have seen the manual as a pdf somewhere, most probably the BMW USA site I think (not sure though) - quick google may find it for you.
You did note that I'm looking for a USER'S MANUAL, not the owner's manual, which I do have as a PDF file.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 02:50 PM   #4
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Used2be View Post
With some questions that have been posted regarding navigation, or using the DVD player I tried to find those subjects in the Owner's Manual and it refers to "see user's manual for Navigation, Entertainment and Communication". I don't have my M5 yet, for those of you who do, is there a separate user's manual which comes with the vehicle? Does it cover those topics adequately?
I would like this too. I don't think the owners manual adequately covers voice commands.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 04:16 PM   #5
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
I would like this too. I don't think the owners manual adequately covers voice commands.
From the lack of response to my question is it possible that there is no such thing as a User's Manual for Navigation, Entertainment and Communication? It is referred to at least twice in the pdf version of the Owner's Manual on page 217 at CD/Multimedia, and page 221 at Navigation. I just found it again on page 6 with this entry:
User's manual for Navigation, Entertainment, Communication

The topics of Navigation, Entertainment and Communication are described in a separate user's manual, which is also included with the onboard literature.

Were none of you owners who actually have an F10 M5 given the User's Manual for Navigation, Entertainment and Communication by the dealer when you picked up the car? Or, is it sitting neglected in the glove box, unnoticed?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 04:32 PM   #6
Farmerboy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10 520d

In the UK we have no online downloads available. Cars come with details on iDrive plus paper copies of: quick start guide 40 pages, Owners handbook 266 pages plus Navigation, entertainment, communication handbook at 131 pages.
The navigation handbook is detailed and has 10 pages of voice commands to learn.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 04:41 PM   #7
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 458SPY, GT3RS on the way

Quote:
From the lack of response to my question is it possible that there is no such thing as a User's Manual for Navigation, Entertainment and Communication? It is referred to at least twice in the pdf version of the Owner's Manual on page 217 at CD/Multimedia, and page 221 at Navigation. I just found it again on page 6 with this entry:
User's manual for Navigation, Entertainment, Communication

The topics of Navigation, Entertainment and Communication are described in a separate user's manual, which is also included with the onboard literature.

Were none of you owners who actually have an F10 M5 given the User's Manual for Navigation, Entertainment and Communication by the dealer when you picked up the car? Or, is it sitting neglected in the glove box, unnoticed?
It came with the manual, and sorry I read it and placed it back in the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 06:22 PM   #8
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer6 View Post
It came with the manual, and sorry I read it and placed it back in the car.
Thanks for confirming that at least there is a user's manual. Was it not very useful for you? Poorly written or just not informative?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 06:36 PM   #9
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep

It read fine, and basically it's has some user friendly tips. I don't use use many of the features, but I just drive the heck out of the car. It's my weekend car so I really drive it for the experience, and play with the M settings. The NAV is better than my 650i, but simple in my opinion. In the leather manual holder you will have the big BMW bible, tire info, NAV and radio booklet. I read all that stuff on the plane back from ED back to the states. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 06:54 PM   #10
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It read fine, and basically it's has some user friendly tips. I don't use many of the features, but I just drive the heck out of the car.
Just from my brief test drive, and from reading the owner's manual, there are a lot of different settings available and I'd like to learn more about them before I get the car. Hoping to bypass the frustrations by learning the variables and figuring what I want from the different systems. Guess I'll wait for the Nav and audio system manual and learn that as I use the car. But, like you my main pleasure will come from just driving the heck out of it, and not twiddling dials and pushing buttons. Doing this ground work helps to pass the time as I wait for the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 07:22 PM   #11
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep

Good luck! I purchased my car in MI and drove it to GA. Did you buy from Bavarian?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 08:38 PM   #12
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Good luck! I purchased my car in MI and drove it to GA. Did you buy from Bavarian?
I'm on the west side of the state and did a test drive in an M5 from Ziegler BMW in Kalamazoo. They had it in stock for about two weeks and it sold to a dealer in Lansing just a couple of days after I drove it. If every dealer could have an M5 demo in stock for potential customers to drive it would probably up their sales! It was fully loaded and not the car I wanted, so I'm doing the long wait.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 08:51 PM   #13
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Neglected in the glove box. I downloaded the PDF manual to my iPad because I prefer to read the literature at home or on the plane. I will have a look in the glovebox packet at some point.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 08:59 PM   #14
nybimmerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6-Spd Manual MCB M5

The cloth binder that came with my M5 had 4 booklet items in it:
- THE BMW M5 SEDAN QUICK REFERENCE GUIDE
- THE BMW M5 SEDAN OWNER'S MANUAL
- NAVIGATION, ENTERTAINMENT, COMMUNICATION OWNER'S MANUAL
- License Texts and Certifications - Bluetooth

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 09:10 PM   #15
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep

Thank you both, Stealth and nybimmer, for your input. I will just wait for the car to arrive to read about the Nav, entertainment, and communication settings on the M5. Unlike the Owner's Manual, I guess BMW doesn't want to put that out as a .pdf file.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 12:58 PM   #16
PrecisionP
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ATPC's

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybimmerfan View Post
The cloth binder that came with my M5 had 4 booklet items in it:
- THE BMW M5 SEDAN QUICK REFERENCE GUIDE
- THE BMW M5 SEDAN OWNER'S MANUAL
- NAVIGATION, ENTERTAINMENT, COMMUNICATION OWNER'S MANUAL
- License Texts and Certifications - Bluetooth

Hope that helps.
Quote:
Thank you both, Stealth and nybimmer, for your input. I will just wait for the car to arrive to read about the Nav, entertainment, and communication settings on the M5. Unlike the Owner's Manual, I guess BMW doesn't want to put that out as a .pdf file.
This is the same set of manuals for the M6. The "NAVIGATION, ENTERTAINMENT, COMMUNICATION OWNER'S MANUAL" is a universal book based off of "all" the available nav options. With you having to key on things that pertain to your vehicle. The one that came with my M6 is VI/12, 07 12 490. Ofcourse the version that came with the 2012 M5's will be slightly different/updated since you guys have the new system already. My guess is that they will probably make a digital version one, once the new system is rolled out across all the models.

And to answer the main question, yes it is very detailed option by option what all the settings/symbols/commands mean. About 120 pages or so.

Last edited by PrecisionP; 11-26-2012 at 01:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 02:47 PM   #17
markenyux
Rep
Drives: bmw 3 series

Here download links for BMW M5 Owners Manuals PDF collection
Appreciate 0