Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 06:33 PM   #25
rtm5
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5 Orthodox View Post
Ok, you guys twisted my arm...here are some photos of my trip black M5, post-tint (35%). Enjoy.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/87425042@N04/
So, for starters I think your car looks great, well done.

With mine (sorry it's only an 08) I tried to get the best of both/all worlds - I'm a huge fan of the factory rims, so I wasn't about to change them but I wasn't a huge fan of how the car looked with the factory silver - with this body style it just looked too much like a regular 5 series. Obviously car enthusiasts would notice it was an M5, but nothing really stood out that would make an average joe look twice.

Here's what I went with :
Sapphire Black
Factory rims, coated in Hyper Black - Red calipers
11% tint
Chrome ActiveAutowerke exhaust

The goal was to keep it from being completely murdered out, and to make it catch an eye and still look as classy as possible, not sure if I succeeded or not but I've been happy with it so far.

For me, keeping the little bit of chrome from the factory really highlights the sapphire black. Going with hyper black on the rims meant needing something to match the M logo, as well as draw attention to the tail lights to keep it from that "completely blacked out" look, hence the red calipers.

What really sold me on doing the rims is the compare shot below, I didn't like the "why did this guy bring a sedan on the driving tour?" look.

Anyways, just my .02 - again, GREAT looking car you've got, i'm jealous.

couple pics (sorry, camera phone so not the best quality but you get the idea)

here's a before/after shot...

side shot...

comparison...

Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 07:40 PM   #26
Mike_305
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335I

the E60 still looks great as well. I'm waiting for the F10 to come down on the price before I pull the trigger on one.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 10:20 AM   #27
ImpetuousRacer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Tesla Model X P100D

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
This was the exact post I was looking for. I was on the fence about the side grills on the sapphire black. Planning to keep stock wheels or still do a silver/polished wheel, and was wondering if it was better to have that chrome side grill to match up with that. The gloss black makes sense.

My question. When ordering the car, I was planning to do the BMW Individual Black front grills. Any reason not to do that, and do IND? I figured OEM BMW is better option?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 03:58 AM   #28
skrambles297
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5 (Black Sapphire) F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5
M5 Orthodox,

Thank you for posting these pictures. It really helps me to design my personal look for my Triple Black as well.

I personally am going to go with about a 17% tint all around, and after looking at your pictures I think that I am going to do the gloss black front grills like you have and the painted reflectors. I think with those two things it really makes the M5 look clean up front.

As for the side grills, here is where I am still on the fence. To be honest with everyone, at first I hated the chrome grills (Rant coming). I really did hate them. But then they grew on me on the Monte Carlo Blue. I don't think that they look bad on the Monte Carlo Blue, but I don't think they look great either. I think blacking out the side grills on every other color, including the Monte Carlo Blue looks fantastic.

But, for Sapphire Black Metallic, I'm just not sure still. I'm pretty sure that I want to tint the side grill signal light to a dark tint, but I kind of think that the chrome on the side grills for the Sapphire Black Metallic exterior color gives the same effect as the blackened out side grill on any other color, it provides contrast.

I dunno, I'm still having difficulty with this. Thank goodness I have another month to decide before my M5 gets back stateside from Euro Delivery. I was even thinking about doing something different like, blacking out the chrome on the side grill and then doing the inside mesh in maybe a dark grey color or something, just to provide a little contrast there.

Can any one provide any thoughts or opinions. I'm really having a tough time deciding! Thanks guys!
I agree that the chrome on the side gives good contrast on the Black Sapphire.

I love the contrast on my black sapphire: chrome pipes on the back, chrome side grills and the magnificent 20" alloys on the side.

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 01:32 PM   #29
crazy08
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
In my opinion, the chrome on the front and side grills has no place with a Black Sapphire M5. True, it adds contrast, but it does so at the expense of cheapening the overall look of the car. Almost like someone with poor taste went through and added chrome just to make the car more flashy.
+1 Looks like to me like someone tried to make it flashy and failed. Plus many other manufacturers are now adding those same chrome side vents. I, for one, don't like to be flashy with my car and prefer the subdued look. Side vents would be one of the first things I would replace. First trunk badge delete, second blacked out side vents. my 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 06:14 PM   #30
JimmyD
Jimmy D. 2011 F-10 550i Sport, Black Sapphire
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 F-10 550i

Garage List
2011 BMW 550i  [0.00]
Quote:
35%
Hey do you have blind spot assist, can you see those triangle warning lights with the 35% tint, that was my only concern because those lights have saved me many times.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 10:02 PM   #31
M5 Orthodox
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyD View Post
Hey do you have blind spot assist, can you see those triangle warning lights with the 35% tint, that was my only concern because those lights have saved me many times.
Yeah, you can see the triangles just fine with 35%.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 10:04 PM   #32
JimmyD
Jimmy D. 2011 F-10 550i Sport, Black Sapphire
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 F-10 550i

Garage List
2011 BMW 550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Yeah, you can see the triangles just fine with 35%.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 07:39 PM   #33
TheBlackGT
Like No Other.
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F07 LCI

You must black out the wheels. Otherwise it doesn't feel... finished. Just my 2 cents though...
Appreciate 0