M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

01-24-2016, 11:51 AM   #23
combatbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 20' X3M CP

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F10M5Manual View Post
Op wonder why speed gov't wasnt removed?

Mike: if you raised his car more would the clutch start slipping? Being a dct ? I think max you cn get out of the clutch is 670whp beyond that bye-bye clutch.
Never really cared to go over 155mph.
Retired:2015 M5 CP MSR Intake|Carbon Fiber Fender Vents|Meisterschaft GTC catback with LXR mid pipes and ER Catless DPs | BPMSPORT Stage II Tune | RKP Rear Diffuser and Challenge Center piece |RKP Front Lip| Painted Reflectors | H&R Springs | Strasse SM5R Carbon Fiber Wheels | Nitto R888 |
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2016, 11:55 AM   #24
NightM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatbmw
Quote:
Op wonder why speed gov't wasnt removed?

Mike: if you raised his car more would the clutch start slipping? Being a dct ? I think max you cn get out of the clutch is 670whp beyond that bye-bye clutch.
Never really cared to go over 155mph.
I see. Gotcha
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2016, 06:28 PM   #25
Skeeter_f10
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

This makes me want a tune but I can't get over the fact of having to split open your ecu. I wish somebody would crack the whole obd2 tuning already haha.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2016, 06:35 PM   #26
NightM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter_f10
This makes me want a tune but I can't get over the fact of having to split open your ecu. I wish somebody would crack the whole obd2 tuning already haha.
That would give you flash counter which is Not good on our end. ( as owners of cars )Thats why my car always gets bench flashes ONLY way to go! And i guarantee it you will be happy!
Just imagine all the variables opened

Cel delete
Cold start delete
Speed gov't delimited
Better smooth power band
Etc

I love mine. I think i had a stock dme for like 12hrs after i bought the car at the dealer
Then straight to my boys shop next day
For Bms jb tune
Had for a year but bored with 155mph limit. So end up gng with Flash due to more potentials of the car.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2016, 06:51 PM   #27
momos750
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5, 2011 750Li

Quote:
Originally Posted by F10M5Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter_f10
That would give you flash counter which is Not good on our end. ( as owners of cars )Thats why my car always gets bench flashes ONLY way to go! And i guarantee it you will be happy!
Just imagine all the variables opened

Cel delete
Cold start delete
Speed gov't delimited
Better smooth power band
Etc

I love mine. I think i had a stock dme for like 12hrs after i bought the car at the dealer
Then straight to my boys shop next day
For Bms jb tune
Had for a year but bored with 155mph limit. So end up gng with Flash due to more potentials of the car.
What's not good about flash counter vs bench flash?
      01-24-2016, 07:39 PM   #28
NightM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by momos750 View Post
Flash Counter dealer sees it every time your tuner flashes the dme

that means if dealer flashes your car it gives the dmd 1 flash counter on each dme and that can be recorded through NA if anything goes wrong with your car and they dealer flash counter does NOT match against your dme flash counter that can set you back for Warranty Voided (Warranty Violation) from this Point, Only my tuner actually has the tool to not give any Flash Counters which is why i love my tune and can breathe and sleep on a nightly basis
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2016, 07:40 PM   #29
momos750
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

that means if dealer flashes your car it gives the dmd 1 flash counter on each dme and that can be recorded through NA if anything goes wrong with your car and they dealer flash counter does NOT match against your dme flash counter that can set you back for Warranty Voided (Warranty Violation) from this Point, Only my tuner actually has the tool to not give any Flash Counters which is why i love my tune and can breathe and sleep on a nightly basis
Well that pretty badass! I didn't know that
      01-24-2016, 07:46 PM   #30
NightM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Well that pretty badass! I didn't know that
thats one thing that Noone has even thought of, but since you are New to the game, I'm glad i can help you about some tunning ideas and what to look for .
pros and cons
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2016, 07:54 PM   #31
BPMSport
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

This is not true and not the way it works.

Please do not spread misinformation if you don't have first hand experience working with MEVD17xx control units.

I have serial EEPROM backups of the OPs DMEs which will put any counters back to exactly what they were before flashing.

The dealers do not see flash counters and they don't void warranties just on the basis of a flash counter being different. Flashing a stock update would increment these counters and validates this point alone.

We back up each ECU first and then the ECU can be flashed via OBD hundreds of times. If the backup is restored, those hundred flashes never happened.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2016, 08:22 PM   #32
NightM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post

Please do not spread misinformation if you don't have first hand experience working with MEVD17xx control units.

I have serial EEPROM backups of the OPs DMEs which will put any counters back to exactly what they were before flashing.

The dealers do not see flash counters and they don't void warranties just on the basis of a flash counter being different. Flashing a stock update would increment these counters and validates this point alone.

We back up each ECU first and then the ECU can be flashed via OBD hundreds of times. If the backup is restored, those hundred flashes never happened.

tell that to my dealer,
their flashes are match or noted on how many times they flash a dme and it should be match with the cars DME and recorded on their end.
since i known 3 buddies of mine already came across this..
1 example is I'm sure you remember my buddy with 2013 X5 50i in NJ that went back and forth with you and back and forth through his dealer and it didn't end well on his side.

if you were talking about stock file and getting flashed
basically you saved the stock file and yes the flash counter goes back to stock before you tuned the car.

but when you start revising tunes via obd thats a flash counter right there.
and the only way to get rid of that is bring the car back to stock file then you are right the tune never happened

How i know this, its because I'm very good friends with my SA at the dealer
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2016, 08:23 PM   #33
Skeeter_f10
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post

How do you open the ecu? You can pm me if you'd like.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2016, 08:31 PM   #34
NightM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter_f10 View Post
How do you open the ecu? You can pm me if you'd like.
Only way to open them is to Bench them .
that means you would have to send your dme out to a tune of your choice
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 05:18 PM   #35
BPMSport
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
tell that to my dealer,
their flashes are match or noted on how many times they flash a dme and it should be match with the cars DME and recorded on their end.
since i known 3 buddies of mine already came across this..
You are confusing the internal flash counter in the serial EEPROM with the UIF or AIF field with is the number of times the dealer system says the DME can be programmed, based on a limited space allocated in the file for writing this information. Again, this is technical in nature, and without a complete understanding of the DME, I wouldn't expect you to have a full grasp of this.

