Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

01-02-2013, 08:41 PM   #23
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
BTW I predict the 2014 will not have adjustable side bolsters either. I have seen no evidence BMW is pursuing this, and if they do, many of us will be eligible for a retro fit since our order documentation said we would have 20 way seats.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 12:27 AM   #24
eNCore
///M 5light
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 MCB ///M5

Anyone know if it's possible to retrofit the LED headlights onto models that didn't come with it? Most say yes, but some say the housing might be different?

11 - 12 MW E92 ///M3 ZCP

08 - 11 E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 01:52 AM   #25
visualguy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5

Hopefully the 2014 model will not have a clunking rear suspension.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 06:59 AM   #26
singularity
Driver
Rep
Drives: M5 (F10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
BTW I predict the 2014 will not have adjustable side bolsters either. I have seen no evidence BMW is pursuing this, and if they do, many of us will be eligible for a retro fit since our order documentation said we would have 20 way seats.
I think you Americans are taking 'adjustable side bolsters' (or lack of them) a tad bit too serious? Sounds as if you guys are all so thin that keep rolling from one side to another during turns?

It's nowhere that useful unless you're on a track and in no way that comfortable to be talking about it 24/7. I have them and never use them, they're not tall enough to prevent body roll. There are so many more important and realistic concerns for this car's engineering, I wonder if Germans laugh at this becoming a #1 complaint.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 07:12 AM   #27
avi8tir
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by singularity View Post
I think you Americans are taking 'adjustable side bolsters' (or lack of them) a tad bit too serious? Sounds as if you guys are all so thin that keep rolling from one side to another during turns?

It's nowhere that useful unless you're on a track and in no way that comfortable to be talking about it 24/7. I have them and never use them, they're not tall enough to prevent body roll. There are so many more important and realistic concerns for this car's engineering, I wonder if Germans laugh at this becoming a #1 complaint.
I Agree.... I think its funny so many people are upset about not having them.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 10:37 AM   #28
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mperial View Post
I think the LED headlights are a fad and they detract from the overall appearance of the front fascia.
I think that this is another growing misconception. I'm guessing that the fad that you're referring to is the growing use of LED daytime running lights, not LED headlights.

LED DRLs have essentially been mandated by new European regulations and so, are showing up everywhere. I think that they have become a bit of a styling fashion as well since they are on several American cars that are not sold in Europe. btw, almost all of BMW's angel eye DRLs are now LED.

LED headlights use the same technology for the main beams. They're only offered on a handful (but growing) number of models. I think that they look cool especially on cars like the A6 and A7, but I don't think that they're the quantum leap in technology that xenons were as compared to halogen. And from what I've read, LEDs will be a short-lived "latest thing" with laser headlights on the horizon.

Last edited by hinckley; 01-03-2013 at 10:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 03:52 PM   #29
Mperial
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3, 2017 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinckley View Post
I'm guessing that the fad that you're referring to is the growing use of LED daytime running lights, not LED headlights.
I should've been clearer in my post. You guessed correctly. LED headlights aren't a trend as you point out, LED DRLs are and I prefer the halos.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 03:54 PM   #30
Mperial
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi8tir View Post
I disagree about the headlights. I have them on my X5M and they are awesome. Its the next evolution of headlight technology. It's not worth waiting for just to get them on the LCI, but I'll be looking forward to getting another M5 in a couple of years that has them... they look great and the light is incredible.
That's why we're here - to share ideas and agree and disagree agreeably.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 03:55 PM   #31
avi8tir
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mperial View Post
I should've been clearer in my post. You guessed correctly. LED headlights aren't a trend as you point out, LED DRLs are and I prefer the halos.
The DRL's on the LED headlights are still halos.... they are just squared off a bit at the top and bottom. The look is much brighter and no loss of brightness as the current halos tend to do at certain angles.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 03:58 PM   #32
Mperial
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi8tir View Post
The DRL's on the LED headlights are still halos.... they are just squared off a bit at the top and bottom. The look is much brighter and no loss of brightness as the current halos tend to do at certain angles.
I'm sure you're correct re: the brightness. It's the squared off bit that appears cheesy to me. Perhaps I'll warm up to them by the time I trade in my car in three years. It certainly wouldn't preclude me from considering a 2015 F10.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 04:37 PM   #33
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Quote:

I'm not sure that I can concur with you Singularity. I am a pretty thin guy and I do slide around a bit when pushing it hard (that's what she said). I miss the days in my E60 M5 when I would push the start button and the side bolsters would automatically squeeze in on you. Then either setting the Active Side Bolster to Sport+ or putting them fully in during hard driving. It really made a difference in the character of the M5.

