BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

05-01-2018, 05:25 PM   #1
mastatikle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

Key fob no longer starts car

For the past few months, maybe more, my comfort access worked randomly. Some days I can walk up to car and open door without removing key from pocket. Most other days I have to use fob and unlock with button. I just got used to it.

Well today for the first time the car wouldn’t start with the key fob. Screen on dash said “no key recognized” then “hold key to colum” that didn’t work after numerous times, eventually it read it and started. I’m assuming the key fob has gone bad. I don’t believe it’s the antenna because I can still lock and unlock the car from a distance. I’ve just lost certain functions. I’m going to just go and order another key tomorrow. Lost the spare, just wanted to see if anyone has had similar key fob issues before.

This is on a 14 M6 Gran coupe
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2018, 08:29 PM   #2
TLK
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP, '12 550i, '04 545i

You just need to replace the battery inside the fob. Take out the key and pull the back cover off and you'll see the coin-type battery you can get at most stores that sell coin/hearing-aid batteries.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 05:40 AM   #3
mastatikle
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLK View Post
You just need to replace the battery inside the fob. Take out the key and pull the back cover off and you'll see the coin-type battery you can get at most stores that sell coin/hearing-aid batteries.
I've tried that roughly 4-5 different times. Assuming key is bad because every time I do that the car unlocks and locks it self while driving with a fresh battery.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 09:57 AM   #4
TLK
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP, '12 550i, '04 545i

Maybe. It could also be a bad comfort-access door handle sending lock/unlock messages. Without another fob to test with, this has to be diagnosed with ISTA+, which can show the lock/unlock requests from the door handles.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 09:51 PM   #5
mastatikle
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLK View Post
Maybe. It could also be a bad comfort-access door handle sending lock/unlock messages. Without another fob to test with, this has to be diagnosed with ISTA+, which can show the lock/unlock requests from the door handles.
Yeah I figured I needed another fob anyway so this will hopefully fix it. If not onto the antennas and door handles.
Appreciate 0