BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

03-10-2012, 08:34 PM   #1
singularity
Driver
Rep
Drives: M5 (F10)

My spirited driving review

Got my car back from dealership after 2000 km (break-in) maintenance. Engine oil was changed so was the rear differential fluid. Also BMW service said that their computer tells to change transmission oil at 2000 km for manual gearboxes, in my case it's DCT and there was no need for it.

Part 1 - sharing experience from spirited city driving
Temperature: -1 C
Weather: Dry
Tires: Summer, Michelin Pilot Super Sport (front-left had some a puncture at 900 km and the hole was repaired at BMW service with a recommendation to change the tyre in near future, costs $1200 for one tyre)
Petrol: EU 95 (Rompetrol)
M2: DSC: MDM | Dynamics: Sport Plus | Dampers: Sport Plus | Steering: Sport Plus
Experience: 4 years of spirited driving of M5 (E60) and M6 (E63)

Sound
After around 5500 RPM the sound changes to even more enjoyable, this time I started hearing the Active Sound because it was too clear for my ear and louder. The sound from outside was also much louder as revolutions increased, I think this is when all 4 quad-pipes are open.

Acceleration:
This car's low-end torque really matters in spirited street driving, unlike S85 (E60/E63) you don't have to lose precious milliseconds to think of downshifting in a situation where a competitor car is trying to take you over in a friendly competitive race. It's not as important here, you can get away with a mistake of not downshifting for optimal acceleration because it still pulls hard.

From 0-50 km/h it's too powerful to be of any use, especially with the RWD. If you floor the pedal in DSC: ON it accelerates very slowly and you see a constantly blinking DSC interference in the dashboard. If you floor the pedal in DSC:OFF it just spins the wheels and loses grip. In MDM: it's still unsatisfactory and accelerates with almost no difference because whells spin, and when they don't DSC interferes thinking they will spin - whatever room you get in between is your acceleration which is something like of Honda Accord 2.4.

From 50 -150 km/h this car is very fast, it's an airplane take-off feeling, it overwhelms you and the sound from exhaust, turbo spools and active sound compliments the surge of power that keeps rising until you have to break due to whatever condition. In rural areas it pulls more than you would ever need. It pulls and continues pulling so hard that your brain is challenged to make a very quick planning and decision making about traffic. The tighter traffic, the more you realize that it's way too powerful for a city.

From 150-287 km/h
At this time I was on a different road and the weather was -0.5 C, sleet (mixture of a bit of snow and rain was falling). The road was wet and my trails were becoming visible in the rear mirror. There was no wind. On M6 I had driven 312 km/h (dashboard) with a SuperSprint exhaust and ECU remap by Evolve for reference about previous experience and comparison. On F10 I have M driver's package (limit raised from 250 km/h to 305 km/h). I was in M2 mode and floored the pedal with optimal shifting so I could reach maximum speed before there was any traffic on the empty road - the car struggled after 270, I felt it was being pushed from left and right as if there was strong wind, I felt the situation was far from safe so I slowed down remembering my repaired summer tire and road condition. Comparing to this test, I feel the M6 had an easier time accelerating, this is subjective and I have no statistics to back up my statement. I don't know if it was due to a little slippery road, freezing weather and summer tires or aerodynamics and lack of high-end engine power compared to S85. The car felt unsafe, uncomfortable and I don't plan on trying this at least until the weather is +10 C, road is dry and I replace the tire once I get my payday.

Race against M5 E61
I think I'm the first known owner to have finally had this chance. I was driving and waiting for some challenge and having successfully beaten and RS5 and 2012 Cayenne Turbo which challenged me for a friendly street race - suddenly I see those yellow angel eyes in darkness in my rear mirror. Seeing its maneuvers I had no doubt it's the M5 and knowing what kind of car it s and what kind of drivers buy it - I fastened my seat belt and was ready. I let go of gas pedal to slow down and let him come next to me - the next thing I heard was the beautiful howl of S85 (yes I said it), it was like a nostalgic feeling seeing that sound pass me like the hooligan M5 is. But, I was an M5 driver too so as soon as he passed me, I was on his tail. The driver was very aggressive and his maneuvering skills and risks taken were quite similar to those usually taken by M5 drivers (maybe it's the kind of people who buy it), you don't usually see such driving style in other cars for one or another reason. Wanna mention that I don't support this driving style due to safety regulations, its just that this is the impression I got from different types of drivers.

So M5 (E61) and M5 (F10) on his tail are giving a night town a symphony of exhaust sounds. While maneuvered in traffic I noticed one thing - "This guy will be very hard", we stopped at a traffic light and I told him that my DSC kept interfering because of summer tires and DSC: ON, he said he also had summer tires and that it was pointless taking off from a standstill. We rolled from about 40 km/h and the race still seemed uneasy and there was no definite "I'm better than him" assurance in me. We stopped at another traffic light and I told him to go on a straight road and do a roll-on, he agreed.
So we did, we rolled from 50 km/h and this time I was in M2 mode (MDM, the rest Sport Plus hardcore, until now I was in M1 mode which is my "meh, should be enough anyway"). I knew that rolling from 4000 RPM was to his advantage also. He started a little before me, and for the first 2-3 seconds we were nearly equal, then I noticed that I was gaining on him (I believe DCT was doing its excellent job at this point), from about 100 km/h I was clearly faster than him (about 15% I'd say) as I started passing him from an outer circle of a slight turn like ((. This was the only time I felt that I'm faster. Given my failed attempt to go to 305 km/h (managed only 287 due to conditions that I wrote about earlier) I don't know at all if F10 would be faster from 250 km/+.