Quote:
1 example is I'm sure you remember my buddy with 2013 X5 50i in NJ that went back and forth with you and back and forth through his dealer and it didn't end well on his side.
I remember someone that was running downpipes without shields and that wound up melting his wiring harness, and there were problems with the car after that.

Quote:
if you were talking about stock file and getting flashed
basically you saved the stock file and yes the flash counter goes back to stock before you tuned the car.

but when you start revising tunes via obd thats a flash counter right there.
and the only way to get rid of that is bring the car back to stock file then you are right the tune never happened
There is more than one 'file' in the DME. Flashing back the stock tune does not make the flash counter go back to stock. You can run a tune without incrementing the counter if it's not flashed via OBD. If it is, you can then revert back regardless at a later date and still retain the tuned software. Perhaps your tuner can chime in here and I'd be happy to engage in a technical discussion.

Quote:
How i know this, its because I'm very good friends with my SA at the dealer
Sorry, but SA's at the dealer know much less than techs, and what we're discussing here is leaps and bounds beyond a techs level of understanding.

Quote:
Only way to open them is to Bench them .
that means you would have to send your dme out to a tune of your choice
It's the other way around. The only way to bench flash them is to open them up or to drill them, because you need access to the board to put the control unit in a particular mode which will allow flashing.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 3
      02-02-2016, 11:49 AM   #36
momos750
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfelunden
So much talk and no one posted nothing about my comment hahaha...
I would NOT call this car a 663whp car sorry, 620-630 yes.
I see BPM says it is not an advanced map, no added timing.. Well, add more timing to his 91 + torco mix and it will knock or just drop timing. Also, yes we did 691 whp on 93 octane @ 22 psi with downpipes and exhaust on an 6MT car.
Please, redyno this.. Moreover, what is the point in doing a flash tune without removing the limiter?!
From the graphs I've seen his whp numbers are what he stated, it's just that they had the dyno set on STD whp setting.
SAE numbers would be a bit lower, probably close to what you stated in the 630+- range.
      02-02-2016, 11:54 AM   #37
combatbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 20' X3M CP

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfelunden View Post
So much talk and no one posted nothing about my comment hahaha...
I would NOT call this car a 663whp car sorry, 620-630 yes.
I see BPM says it is not an advanced map, no added timing.. Well, add more timing to his 91 + torco mix and it will knock or just drop timing. Also, yes we did 691 whp on 93 octane @ 22 psi with downpipes and exhaust on an 6MT car.
Please, redyno this.. Moreover, what is the point in doing a flash tune without removing the limiter?!
I just posted up my graph man, I didnt know I or anyone else is obligated to respond to you, who are u?

Also I didn't remove the limiter because I don't plan to go over 155mph. Now for dyno purposes clearly that's an issue.
But I don't give a shit, the m5 is my daily driver. And I'm working on something soon if I ever have the desire to go over 155
So to answer your question better since I already been asked this in the thread and answered it I'll do it again for you.
Retired:2015 M5 CP MSR Intake|Carbon Fiber Fender Vents|Meisterschaft GTC catback with LXR mid pipes and ER Catless DPs | BPMSPORT Stage II Tune | RKP Rear Diffuser and Challenge Center piece |RKP Front Lip| Painted Reflectors | H&R Springs | Strasse SM5R Carbon Fiber Wheels | Nitto R888 |

Last edited by combatbmw; 02-02-2016 at 12:15 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2016, 12:44 PM   #38
allmotor_2000
F10 1/4 WR: 9.9s / 142.5mph 1/2 WR: 175.5mph
Rep
Drives: 2018 RS3, 991 Turbo

I think it was slipping on the dyno... car is making 660+. I had used up all the VHT :-)
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 02:14 PM   #39
momos750
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by allmotor_2000
I think it was slipping on the dyno... car is making 660+. I had used up all the VHT :-)
Need to put a couple people in the back seat or some bags of concrete in the trunk! Lol
      03-20-2016, 12:51 PM   #40
BPMSport
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBNYC
combatbmw nice congrats!
why wasnt the speed limiter removed?

Thats part of the ECU Flash option (why most ppl get it too)

my buddy dd1981 doing 167mph in Mexico with his EnzoTuned on his 335 though lol ..
He opted not to remove the limiter because the DME records this data (for warranty purposes). We also left the redline stock. We can remove it easily via OBD since it has already been prepped for flashing through the port.

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 04:15 AM   #41
Leec33
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Coupe Comp

Mike, says you are located in socal, where are you located, im in OC....

what are the benefits of having your flash tune over say a jb4 bcm module?

basically i want the most power as well as having the best powerband possible.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 09:08 AM   #42
TheHouseWon
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leec33 View Post

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1248685
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 08:09 PM   #43
BPMSport
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leec33

Sent you a PM.

Thanks!

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 12:26 AM   #44
Bushido Brown
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Mike, same question. I live in Vegas, where are you in SoCal? Another question I have is, if you were tune my car and the dealer ended up flashing it back to stock, do I need to come back to you to flash it again or is there something that can be done that I don't need to drive back out to you? And what gains can be expected from a stage one tune on a non comp car?
Appreciate 0