M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

09-05-2012, 06:13 AM   #1
Charlie Brown
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Azurite Black

Winter tires required for ED after Oct 15?

My ED date was changed from Oct 12 to Oct 25. My CA called yesterday and informed me that German law requires all vehicles have winter tires fitted after Oct 15. He also said that the Welt has a "partner" that will rent wheels and winter tires for ED and then refit your factory wheels and tires at the drop off point. This was all the information I was provided. Anyone else here know of such laws/requirements and how that impacts ED? Anyone experience this in prior years with ED (assuming some may have experienced fall/winter ED with other models)?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 07:08 AM   #2
TobiasMUC
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Coupe E92

Garage List
2009 BMW M3 E92  [10.00]
No that's wrong. There is no such law.
The choice of tires must be according to road conditions.
"Winter tires" are in winter conditions prescribed, so on icy, snowy roads, slush, ice or hoarfrost.
The Website is german. Bavarian police.
http://www.polizei.bayern.de/verkehr/index.html/25491

If you stay in Munich, you don't need winter tires. If you plan to drive in the apls i would recommend winter tires.

Hope that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
My ED date was changed from Oct 12 to Oct 25. My CA called yesterday and informed me that German law requires all vehicles have winter tires fitted after Oct 15. He also said that the Welt has a "partner" that will rent wheels and winter tires for ED and then refit your factory wheels and tires at the drop off point. This was all the information I was provided. Anyone else here know of such laws/requirements and how that impacts ED? Anyone experience this in prior years with ED (assuming some may have experienced fall/winter ED with other models)?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 09:54 AM   #3
chillin4now
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5M, 458 Spider

Quote:
From BMW USA website:

Germany passed a ruling that requires drivers to properly equip their vehicles according to inclement weather conditions. From October 15th until April 15th, driving conditions are dangerous due to ice or snow, cars must be equipped with All Season tires (also called 'M+S tires'). There might be street sections for which snow tires or even snow chains are declared mandatory. This often is the case for ski resorts and alpine passes. It is the responsibility of the car owner and driver to equip their vehicle appropriately for the prevailing weather conditions. If you do not appropriately equip your vehicle for the weather conditions that exist during your drive, obstruct traffic or get involved in an accident as a result thereof, it is possible you may be cited for a violation of the law by the local authorities or be found to be grossly negligent according to the law.Other countries you may visit including Austria and Switzerland may also have similar laws. If the Police find that you are not equipped with the appropriate items when the weather conditions deem them necessary, and if the officer feels that other traffic participants have been endangered, they have the authority to fine a driver 20 Euros or in some cases significantly higher.

Please carefully review the options, packages, wheels and standard equipment of the vehicle you ordered with your Client Advisor. Depending on the model and packages you selected, the wheels and tires may change. You should ensure you have the proper tires and wheel for the climate in which you plan to drive.

Customers have the option to leave their vehicle at BMW Welt for shipment to the U.S. if they prefer not to drive. There will be a fee of 60Euro cash (no credit cards accepted), payable to the BMW Welt, for transportation of the vehicle from the Welt to the Munich drop off location.

The following website outlines a snow tire rental option and includes pricing and details of booking the tire rental in Germany. Please be advised that all cars must come back to Munich to have your original BMW tires put back on the car before shipment to the U.S.
      09-05-2012, 10:11 AM   #4
dkreidel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: a lot of BMW's

Winter tires are available for rent in Munich and are a good idea depending on where you are going and luck of the draw on wx. The rental people are great and store your wheels/tires while you use their winter gear; their location is about half way between the Welt and the Munich airport. They're open M-F 9 to 4/5 but not on weekends. For an extra 50 or 70 euros they will deliver the winter tires to the Welt and your car can be delivered with the snows already installed.

The rental isn't cheap...I've done it twice for December ED's and "gone bare" a couple of other late fall/early spring ED's.

dk

Last edited by dkreidel; 09-05-2012 at 05:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 03:22 PM   #5
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
I did an October 17th ED last year and I wasn't required to buy winter tires. My car came with summer tires.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 03:55 PM   #6
mgallen
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 Azurite Black

Quote:
In our BMW European Delivery packet, there is information about the winter tire requirement effective October 15th through either March or April. The packet also provides information on where you can rent winter wheels while driving in Europe during this time period.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 05:45 PM   #7
nv6425
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7 Dark Shadow

I did ED last year from November 17th - November 21st and put over 1,500 miles on my M3 driving across Germany into Austria and the Czech Republic and didn't need winter tires. I had rented them and the process is quite simple, but I didn't see any snow at all, including the mountains near Vienna.
      09-05-2012, 06:00 PM   #8
m5huang
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1995 bmw 325is

" authority to fine a driver 20 Euros"

Maybe it's worth saving on tire rentals if the fine is only 20 Euros.
      09-05-2012, 06:59 PM   #9
Rad67
Rep
Drives: M5, 330Ci

This is the message I received from EDwinter when I tried to reserve tires for the M5 a little while back:

I am sorry but we do not stock any Winter tires for the M5.
In fact, and I'm not sure why, but we are told there are none to be bought
anywhere at the moment.

Regards
John
www.edwintertires.com

I have a contact looking into this at BMW NA, and if I get any information I'll post...
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 06:10 AM   #10
Charlie Brown
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Azurite Black

Thanks for the replies.. This forum is great to vet information like this. I'll be in Europe on business when I take ED so not a lot of time for touring. Right now my plan is to skip the winter tires and only drive the car in Munich.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 11:51 AM   #11
Rad67
Rep

This is the response from EDwinter as of 9/21:

Yes, I've been told that there are still no Winter tires freely available for the M5, so I cannot buy any at this time.

It may change as we get closer to November.

Regards
John
www.edwintertires.com

No additional information available yet from BMW NA, so I guess I'll just have to re-route, but only had a couple of days exposure anyway.

2013 BMW M5//Imperial Blue Metallic/Silverstone II/Anthracite
ED -- Oct 27
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 04:49 PM   #12
m5huang
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1995 bmw 325is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad67 View Post
This is the response from EDwinter as of 9/21:

Yes, I've been told that there are still no Winter tires freely available for the M5, so I cannot buy any at this time.

It may change as we get closer to November.

Regards
John
www.edwintertires.com

No additional information available yet from BMW NA, so I guess I'll just have to re-route, but only had a couple of days exposure anyway.
Are you planning to do any of the passes? I'm going to risk it with my factory tires and try for the Stelvio pass. Since I am doing a drop off in Zurich, there's no way I can rent winter tires.
      09-28-2012, 05:46 AM   #13
Rad67
Rep

Good news for those needing winter tires, as of today:

I am pleased to inform you that we will have a set of wheels & Winter tires for BMW M5's in stock as of mid-October.

If you wish to proceed with a rental, please complete the reservation form on www.edwintertires.com

Regards
John Lance
www.edwintertires.com

ED -- Oct 27
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 05:50 AM   #14
Rad67
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5huang View Post
Are you planning to do any of the passes? I'm going to risk it with my factory tires and try for the Stelvio pass. Since I am doing a drop off in Zurich, there's no way I can rent winter tires.
Hadn't planned on entering Italy, but the Stelvio Pass looks to be an awesome drive! That and the drive through Switzerland is very scenic as well. Enjoy

ED -- Oct 27
Appreciate 0