Maybe you would feel different, if in your country the F10 M5 did not come with the comfort access system at all, a feature that was in the previous E60 M5, and something that you expected BMW to obviously incorporate in the car because almost all other BMW models have it, yet not your M5, which is supposed to be BMW's highest performance model.

For us American's it's like 50% a matter of principle, and 25% a matter of lack of driving experience, and 25% a matter of lack of convenience. I don't like sliding around in my seat during corning, it makes a big difference to be locked into your seat by your waist.

Besides, us American's are all too spoiled. I mean look at what happened with the 2007 M5, BMW introduced a 6spd manual because American's bitched and complained so much. Haha!

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 05:43 PM   #34
singularity
Driver
Rep
Drives: M5 (F10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
I'm not sure that I can concur with you Singularity. I am a pretty thin guy and I do slide around a bit when pushing it hard (that's what she said). I miss the days in my E60 M5 when I would push the start button and the side bolsters would automatically squeeze in on you. Then either setting the Active Side Bolster to Sport+ or putting them fully in during hard driving. It really made a difference in the character of the M5.

Maybe you would feel different, if in your country the F10 M5 did not come with the comfort access system at all, a feature that was in the previous E60 M5, and something that you expected BMW to obviously incorporate in the car because almost all other BMW models have it, yet not your M5, which is supposed to be BMW's highest performance model.

For us American's it's like 50% a matter of principle, and 25% a matter of lack of driving experience, and 25% a matter of lack of convenience. I don't like sliding around in my seat during corning, it makes a big difference to be locked into your seat by your waist.

Besides, us American's are all too spoiled. I mean look at what happened with the 2007 M5, BMW introduced a 6spd manual because American's bitched and complained so much. Haha!
My car already doesn't have quite a lot of things which BMW released only a few months after the first release one good example is the lack of Active Security Package (seat belts tightening before collision), iDrive update, Tire Pressure Monitor system (US version is more advanced) and many other comfort and individualization options which weren't available at start.

I actually found E60's active side bolsters to be distracting and never used E63 or F10's. I can't understand how people feel bothered by not having it. For 1 month after US delivery everyone was quiet, but as soon as someone asked about it - the topic filled with so many pages. I think the topic about missing side bolsters is actually the most replied one too

IMO better use your power to complain about clunk sound, weight, steering, lack of AWD those changes will make a bigger impact in improving this car in future, instead of adding 2 buttons and a pump inside a seat
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 06:19 PM   #35
smashhell
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

I hope they don't change the new 5 headlights majorly. Something like the one in 6 series is good.

Just don't copy from Mercedes, because I personally think the new E class headlights is VERY fugly.
      01-13-2013, 07:29 PM   #36
neurom
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5 on order

All I hear is the LCI will get some minor cosmetic updates. I am buying my in June likely prior to the update and plan to keep it 6-7 years until the next generation, so I am not worried about the depreciation. With facelifts and changes, I am not going to over think this and will enjoy my car.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 12:22 AM   #37
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

Updates on LCI

Has anyone heard anything that suggests possible updates and dates? I know that f10 non M is starting to ship LCI in August, but what about the M version?
Also curious if we can get more interior colors.
      02-19-2013, 10:36 AM   #38
primetime1
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-1 Pilot View Post
I looked into to buying this MY, and ultimately decided to wait for the LCI...

All of these are speculative.. some firmer than others, but are why i I will wait.

I plan to try to get a july production date for ED in September i guess?
I am also planning on doing ED for september or october, so you really think we will get the new M5 with the facelift?