We stopped and chatted a little with the driver, very enjoyable short chat and we went each a different way. I heard the nostalgic V10, and even though I can say that F10 is faster than E61, I don't know about 250 km/h + results and I know for sure that S85 is one hell of a 7 year old engine which put up a fight and once again reassured me that no matter what you drive, it's not a car to underestimate or to mess with. The message he reminded me again was clear, even if he loses, it will be a very tough race and any driver that lacks the skill or underestimates E60/E61 today might quite easily find themselves hearing the beauty of V10 in embarrassed.

Hope my review was insightful and touched some things which are usually not covered, but frequently wondered about.

Last edited by singularity; 03-11-2012 at 08:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2012, 09:28 PM   #2
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: A6 Allroad

Great report. Those tires will always let you down at -1 deg C. I look forward to another report at +15 deg C.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 12:01 AM   #3
BMW0412
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5

very good review
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 12:35 AM   #4
phish_100
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Azurite Black F10M M5

Excellent review. Interesting that you don't get any traction at all with any settings below 50mph. I haven't driven it hard yet, but i am starting to see what you mean with this.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 07:10 AM   #5
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
Good review by someone who has respect for other drivers and cars. We always think new is better but at times the old provides the thrills and spills the new fail at. That's why I miss my E46 M3 ... its was a true and raw drivers' car. I know I'm in a different playing field to you guys but had to chip in after a very good review.

Wishing you a safe and happy driving in your new beauty in which ever country you are in. Good luck.
      03-11-2012, 09:55 AM   #6
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

OP, your experience is very much skewed by the low temperature. Over here in Singapore, i drive the car in high 20 deg c (<30) ambient temperature with MDM mode and the car hooks up pretty well even in 1st gear. I am able to get monstrous acceleration rite up till around 7k rpm before DSC finally reins in a bit of the power unlike in full DSC on. With full DSC on, this car is pointless and good only for commuting, albeit very comfortably
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 10:24 AM   #7
singularity
Driver
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clar View Post
OP, your experience is very much skewed by the low temperature. Over here in Singapore, i drive the car in high 20 deg c (<30) ambient temperature with MDM mode and the car hooks up pretty well even in 1st gear. I am able to get monstrous acceleration rite up till around 7k rpm before DSC finally reins in a bit of the power unlike in full DSC on. With full DSC on, this car is pointless and good only for commuting, albeit very comfortably
I very much much hope so, that is one deciding performance factor
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 12:21 PM   #8
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: A6 Allroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by clar View Post
+1 well said. Cold weather just ruins summer high performance tires.

Things will get alot better.

Something to be said about the E60 M5 that makes power and torque more progressively.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 01:10 PM   #9
///M5Canuck
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i xDrive

Great review. I am sure if there were some Michelin Alpin PA3 tires on your M there would be a world of difference in the winter weather.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 01:20 PM   #10
phish_100
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Have you had a fault saying drivetrain power loss. Drive moderately. Something like that? I have just got that now.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 01:38 PM   #11
///M5Canuck
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by phish_100 View Post
Have you had a fault saying drivetrain power loss. Drive moderately. Something like that? I have just got that now.
He did and posted about it. It seems to be not uncommon:

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=655244
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 02:48 PM   #12
Bimmercrazy
Private
Rep
Drives: M5 F10, SG/Black

Quote:
Phish, please do let us know what your dealer says about this and what their diagnosis is?

Thanks.
      03-11-2012, 04:37 PM   #13
phish_100
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Sorry to hijack the thread, but BMW emergency are Colin tomorrow morning to reset the ECU I think so will see what they say. There is almost certainly no real issue with the engine, which is what it's reporting.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 05:32 PM   #14
Bimmercrazy
Private
Rep
Drives: M5 F10, SG/Black

Quote:
Sorry to hijack the thread, but BMW emergency are Colin tomorrow morning to reset the ECU I think so will see what they say. There is almost certainly no real issue with the engine, which is what it's reporting.
The very best of luck! Do create your own thread if you learn anything we should all know.

Back to this thread...really useful report, thanks. Like others have said the low temp I think is the main culprit. On an extended test drive, temp was 12 degrees, I hardly had any problems giving it a proper hard drive, now and then DSC flickered, mostly when cornering but hard acceleration in a striaght line was like a bullet train and traction control free.

Oh, and from my experience without doubt it is the "car of the year"! What BMW have achieved is simply mindblowing.
      03-14-2012, 02:04 AM   #15
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

awesome review!
s85 will always be in the top of my list of the best soundin bmw motors of all time imo.

FOLLOW @datbimmerdoe on INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 05:36 AM   #16
phish_100
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

@singularity you mentioned the 4 exhaust valves open at some point. do you know if this is dependent in any settings, ie, comfort, sport, sport plus?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 04:31 PM   #17
singularity
Driver
Rep

Quote:
@singularity you mentioned the 4 exhaust valves open at some point. do you know if this is dependent in any settings, ie, comfort, sport, sport plus?
I don't know that, but when revs are past 5500 the sound changes a lot.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 04:38 PM   #18
04S
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4 xDrive, X5 40i and U11 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by singularity View Post
Look forward to experimenting with this after break in
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 04:41 PM   #19
phish_100
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie F10M
Quote:
Originally Posted by singularity View Post
Look forward to experimenting with this after break in
My dealer told me break in was after only 600 miles, but the service is at 1200 miles - any idea if that's right? I was hoping that after 600 miles I would be able to start smashing my foot through the floor constantly?
Appreciate 0