M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

02-01-2016, 03:43 AM   #45
m5sparky
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNich117 View Post
Utter nonsense. The damn car runs the Nurburgring every day and yet people turn it into a half ass drag racer. And the next m5 will weigh less than the current one due to BMW's ownership in SGL group which allows them to mass produce carbon fiber at a fraction of the cost it takes other companies. The new carbon core strategy in the 7 series is proof of that and so are the current m3 and m4 models with various cfrp components. Everyone complains atout losing rwd yet all they do is drag race. You can spend 25k modding a GTR that would shit on the m5 all day on the strip and on the highway. The car is purpose built and no one here seems to have any track experience at all. It's a joke for these cars to have this potential and everyone would rather risk vehicular manslaughter charges driving on the highway like morons. Bunch of posers.

Wanted to correct you and say the gtr don't need 25k to smoke the m5 buddy , it can beat it easily on drag or road course tracks stock form, my 13 gtr black edition weighd 3820 or so stock and had 545 hp when I bought it stock, that's 15 hp less and 500 pounds lighter, if it's running on the correct tune for the correct fuel octane it should be neck n neck even at highway pulls. It also don't cost 25k to mod the gtr to FBO, for under ten grand u can have fbo on e85 running flat tens or even high 9s with rear drag radials. I can constantly hit 10. 0 @138 mph on my gtr with drag radials in rear or 10. 4 on street tires and I just have full bolt ons, on custom tuned on e85, and my car weighs 3690 right now with titanium catless exhaust, Non run flat tires, and CCM rotors,thr awd on these cars is not like most imagine it's actually a rwd car with up to 50 percent power assist sent to front wheels when its needed, it feels like a rwd car and goes sideways when I overcook it in turns like a rwd car does, then it corrects it abd straightens out. This car has all the luxury items shoved into it to with good bose sound that's why it's heavy, it was built to kill other cars though not to be pretty or be luxury oriented, completely different car from the m5 made for different purposes or people, I love both types and finally was able to enjoy both at the same time and couldn't be happier. I do Also feel that m5 isn't a race car, it's a luxury gt car to me but that's just my opinion, if I wanted a lighter track car the now m4 fits the bill Alot more better than the m5 for road course racing, I do think anything over 4k is to much for track use and to heavy and will kill brakes and everything way to fast compared to other track cars,and not hold corners as good as lighter cars. It's a bad ass street car and I love driving it daily, gtr is my Killin machine for track duty now lol.

- 2013 GTR BE - pearl white, FBO on e85, ccm rotors, ported intake manifold, jacks drag950 trans. ADV10 wheels, matte carbon fiber upgrades.
- 2013 BMW M5 - silverstone , Dinan stage 2 with dinan exhaust.
- 2013 GMC Sierra Denali 1500
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 03:48 AM   #46
m5sparky
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Btw sorry if I'm thread Jackin I just saw a similar situation brought up and have to pass smog this week since my m5 was out of state purchased and it has Dinan stage 2 tune and exhaust, will I be able to pass smog without ununstall it?

