M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

12-02-2017, 01:36 PM   #1
carrera2RSL
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 CP

CP vs Dinan vs KW V3

well, I have now sold my M5, it's gone and I miss it a bit

But the new car is very different and very sweet

Anyhow, some thoughts and comments about the handling and suspension. well I started with CP suspension and liked it but wanted something a little more planted and sporty than the M5 CP on sport plus.

My view on standard CP suspension - Very competent but I didn't find the chassis feedback as good as hoped the car needed to lean a little, take up the slack as it turned in and it gripped well but did have a feeling of float when thrown by bumps at speed and somehow was difficult to place on the road. Moving to Dinan helped with the looks (lowered by 10-15mm more than CP heights) and it was a better drive when changed, but the things I hoped to improve were the same. The car felt better than stock, actually more compliant than CP and with the dinan roll bars was flatter and more stable in corners.

The trouble was I really wanted the near 2 tonne M5 to shrink a little and feel a little more 'planted' on the road. The adjustability of the M5 was quite coarse and whist Dinan with Sport plus was good, it felt more big saloon than sports car.

I took the plunge with a set of KW V3 adjustable suspension springs and dampers, a really big improvement, the car shrunk instantly felt much more planted, easier to place on the road and just more, well M car feel about everything. After lots of experimentation and adjustment I was very happy with the chassis, compliant but very taught and great weight to the steering with spacers as well. Going back to stock after living with KW V3, Dinan roll bars and 15mm spacers how did she feel ?

A great deal more vague and less feel, the turn in was 'dull' in comparison and the car felt more 'crashy' over bumps and road imperfections. The whole car felt much less planted and less 'classy' it felt cheaper, harsher and softer. I was surprised how good the V3's were. Were there any downsides from the V3's ? possibly I know you might miss the chance to choose comfort on a motorway run. But the car was a little more float and perhaps more compliant but didn't feel nicer at all on a higher speed run.

I think the M5 (even CP) for me is too well, big saloon with big engine kind car and needs to be a little more sports saloon, this was achieved with KW V3's with bigger roll bars. It was better not worse for everyday use and keeps taught and tight to the limit when pushing on around twisty roads.

I do sometimes worry that the M5 will turn into a 540i sport with a bigger engine aimed at people that want a 740IL with a little more sport, but no less comfort....
Appreciate 1
m5 guy1690.00
      12-02-2017, 05:13 PM   #2
Goranot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw m5

Thanks for very in-depth review...

Apart from adjustability do you think kw3 offer that much more than ACS springs
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2017, 01:50 AM   #3
carrera2RSL
Lieutenant
Rep

The damping with KW is in my view better than the BMW dampers, I think the electronics on the M5 dampers are dialled in to be as comfortable as possible before loading the suspension up in a corner, the transition between soft and firm is not as direct as having the shock already firmer. So in theory the small but very noticeable compromise when turning in and moving away from straight ahead does actually not result in a super smooth ride in my opinion. The standard M5 ride is very good as we know but having swapped out dampers this comes I suspect from a lot of other areas in the chassis other than just dampers. So I think the way the adjustable dampers are set are compromise with little comfort benefit over very good dampers with no electronic adjustment. Especially with CP springs or stiffer

Regarding KW vs just springs, the benefit was quite noticeable the car moved from slightly blunt and vague with a feeling to me of big car getting out of it's comfort zone at high speeds to one where the car was much easier to drive quickly around twisty roads and much more planted at speed. The feel of the damping was much better too, no comfort compromise either
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 01:19 PM   #4
fullhouse customs
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M5

appreciate the insights but what car replaced the M
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 04:09 PM   #5
carrera2RSL
Lieutenant
Rep

A 911 GTS with all the possible suspension options !

Sport PASM, PDCC, Diff torque vectoring plus etc.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2017, 05:40 PM   #6
Earthmaster
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 15' M4 Austin Yellow

Hot damn sexy gts
Appreciate 1
      05-29-2020, 09:45 PM   #7
escreation
Rep
Drives: M5

I have KW V3 + Dinan sway bar + Powerflex Front Upper Thrust Arm Inner Bushings installed, man....these upgrades transform M5. The car feels much "smaller." It is not as bonce as stock shock + KW Has, much much more "under control."

I had this car since new from 2013. I lowered with KW Has; the car still handles like shit...I was thinking of selling it and get a new car, but I'm not too fond of anything on the market included f90 m5, so I decided to give the last tried to modified M5 the way I think it's perfect.

Stock power & KW V3 +Dinan sway bar +Powerflex Front Upper Thrust Arm Inner Bushings make the perfect M5.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 07:22 AM   #8
vafan13
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sakhir Orange F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by escreation View Post
I have KW V3 + Dinan sway bar + Powerflex Front Upper Thrust Arm Inner Bushings installed, man....these upgrades transform M5. The car feels much "smaller." It is not as bonce as stock shock + KW Has, much much more "under control."

I had this car since new from 2013. I lowered with KW Has; the car still handles like shit...I was thinking of selling it and get a new car, but I'm not too fond of anything on the market included f90 m5, so I decided to give the last tried to modified M5 the way I think it's perfect.

Stock power & KW V3 +Dinan sway bar +Powerflex Front Upper Thrust Arm Inner Bushings make the perfect M5.
This is the setup I've been eyeing for a while, except with Turner monoballs instead of the powerflex bushings. The cost plus Covid precariousness has thus far held me off, but it's getting hard to resist.
Appreciate 0