Drives: iX M60

Garage List
2014 BMW  [0.00]
Hello from Germany

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hello All,
I'm in a bit of a personal pickle.
I have an opportunity to trade my 435ix (loaded with AC Schnitzer tune and Akrapovic exhaust) + $35k for a 2014 M5, also loaded (every box checked except heat sensing and ceramic) and with a Akrapovic Exhaust.
The dilemmas I have are the following: My car is pristine, the M5 has some scratches on the front bumper/rear bumper, and a wheel has road rash, the others rims have 'chalking' around the BMW emblems on the wheel. The driver seat looks a bit grungy (Car has 14k miles), but could probably be cleaned. It has been sitting for a year except for the occasional test drive. The engine valve covers and block look 'chalky' (covered in oxidized white powder--never seen this much oxidation). The test drive seemed fine, and I really like the car.
I'm in the southwestern part of Germany, and we do get a little snow, but it's hit or miss.
The 435ix on the other hand has really impressed me the two times we had snow, and everyone was stuck, yet I just plowed thru at 60mph. The gas mileage has also impressed me at around 24mpg at 390hp.
I wouldn't mind sacrificing to play, but I'm on the fence whether it's worth it.
I know....real first world problem
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2016, 11:01 AM   #2
apexlocator
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Is this with a dealer? Can you have an independent PPI done? It is worth the upgrade if things check out.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 12:53 PM   #3
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

My gut feel?

My gut reaction is that the M5 hasn't been well looked after. It sounds like whoever had it didn't take any pride in its ownership. Given that the visible signs aren't good, I would personally pass.

If I buy 2nd hand, I want immaculate and very well maintained.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 03:00 PM   #4
Jagu
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 750i Xdrive-Loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
My gut reaction is that the M5 hasn't been well looked after. It sounds like whoever had it didn't take any pride in its ownership. Given that the visible signs aren't good, I would personally pass.

If I buy 2nd hand, I want immaculate and very well maintained.
My thoughts too. My 2013 with 33k miles on it was in pristine condition everywhere , except for a couple of minor curb rashes.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 12:46 AM   #5
Fast400
Major
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW  [0.00]
Thanks for the responses. That's kinda what I'm thinking too. The dealership owner drove the car the new, then put it up for sale. He's at $79k outright, which doesn't strike me as a super steal of a deal, even if it's fully optioned.
All that being said...overall it's a badass car!! From a driving perspective it's awesome, even if it feels a bit heavier than my 435ix.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 02:22 PM   #6
BDWonder
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast400 View Post
Hello All,
I'm in a bit of a personal pickle.
I have an opportunity to trade my 435ix (loaded with AC Schnitzer tune and Akrapovic exhaust) + $35k for a 2014 M5, also loaded (every box checked except heat sensing and ceramic) and with a Akrapovic Exhaust.
The dilemmas I have are the following: My car is pristine, the M5 has some scratches on the front bumper/rear bumper, and a wheel has road rash, the others rims have 'chalking' around the BMW emblems on the wheel. The driver seat looks a bit grungy (Car has 14k miles), but could probably be cleaned. It has been sitting for a year except for the occasional test drive. The engine valve covers and block look 'chalky' (covered in oxidized white powder--never seen this much oxidation). The test drive seemed fine, and I really like the car.
I'm in the southwestern part of Germany, and we do get a little snow, but it's hit or miss.
The 435ix on the other hand has really impressed me the two times we had snow, and everyone was stuck, yet I just plowed thru at 60mph. The gas mileage has also impressed me at around 24mpg at 390hp.
I wouldn't mind sacrificing to play, but I'm on the fence whether it's worth it.
I know....real first world problem
DONT DO IT!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 06:54 PM   #7
MyF15+F85
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F85 and 2015 F15

your M5

I'm veerrryyyy picky when it comes to my cars as well.
If he has a lot of oxidation on the engine components that simply means lack of care, it could have been stored outside ( non garage )

Before I got my M5 I must have seen about 6 of them in different shape and mileages. The worst one that I have seen was the one owned by the BIG dealer, yes it was fully loaded with everything in it, but.....
What struck me most that interior scratches, seats with shiny worn leather, scratched up door handles, curb rush on all of the wheels, on and on and on.
Even though it had Acra, Dinan and loads of additional carbon fibre , it did not do it for me. Price is one thing but lack of LOVE for the machine really turns me off in a big way. I eventually found my prestine machine in alpine white, nothing on it not one chip, rims in perfect cond, not a blemish on the whole car, and the price after negotiations .... it was worth for ME .
I hope it helps in making the right decision
Cheers !
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 02:02 AM   #8
Fast400
Major
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFten View Post
I'm veerrryyyy picky when it comes to my cars as well.
If he has a lot of oxidation on the engine components that simply means lack of care, it could have been stored outside ( non garage )

Before I got my M5 I must have seen about 6 of them in different shape and mileages. The worst one that I have seen was the one owned by the BIG dealer, yes it was fully loaded with everything in it, but.....
What struck me most that interior scratches, seats with shiny worn leather, scratched up door handles, curb rush on all of the wheels, on and on and on.
Even though it had Acra, Dinan and loads of additional carbon fibre , it did not do it for me. Price is one thing but lack of LOVE for the machine really turns me off in a big way. I eventually found my prestine machine in alpine white, nothing on it not one chip, rims in perfect cond, not a blemish on the whole car, and the price after negotiations .... it was worth for ME .
I hope it helps in making the right decision
Cheers !
Thanks for the input! I think I'll pass on this one....just when I had the wife convinced too..
Appreciate 0