- 2013 GTR BE - pearl white, FBO on e85, ccm rotors, ported intake manifold, jacks drag950 trans. ADV10 wheels, matte carbon fiber upgrades.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 09:47 AM   #47
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3sparky View Post
Btw sorry if I'm thread Jackin I just saw a similar situation brought up and have to pass smog this week since my m5 was out of state purchased and it has Dinan stage 2 tune and exhaust, will I be able to pass smog without ununstall it?
No need to uninstall anything. Everything will pass smog. The CARB EO sticker should be front and center in the engine compartment for the DINANTRONICS as well. If for some reason you do not have the EO sticker reach out to technical support and they can get you a new one (800-341-5480 x2124).
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 01:41 PM   #48
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3sparky View Post
Wanted to correct you and say the gtr don't need 25k to smoke the m5 buddy , it can beat it easily on drag or road course tracks stock form, my 13 gtr black edition weighd 3820 or so stock and had 545 hp when I bought it stock, that's 15 hp less and 500 pounds lighter...
I'm not trying to jump in your conversation, but since I have challenged many GTR in rolling I can tell you the stock GTR is not able to keep up with stock M5/M6 in rolling. In case of Drag you are right and there is no doubt GTR jumps off the line faster due to AWD, but for longer distance like 1 mile or so or higher speed like 300 km/h still the GTR is not the winner. Please see the link below.. Also speaking about rolling as you know in rolling the main factor is power to weight ratio at wheel where AWD cars have more drivetrain loss compare to RWD (let's say over 15% compare to 10-12%). Also the actual power of S63tu engine is proven to be over 600 HP by many people including Dinan as a well-known tuner in US.
Link below is a good evidence to see how M5/M6 (M6 CP in this case) can go to 300 km/h about 4-5 second faster than GTR Black edition...

http://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=911274

And there are many homemade videos over youtube you can see how M5/M6 can beat GTR in rolling. I'm pretty sure you can find them if you search...
Attached Images

Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 03:09 PM   #49
m5sparky
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
No need to uninstall anything. Everything will pass smog. The CARB EO sticker should be front and center in the engine compartment for the DINANTRONICS as well. If for some reason you do not have the EO sticker reach out to technical support and they can get you a new one (800-341-5480 x2124).

appreciate the quick responce!

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 03:22 PM   #50
m5sparky
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe View Post
I'm not trying to jump in your conversation, but since I have challenged many GTR in rolling I can tell you the stock GTR is not able to keep up with stock M5/M6 in rolling. In case of Drag you are right and there is no doubt GTR jumps off the line faster due to AWD, but for longer distance like 1 mile or so or higher speed like 300 km/h still the GTR is not the winner. Please see the link below.. Also speaking about rolling as you know in rolling the main factor is power to weight ratio at wheel where AWD cars have more drivetrain loss compare to RWD (let's say over 15% compare to 10-12%). Also the actual power of S63tu engine is proven to be over 600 HP by many people including Dinan as a well-known tuner in US.
Link below is a good evidence to see how M5/M6 (M6 CP in this case) can go to 300 km/h about 4-5 second faster than GTR Black edition...

http://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=911274

And there are many homemade videos over youtube you can see how M5/M6 can beat GTR in rolling. I'm pretty sure you can find them if you search...

thats why i said if its tuned to the right octane its using , when i bought the car it did not feel like 545 hp car, i took it to the dealer the next day and sure enough they had a flash they needed to install for 91 crap california gas, after they updated the ecu it was completly different car and much more alive, since the factory pretuned the ecu for 93 the two points lower was affecting the performance alot. if speeking based of just the numbers the m5 shoudnt be beating the gtr even on highway rolls if it is then the stock numbers from bmw are lieing and indeed it has more than the factory claimed hp and tq numbers, in which case the gtr just needs a midpipe installed that eliminated 2 of the 4 cats from the car and is 500 bucks used in which it will get 20 to 30 more hp and would be more of a fair race, it def doesnt need 25k worth of mods to be beating the m5 is what i was trying to clear up. for under 10 k you could have it beating anything thats half a million dollars or less, the traction is whats so awesome on the car, the most addicting feature of a stock gtr to me was the launch control, neck snapping gut quenching g forces that is an adrenaline , and anyone i would give a ride in would always agree, i tried the m5 launch and i just roast tires lol , which is all in all its own fun but not beneficial for racing without some wider sticky tires.