Dealers dont seem to know anything which is so frustrating...
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 11:04 AM   #39
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
Speak of the devil. I finally got a chance to sit in the F13 M6 Coupe yesterday for the first time and played around with the adjustable side bolsters for a bit. I gotta say, they are pretty lame compared to the adjustable support we got on the E63 M6 and the E60 M5. I felt way less locked into my seat with the side bolsters all the way in on the M6 compared to my F10 M5.

I am feeling that even if BMW would have given us adjustable side bolsters on the F10 M5 seats, it would be kind of worthless given my experience on the M6 seat. Granted the M6 is a different design, and yeah over all I did not feel the same kind of bolster support that I do on the M5 seat.

I guess we'll have to wait for the next generation M5 to get our side bolster adjustable seats back. It'll also be interesting to see what ///M does with the next M3/M4 seats.

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 11:17 AM   #40
M54ccibo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 GT4

Quote:
My car already doesn't have quite a lot of things which BMW released only a few months after the first release one good example is the lack of Active Security Package (seat belts tightening before collision), iDrive update, Tire Pressure Monitor system (US version is more advanced) and many other comfort and individualization options which weren't available at start.

I actually found E60's active side bolsters to be distracting and never used E63 or F10's. I can't understand how people feel bothered by not having it. For 1 month after US delivery everyone was quiet, but as soon as someone asked about it - the topic filled with so many pages. I think the topic about missing side bolsters is actually the most replied one too

IMO better use your power to complain about clunk sound, weight, steering, lack of AWD those changes will make a bigger impact in improving this car in future, instead of adding 2 buttons and a pump inside a seat
I think that some confuse the active side bolsters with adjustable side bolsters. I did not have the active bolster on my E60, but drove a car with them at m-school...turned it off right away. However, the adjustable bolsters, are a almost a necessity.

I am a fairly thin guy too and liked to be locked into my seat at the torso. IMO not having the ability to adjust the bolsters is a huge setback in proper seating position especially when driving aggressively.

Would I have bought the car if it was advertised with 18-way seats vs. 20? Yes. Am I a little bitter about advertising for 20-way seats and receiving 18-way? You bet...100% on functionality. But since there is little we can do, life must go on!
'10 E60 M5, Space Gray/Black
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 12:10 PM   #41
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M54ccibo View Post
I am a fairly thin guy too and liked to be locked into my seat at the torso. IMO not having the ability to adjust the bolsters is a huge setback in proper seating position especially when driving aggressively.
In the spirit of problem solving, I suggest trying 2 things:
1) Eating a lot more burgers
2) Buying a fat suit

I agree about being annoyed on the misleading advertising, but like Dave I prefer the M5 seats with non adjustable bolsters than the M6 seats with adjustable bolsters.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 02:44 PM   #42
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 w/CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetime1 View Post
I am also planning on doing ED for september or october, so you really think we will get the new M5 with the facelift?

Dealers dont seem to know anything which is so frustrating...
My best knowledge to date is that we can expect an announcement on LCI specifics for the F10s in May. Based on that information, the first production incorporating these changes (MY14) will be available for ED pickup in Aug/Sept.

There is zero guarantee that this F10 LCI will include the M5 -- though I hope it does. Regardless, I am buying a MY14, unless some amazing reduced price opportunity puts me into a MY13.
      02-19-2013, 02:48 PM   #43
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 991.1 911 GTS, '16 F85 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-1 Pilot View Post
There is zero guarantee that this F10 LCI will include the M5 -- though I hope it does. .
I hope it doesnt!
      02-19-2013, 03:09 PM   #44
dbae1978
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsureyet View Post
Hi folks,
P.S. Just to stoke the fire, the new E-class comes out in the middle of next year as well, so if I were to wait until September/October, why not just get a new E63 AMG at the start of its life-cycle?
The E63 AMG is actually a LCI facelift. If you really look at it the only thing that they have changed are the front bumper, headlights and hood. Everything else is identical. The W211 was released in 2010 so a new model in 2014 would be too soon. By facelifting the model in 2014 it would extend the life of the vehicle for a few more years.

Personally I would just get the current M5. If you haven't test driven one yet, do it now! you'll fall in absolute love with the DCT! You will be able to get a better price on the current model anyways. When the new LCI comes out most likely there will be a dealer markup on it.
Appreciate 0