M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

04-22-2015, 06:59 AM   #1
thedoctor
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

New mods and first track day: Impressions + Pics

As described in a previous post, i moved to the M5 from a GT3 because of the need to get into a more "family friendly" vehicle after the birth of our baby 6 months ago. Well it wasn't long before the urge to modify and track the car kicked in... Two things i shouldn't really be doing with the new "family" sedan. Needless to say, i went ahead with it regardless

On the mods side, i did the JB4 software and installed custom catless downpipes. I would HIGHLY recommend this mod combination to everyone who wants a more aggressive sound and feel to the car. It really has transformed the whole car and driving experience. The power gains are very noticeable too. I also fitted a pair of semi-slick's (Toyo Proxes R888) to the rear (couldn't find a set for the front in time but am hoping to add to the front too). The semi's on the rear have made a world of a difference to much-needed traction on the car. Launching off the line and full-throttle punches from 2nd and 3rd gear while rolling now result in minimal wheelspin, which was a big problem with the standard tires.

So, with all this new found sound, power and traction, i headed to my first track day with the M5 at Kyalami racetrack (Johannesburg, South Africa). The experience was really positive and, despite the M5 not being as sharp and agile as the GT3 as expected, it was blisteringly quick on the straights and handled very well in general. Frightening and scary in some bends, but loads of fun. I only did 2 sessions of about 4 or 5 laps each and there was loads of traffic, but i did manage to get 2 or 3 clean laps. My best time achieved was 2m05s which was the same as what i achieved with my GT3 first time out, so that's impressive. I'm convinced that with semi's fitted to the front and a bit more track time the M5 can really set some very impressive times and keep up with some of the more serious track-focused sportscars.

Here are some pics from the track...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 08:16 AM   #2
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Awesome. The M5 is no slouch on the track for sure.

You should look into sway bars and springs if you really want to improve track times, but those things will make the ride slightly less comfortable for the passengers when driving on the street.

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 09:07 AM   #3
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoctor View Post
As described in a previous post, i moved to the M5 from a GT3 because of the need to get into a more "family friendly" vehicle after the birth of our baby 6 months ago. Well it wasn't long before the urge to modify and track the car kicked in...
I'm still intimidated with the stock power of the M5, so I focused on suspension first, but I don't have a wonderful track like Kyalami to stretch its legs either. As RPiM5 says, springs and sway bars will improve the feel of the heavy M5 considerably on track. With stock suspension are you able to take the turn 9 kink at full throttle? With your GT3 history the M5 must be a handful at first! I just found out the track has been changed considerably after 1990, so the turn 9 kink isn't there and the track runs in a different direction also! Still, are there turns where the stock suspension is limiting for you, even with the better traction?

Last edited by Used2be; 04-22-2015 at 09:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 11:29 AM   #4
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

You'd probably be faster if you put that steering wheel back where it belongs

Seriously, nice work.
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2015, 04:36 PM   #5
Tanin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Looks like a fun day.

The M5 is big and heavy but has no problems representing on the track. I brought mine a few weeks ago to Buttonwillow in CA. Configuration for Buttonwillow that day only had one true hairpin to deal with and my car performed much better than I expected. The HP and low end torque made up for most of the lost speed in turns and the stock CP suspension (even in sport+) was forgiving enough I could use the rumble strips to my advantage.

Coil-overs were already on my list but wanted to get a baseline with stock suspension first.

Are you going to keep the R888's on the car for street use? I live in S.Cal with very few wet days and contemplating some R's for daily use.
      04-22-2015, 05:35 PM   #6
bronch
Waiting for the sun
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240ix

Nice read, I like to see people tracking this car. It's too heavy to be great, but it is a lot of fun. I agree with the others get some new sways and coilovers and that will help your corner exit times. Also consider a Rossi replica upgrade to improve your time.
Appreciate 0