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 04:18 PM   #51
ChrisNich117
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 F10 M5 Alpine White ZCP

Garage List
2009 e92 M3 coupe  [0.00]
2013 F10 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3sparky
Quote:
Utter nonsense. The damn car runs the Nurburgring every day and yet people turn it into a half ass drag racer. And the next m5 will weigh less than the current one due to BMW's ownership in SGL group which allows them to mass produce carbon fiber at a fraction of the cost it takes other companies. The new carbon core strategy in the 7 series is proof of that and so are the current m3 and m4 models with various cfrp components. Everyone complains atout losing rwd yet all they do is drag race. You can spend 25k modding a GTR that would shit on the m5 all day on the strip and on the highway. The car is purpose built and no one here seems to have any track experience at all. It's a joke for these cars to have this potential and everyone would rather risk vehicular manslaughter charges driving on the highway like morons. Bunch of posers.

Wanted to correct you and say the gtr don't need 25k to smoke the m5 buddy , it can beat it easily on drag or road course tracks stock form, my 13 gtr black edition weighd 3820 or so stock and had 545 hp when I bought it stock, that's 15 hp less and 500 pounds lighter, if it's running on the correct tune for the correct fuel octane it should be neck n neck even at highway pulls. It also don't cost 25k to mod the gtr to FBO, for under ten grand u can have fbo on e85 running flat tens or even high 9s with rear drag radials. I can constantly hit 10. 0 @138 mph on my gtr with drag radials in rear or 10. 4 on street tires and I just have full bolt ons, on custom tuned on e85, and my car weighs 3690 right now with titanium catless exhaust, Non run flat tires, and CCM rotors,thr awd on these cars is not like most imagine it's actually a rwd car with up to 50 percent power assist sent to front wheels when its needed, it feels like a rwd car and goes sideways when I overcook it in turns like a rwd car does, then it corrects it abd straightens out. This car has all the luxury items shoved into it to with good bose sound that's why it's heavy, it was built to kill other cars though not to be pretty or be luxury oriented, completely different car from the m5 made for different purposes or people, I love both types and finally was able to enjoy both at the same time and couldn't be happier. I do Also feel that m5 isn't a race car, it's a luxury gt car to me but that's just my opinion, if I wanted a lighter track car the now m4 fits the bill Alot more better than the m5 for road course racing, I do think anything over 4k is to much for track use and to heavy and will kill brakes and everything way to fast compared to other track cars,and not hold corners as good as lighter cars. It's a bad ass street car and I love driving it daily, gtr is my Killin machine for track duty now lol.
I wasn't saying anything bad about the GTR, you only strengthened my argument lol. It doesn't cost much to beat the M5 in a drag race and thank you for proving it. I only said 25k because I figured that was a small amount. But I'm glad you were able to do it for much less
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 04:50 PM   #52
m5sparky
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I wasn't saying anything bad about the GTR, you only strengthened my argument lol. It doesn't cost much to beat the M5 in a drag race and thank you for proving it. I only said 25k because I figured that was a small amount. But I'm glad you were able to do it for much less

lol i wasnt saying you were , just wanted to clear something up from my 3 year of ownership of the gtr. i feel like im already leading the thread of topic so il post a new thread in the m5 versus section with a video of a full bolt on f10 m5 vs my fbo gtr that happened at shift sector, not sure if the owner was from around here but he wasnt to happy then.

Appreciate 1
      02-01-2016, 04:54 PM   #53
ChrisNich117
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 F10 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3sparky
Quote:

lol i wasnt saying you were , just wanted to clear something up from my 3 year of ownership of the gtr. i feel like im already leading the thread of topic so il post a new thread in the m5 versus section with a video of a full bolt on f10 m5 vs my fbo gtr that happened at shift sector, not sure if the owner was from around here but he wasnt to happy then.
My friend is doing an AMS alpha9 kit on his 2015 GTR (not a black edition). He's spending around 35k which includes HRE wheels and I think a rear cfrp spoiler. That will be my first ride in a moded GTR. Always loved the GTR and it's still going strong.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 07:38 PM   #54
AstonMartian777
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 F06

Having experienced both flash and jb4 with BCM I can say flash in on another level in terms of driveability

Last edited by AstonMartian777; 02-01-2016 at 08:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 05:20 AM   #55
m5sparky
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I though Dinan tune would Elim the speed limitor? I hit 170 twice and wouldn't let me go past that, kinda sad. I'm assuming other tunes Elim it?

Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 06:52 AM   #56
Lerxst M4
Command Sergeant Major of the Army
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5sparky View Post
I though Dinan tune would Elim the speed limitor? I hit 170 twice and wouldn't let me go past that, kinda sad. I'm assuming other tunes Elim it?
Yeah, sorry - no top speed delimiter with the Dinan (stages 1 or 2).
2008 E90 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 09:13 AM   #57
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8, f10m59(Rip), m4, GTR

Quote:
My friend is doing an AMS alpha9 kit on his 2015 GTR (not a black edition). He's spending around 35k which includes HRE wheels and I think a rear cfrp spoiler. That will be my first ride in a moded GTR. Always loved the GTR and it's still going strong.
He's paying baller pricing [and baller labor], I got baller parts [just great labor rates]. I love AMS and the gang in our private groups they do amazing work and his car will be reliable, but he could spend 10k more and get another 100-200whp and have a car almost ready for 300-500 more...

You're basically paying a premium for their R&D and Name.

They do amazing work but TSM, T1, Buschur Racing, Switzer, WGP, HKS, etc. are doing. Especially at that level.

Now if you want 1700whp+ you really do need some of those more specialized shops unless you have unlimited funds to work with your buddies.

But at FBO-1200whp and even 1500whp now with some of the changes and R&D across the platform. You really could work with anyone and get a 100% reliable car.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 09:27 AM   #58
ChrisNich117
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 F10 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iRlz
Quote:
He's paying baller pricing [and baller labor], I got baller parts [just great labor rates]. I love AMS and the gang in our private groups they do amazing work and his car will be reliable, but he could spend 10k more and get another 100-200whp and have a car almost ready for 300-500 more...

You're basically paying a premium for their R&D and Name.

They do amazing work but TSM, T1, Buschur Racing, Switzer, WGP, HKS, etc. are doing. Especially at that level.

Now if you want 1700whp+ you really do need some of those more specialized shops unless you have unlimited funds to work with your buddies.

But at FBO-1200whp and even 1500whp now with some of the changes and R&D across the platform. You really could work with anyone and get a 100% reliable car.
He's got about 36 or 37 cars right now and spends about 50k a month on his projects. He always goes with name brands and the work is done by BMW and Porsche master techs that have full time jobs at dealerships. He wants power that he can control on the street even though I don't think he's ever mashed the pedal on any of them. It's all for the bragging rights. But the finished products are unbelievable.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 02:18 PM   #59
m5sparky
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
going in the motor and or aftermarket turbos is my next step from where im at, i already blew my stock trans running drag radials in the rear, it was to much power for the stock trans to launch from with no wheel spin i guess, now i have jacks drag 950 good for 1000 whp trans so i can launch all i want lol. im maxing my motor out at the limit already to , just dont want to start going that route because it gets real pricy from there on and less reliability the higher you go in hp. you wont be dissapointed in that ride you get thats for damn sure.

Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 02:19 PM   #60
m5sparky
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerxst M5 View Post
Yeah, sorry - no top speed delimiter with the Dinan (stages 1 or 2).
that sucks big time, what would be the best thing to do to get it removed? i really dont wanna change the tune and void warranty on it, and i dont know what i have to do to get stage three dinan.

Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 09:57 PM   #61
halfbent
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
India
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi R8

Quote:
that sucks big time, what would be the best thing to do to get it removed? i really dont wanna change the tune and void warranty on it, and i dont know what i have to do to get stage three dinan.

DINAN, can you verify this please.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 08:11 AM   #62
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfbent View Post
DINAN, can you verify this please.
DINANTRONICS does not remove the governor. Has never been advertised that it has. No piggyback, regardless of how advanced, has that capability. We have been looking at possible solutions for quite some time but to date have been unsuccessful. Perhaps we will have a breakthrough at some point and a solution will be available but it seems pretty clear from the engineers that it would not be a function of DINANTRONICS but a standalone module that will be needed in order to achieve it, if ever at all, via an external method.

