Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

01-29-2014, 10:25 PM   #1
spmd11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Is the M5 too Powerful?

Ok, so when my lease ends on my e93 M car, I'm targeting either an M5 or the new M3.

I'm wondering, is the M5 too powerful to be fun and stay within legal driving limits? The e90/92/93 M is really an entertaining car, because you can wind it up to some degree and enjoy its abilities without going to jail.

I really like the M5 and the luxury that it offers, but with nearly 600hp I'm afraid that you can't enjoy the car without being illegal 90% of your fun drives?

The 550 is too soft for me to consider that car. 535 not enough power.
New M3 not enough luxury for what I desire, going forward, I think.
      01-29-2014, 10:42 PM   #2
alexey21
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Turbo

well, the engine defiantly out performs the chassis. But I personally find it hard to stay within "limits" and have fun. Problem is, you constantly think your going 60, 70 look down to see going 120+.

Thats why to me, the M5 is a weekend car. Nice warm days when I can really open her up. Other than that, its just to much for everyday for me. My 0.02 cents
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 10:49 PM   #3
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

No, it's not. Plenty other cars have more power and less weight.
It's all about the driver's skill.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 11:18 PM   #4
ShainoF10M5
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M8 GC

Is the F10 M5 too much fun? Yes, it certainly is.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 12:15 AM   #5
wisesoul
Savoir Faire
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Coming from an E93 M3, the M5 will certainly be miles faster. Get used to cruising 90-100 without blinking an eye. The limiting factor on these cars is the traction at the back. 295s aren't enough for 500+ ft lbs of torque. But overtaking 5-6 cars at a time never gets old. M5 is still fun on the back roads and when driving at reasonable speeds, but the most fun that can be had in this car is at illegal speeds unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 12:53 AM   #6
wzj519
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 COMP PKG

650 gc will be your choice
Ultimate luxury + best steering feel among regular 3.5.6.7
And awd
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 02:51 AM   #7
MichaelJohn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8, Kia EV6 GT

On the face of it, your question might seem silly - we all want more power, right? However, going from an E92 M3 to an F10 M5 the question is relevant. More power makes for a different driving experience. I pushed my M3 hard much more often than I do my M5. For me, the maximum power level of the M3 was fairly manageable. Of course you can't drive like an idiot, but I was often near the limit of the car. You can push the M5 hard, and I do, but the speed builds so quickly that I find myself thinking twice before giving it full gas. In the M3 I would just mash it without much reservation. I now drive with much respect and a little fear of the M5's power. It is a seriously fast car. I sometimes think that I did enjoy the M3 more than the M5, or at least I was able to wring it out more often. However when I ask myself if I would still rather have my M3, the answer is...hell no!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 09:01 AM   #8
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP Dinan Stage 2

Garage List
No needs less wt and more power!
      01-30-2014, 09:07 AM   #9
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Yes it is too powerful. However, it's comfort/soft side is really nice. It's just that going even half-throttle acceleration will put you at about 90mph without even realizing it. The F10 M5 is simply too fast for the public streets. I find the F10 M5 really tough to just do the speed limit in on a daily basis. There's just too much power. Some things that make up for the inability to travel down the road too fast because of fear of the law, are some of the luxury appointments of the F10 M5, like the Bang & Olufsen sound system, the Full Merino Leather Option, and the butt massagers of the Executive Package. You don't have to be driving fast to enjoy these aspects of the car, which is something that you can't experience in the either the E9x M3 or the new F8x M3/M4.

However! The M3 in my opinion is much more fun car for the streets and for the track for that matter. Revving out the engine to over 8,000rpm to only 60mph on the streets can be more fun than the blistering yet disconnected speed and 500+ft/lbs of torque that you get in the F10 M5. In the M5 it's almost so fast that it's over before you know it and you look at the speed in the HUD and you are doing 110mph. In my opinion the E9x M3 is a more visceral experience of driving enjoyment. You really feel connected to the car and connected to road even if your only doing 55mph on a public roadway. BUT! During the times when you don't want that visceral experience, the F10 M5 out does the M3 in every way. The F10 M5 is really the gentlemans racecar, where as the E9x M3 is more of a purist/boy-racer experience. That's not a bad thing though, it just depends on what you really want. I think the same almost goes for the E60 M5. The F8x M3/M4 will be a different story though. You won't get as much visceral-ness from the car anymore without the high revving V8 and you won't get as much luxury as the F10 M5. It will be interesting to see how it is for sure.

Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 09:08 AM   #10
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by spmd11 View Post
Ok, so when my lease ends on my e93 M car, I'm targeting either an M5 or the new M3.

I'm wondering, is the M5 too powerful to be fun and stay within legal driving limits? The e90/92/93 M is really an entertaining car, because you can wind it up to some degree and enjoy its abilities without going to jail.

I really like the M5 and the luxury that it offers, but with nearly 600hp I'm afraid that you can't enjoy the car without being illegal 90% of your fun drives?

The 550 is too soft for me to consider that car. 535 not enough power.
New M3 not enough luxury for what I desire, going forward, I think.
YES it is to powerful for road use IMO, I can never stretch it's legs in third never mind the other gears, it's just mental quick.
      01-30-2014, 09:42 AM   #11
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 X7 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
Lots of interesting replies on this one. And, what some people might view as a silly question, is actually a very good point.

I had an '03 M3. it was an absolute blast. Winding the engine out was easy to do, safely, on the streets. Plus, on the track it was pure joy. I probably did around 5,000 track miles on that car when I had it. Never once did I question if it was too much power.

From that I moved into a Lexus, briefly, and then into a '11 M3 sedan. The increased power was significant over the E46. My friend, who also had one, and I would constantly discuss that we missed the pure feel from the E46 and that maybe the E9X had too much power. It was way too easy to get into triple digits without thinking about it. I never took it to the track, but I did drive one of the Skip Barber M3s out at Laguna Seca and really enjoyed it.

Now, I've moved into the M5. I've only had it for a couple weeks and am still in the break in period, but this car is an absolute beast. As wisesoul said, traction is the absolute limitation of the car.

The M5 is the most comfortable BMW I have ever driven and it can be driven conservatively. On my drive to work, with coffee in hand, I leave the car in automatic mode and have no problem controlling the urge to lay down the power.

However, I have always used the same test to really judge the power of a car. The highway on ramp test. In the E46 M3, if I was really pushing it, I could be 70+ at the top of the ramp. In the E90 M3, at the top of the ramp I would be 90+. In the M5, while still under 5,500 rpm due to break in procedure, I am easily able to get over 110.

So, yes, this car has way too much power. There really aren't a lot of places to take it out and stretch it's legs. Plus, it is a heavy sedan, so it really isn't designed for track use either.

In my opinion, as a former high performance driving instructor, I really do think that anyone who gets the M5 really should spend some time at a driving school. It's a shame that BMW doesn't provide the program with purchase like they did with the E39. I've seen too many people show up at the track with high horsepower cars that have absolutely no idea how to handle the car.

When I was looking for a replacement for the E90 M3 I really wanted something with more luxury, without giving up the power. I felt the M3 was just too firm for everyday driving (and I tended to drive it a bit more aggressively too). Maybe I'm just an old soul (because I'm 38 and clearly not old), but I really enjoy the creature comforts of the M5 and couldn't be happier with the decision.

When it comes to the end of the day, you're going to have to make the decision on your own. I'd suggest spending some time in an M5 if possible. Definitely test drive it and maybe find some local owners to talk with who might also take you for an extended ride.

'25 M5 Touring (on the list, first slot)
'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 09:43 AM   #12
spmd11
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Yes it is too powerful. However, it's comfort/soft side is really nice. It's just that going even half-throttle acceleration will put you at about 90mph without even realizing it. The F10 M5 is simply too fast for the public streets. I find the F10 M5 really tough to just do the speed limit in on a daily basis. There's just too much power. Some things that make up for the inability to travel down the road too fast because of fear of the law, are some of the luxury appointments of the F10 M5, like the Bang & Olufsen sound system, the Full Merino Leather Option, and the butt massagers of the Executive Package. You don't have to be driving fast to enjoy these aspects of the car, which is something that you can't experience in the either the E9x M3 or the new F8x M3/M4.