Currently the only way to remove the governor is by physically removing the ECU(s), prying it open / drilling into it, and bypassing the encryption. Those solutions are readily available albeit not from Dinan due to the warranty voiding/liability it creates.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 09:42 AM   #63
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8, f10m59(Rip), m4, GTR

Quote:
25k in a GTR would easily out match some of the top performing Ms be it 4's or 5's or 6's

But again these are two different cars. Like I said I'm sitting over here waiting for you guys to put down 1k on mustang dynos so I may actually have to try let alone dynojets lol.

My m4 is like hoping in a S class compared to how rough the GTR is to drive. It literally is a reenforced chassis with a nice set of speakers, and enough tech to at least make it seem like it can offer something technology wise beyond performance. But at the end of the day for me personally I've enjoyed my time with the GTR far more than with my M4/M5.

Now with that said I am looking to get back into the S63tu game now with all the advancements in modding.

Quote:
going in the motor and or aftermarket turbos is my next step from where im at, i already blew my stock trans running drag radials in the rear, it was to much power for the stock trans to launch from with no wheel spin i guess, now i have jacks drag 950 good for 1000 whp trans so i can launch all i want lol. im maxing my motor out at the limit already to , just dont want to start going that route because it gets real pricy from there on and less reliability the higher you go in hp. you wont be dissapointed in that ride you get thats for damn sure.
Honestly if you do it right it should be fine bro. I mean they lol at those of us in the 1100-1400whp range now since thats the new safe norm with all the R&D two years ago it was 1250 max for reliability. I'm at 3800miles on my build with little problems.

Its where you try to skimp on engine building/ transmission, DSS axles that you might find yourself pushing things to the limit.

Spray it racing turbos, Injectors, and 4-6k in the engine, and with your trans. I'd be shocked same as I'm skeptical of the guy on here saying he blew out his entire drivetrain with just JB4 lol. There is just too much data to prove contrary aside from the freak incidents.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 11:29 AM   #64
RazDaz
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 550i

Help! Safe to go without Competition Package?

I'm currently deployed and will be ordering a '16 M5 in a couple of months to be ready for my return. I've had 2 550i's in the past and I'm looking forward to the jump. My question is, is the competition package really worth $7300. Are the suspension modifications that different over the non CP suspension? And to compensate for the slight drop in HP I was considering throwing a piggy back on it. It would be really nice to have 600+ whp. So to sum it up, these are my questions.

1. Is the CP worth the money?

2. Which tune should I go with? I am seeking minimal effort, preferably just doing the plug and play and leaving the stock hardware intact. Is this possible with desirable results of 600 whp? I'm fairly new to all the technical terms being thrown around so please bare with me if I ask for something to be explained.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 12:22 PM   #65
allmotor_2000
F10 1/4 WR: 9.9s / 142.5mph 1/2 WR: 175.5mph
Rep
Drives: 2018 RS3, 991 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazDaz View Post
I'm currently deployed and will be ordering a '16 M5 in a couple of months to be ready for my return. I've had 2 550i's in the past and I'm looking forward to the jump. My question is, is the competition package really worth $7300. Are the suspension modifications that different over the non CP suspension? And to compensate for the slight drop in HP I was considering throwing a piggy back on it. It would be really nice to have 600+ whp. So to sum it up, these are my questions.

1. Is the CP worth the money?

2. Which tune should I go with? I am seeking minimal effort, preferably just doing the plug and play and leaving the stock hardware intact. Is this possible with desirable results of 600 whp? I'm fairly new to all the technical terms being thrown around so please bare with me if I ask for something to be explained.
Absolutely worth it - MDM is less restrictive, steering feel is better, suspension is tighter, exhaust sounds louder...
Appreciate 1