However! The M3 in my opinion is much more fun car for the streets and for the track for that matter. Revving out the engine to over 8,000rpm to only 60mph on the streets can be more fun than the blistering yet disconnected speed and 500+ft/lbs of torque that you get in the F10 M5. In the M5 it's almost so fast that it's over before you know it and you look at the speed in the HUD and you are doing 110mph. In my opinion the E9x M3 is a more visceral experience of driving enjoyment. You really feel connected to the car and connected to road even if your only doing 55mph on a public roadway. BUT! During the times when you don't want that visceral experience, the F10 M5 out does the M3 in every way. The F10 M5 is really the gentlemans racecar, where as the E9x M3 is more of a purist/boy-racer experience. That's not a bad thing though, it just depends on what you really want. I think the same almost goes for the E60 M5. The F8x M3/M4 will be a different story though. You won't get as much visceral-ness from the car anymore without the high revving V8 and you won't get as much luxury as the F10 M5. It will be interesting to see how it is for sure.
Excellent feedback.. thank you. The new M3/4 will be interesting indeed, but certainly no 5er in terms of luxury.
      01-30-2014, 10:19 AM   #13
spmd11
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

The decision is a dilemma.. cause now that we have 2 M cars, we are forever spoiled by Mness.. the transmission, the LSD, the steering feel, etc, etc..

We are keeping the e90 M long term just to keep one of that model and it is a 6 speed.

Our X5 is also a long term vehicle, and soon to be paid off.. it will fill the role required for all wheel drive and utility.

The e93 we will move on cause we like new technology and advancement.

I would get a 550, but it has no LSD.

The M5 is expensive and you are paying a lot for that motor, etc.. which can't be fully used in the USA.

Ugh..
      01-30-2014, 10:44 AM   #14
secretariat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

RPIM5, if I'm correct you also owned a E60 M5. Going from the E60 to the F10 will prob. be the same as going from e90 m3 to the f80 m3. Except the F80 has less weight, though it does have the HK stereo, full merino leather, don't know about butt messagers. What I'm hearing from alot of F10 M5 owners is that it's too powerful to truly enjoy. I don't think that will be true for the F80 M3. I believe the F80 M3 will be a blast!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 10:55 AM   #15
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretariat View Post
RPIM5, if I'm correct you also owned a E60 M5. Going from the E60 to the F10 will prob. be the same as going from e90 m3 to the f80 m3. Except the F80 has less weight, though it does have the HK stereo, full merino leather, don't know about butt messagers. What I'm hearing from alot of F10 M5 owners is that it's too powerful to truly enjoy. I don't think that will be true for the F80 M3. I believe the F80 M3 will be a blast!!!
Yes indeed, I have high hopes for the F80 M3 also. I think it will be a fine middle ground between the non-luxurious E9x M3 and the ultra-luxurious F10 M5. The HK sound system, the Full Leather, Heads Up Display, Heated Steering Wheel, and Heated Back Seats, will help during those times when you can't mash on the gas pedal all the time in the F8x M3/M4 and will make it much more desirable than the old E9x M3 in that regard. Also, I think the S55 engine will be a fine middle ground between the high revving visceral induction symphony of the S65 engine and the muted and soft sounding S63tu engine. The S55 won't sound as good in the cabin as the S65 but will definitely have more induction sound and visceral experience than the S63tu. So yes the F8X M3 will be a promising and interesting car to enjoy while mashing the gas pedal and also while not doing so. I'm pretty sure that with the Active ///M Differential and the amount of low end torque provided by the S55, you will get fine sense of acceleration in the new M3/M4, it just won't be a blistering fast as the M5/M6 but it may feel pretty close to it.

Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 11:56 AM   #16
6spdterror
Route Runner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 ///M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:

I couldnt have said it better myself. I drive my manual trans TL AWD to the limit most of the time and i look down and im doing 80mph, on the flip side i drive my M5 not even pushing it just driving back from the gym, and my HUD says 110mph!! The car is so comfortable and sneaky fast that you dont even know youre doing those speeds. One of the reasons y im looking at the RPI resonated GTM! I was at that supercar run a couple of weeks ago and i outran a Gallardo on the highway but his car drowned mine out!
All in all i love it and i think it has way more power than it needs and it still scares me to this day but like you said, its a gentlemans racecar. I wear a suit everyday to work and i would hate to drive a boyracer car everyday, the M5 is docile when you need to fly under the radar but will run with supercars if need be.
04 Honda Pilot (everyday car)
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 12:08 PM   #17
GoodandEvil
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 MCB

Over 500hp for daily drive has never been a problem for me, after all M5 is still a luxury executive sedan. The thing is you simply have very few opportunities to enjoy the full power of this machine. The fun of driving a GT86 is that you can easily out perform the car, either give it a full throttle or drift it in a parking lot, you are confident that you have the control over the car. M5 is a wild horse, it will harm you and others on the road if you turn off all safety functions and drive like a gorilla.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 12:42 PM   #18
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8, f10m59(Rip), m4, GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexey21 View Post
well, the engine defiantly out performs the chassis. But I personally find it hard to stay within "limits" and have fun. Problem is, you constantly think your going 60, 70 look down to see going 120+.

Thats why to me, the M5 is a weekend car. Nice warm days when I can really open her up. Other than that, its just to much for everyday for me. My 0.02 cents
I hit 155 daily so yeah its a little hard. But its far from too powerful[depending on you who are ]... And while you feel the weight of the car trying to take turns 80+ the engineering is flawless when you take into account the weight and speed at which you can attack turns... I can easily take turns I'd do 100+ on with the e92 m3 within 10mph in the m5.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 01:22 PM   #19
N.S.A
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 Blue Sapphire Metallic

If you want to stay within legal limits and have a fast car. then you should not even think of getting of. You can have fun of a car when its legal. you can floor it quick and get a ticket in an m3 and m5 either way. So when you say stay legal and have fun I do not get your question because just push it hard and stay within speed limit. there is a ticket violation for dangerous and unnecessary acceleration so just letting you know.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 01:26 PM   #20
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.S.A View Post
If you want to stay within legal limits and have a fast car. then you should not even think of getting of. You can have fun of a car when its legal. you can floor it quick and get a ticket in an m3 and m5 either way. So when you say stay legal and have fun I do not get your question because just push it hard and stay within speed limit. there is a ticket violation for dangerous and unnecessary acceleration so just letting you know.
Yup in California they have a check box that says "exhibition of speed" and can give you a violation even if you are only doing 5mph. That's why if you are going to play around always make sure and check your surroundings first. Situational Awareness has saved me many many times, and I'm still able to do WOT pulls all the time.

Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 01:39 PM   #21
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 X7 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
Quote:
Yup in California they have a check box that says "exhibition of speed" and can give you a violation even if you are only doing 5mph. That's why if you are going to play around always make sure and check your surroundings first. Situational Awareness has saved me many many times, and I'm still able to do WOT pulls all the time.
Here is AZ they can give you an "exhibition of speed" ticket if you rev your engine at a red light. I've never seen or heard of it actually happening, but they can legally ticket you for it.

'25 M5 Touring (on the list, first slot)
'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 05:07 PM   #22
M3PGH
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

the M5 is deceptively fast, but it does not mean that you can't enjoy it. I have had multiple 500 plus HP cars over several years and not a single speeding ticket. Merging into highway in 3rd gear is a blast. Having said that 90 % of the time you don't need all the power . also how fast you are going and do you feel it are 2 different things. Smaller cars feel faster than bigger cars for the same speed. Also cars with NA engines with low torque and small displacement , you are able to judge speed by engine noise as compared to turbo charged engines with a lot of low end torque like the M5 etc. The new M3 is going to have much more torque as compared to E90 generation, so taking it's wt into consideration, it might get you in as much trouble as the M5 as I bet it will bit fast and nimble. it is all about the driver and how do you adjust to a certain car.
Appreciate 0