BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

04-14-2015, 09:29 PM   #23
6spdterror
Route Runner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 ///M6 Gran Coupe

Its definitely a step down. I sat in and drove an ///M4 and coming from my car, it just doesnt do it for me.I went to an M3/M4 meet this past sunday and me and a few of my F10 buddies were there and i can tell you this, The F80 crowd is much younger and of course they all aspire to someday own an M5. They were more interested in our cars than theirs. BTW...i live in NYC and there is no track here. We have to drive pretty darn far to get to any sort of racetrack. I personally have no intentions of driving my M5 around a racetrack but for the quarter mile and half mile events, highway pulls and generally embarrassing exotics at every rally i attend.....ill still have my ///M5!
04 Honda Pilot (everyday car)
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 09:34 PM   #24
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdterror View Post
Its definitely a step down. I sat in and drove an ///M4 and coming from my car, it just doesnt do it for me.I went to an M3/M4 meet this past sunday and me and a few of my F10 buddies were there and i can tell you this, The F80 crowd is much younger and of course they all aspire to someday own an M5. They were more interested in our cars than theirs. BTW...i live in NYC and there is no track here. We have to drive pretty darn far to get to any sort of racetrack. I personally have no intentions of driving my M5 around a racetrack but for the quarter mile and half mile events, highway pulls and generally embarrassing exotics at every rally i attend.....ill still have my ///M5!
Indeed my friend. Like I said, most M3 owners won't admit it, but the price is a part of why they bought one. When you can get a stripped down F80 M3 with no options with about a 7% discount on average that comes out to more than $40 grand off the base price of an M5.

I really like the M3, I really do. The engine and exhaust kill it for me though. That's why I keep saying that if BMW puts a 6 cyl in the next M5, I'm buying an Audi next. Lol!

On a side note I had to drive a BMW loaner vehicle today when I took my M5 in for service. They gave me a literally no option base 528i. After driving that for a couple of hours and then getting back into my M5, I felt like I was going from a Honda (Inside Joke with 6speedterror) to a Bentley. Haha! The two biggest things that jumped right out at me about a lower quality model compared to the M5 was the steering and the Bang & Olufsen. I was trying to jam in the 528i with the radio stations but failed miserably and the steering in the 528i felt dead to me. Made me appreciate my M5 a lot, even though it's only a Pre-LCI.

Last edited by RPiM5; 04-14-2015 at 09:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 09:41 PM   #25
6spdterror
Route Runner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 ///M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Indeed my friend. Like I said, most M3 owners won't admit it, but the price is a part of why they bought one. When you can get a stripped down F80 M3 with no options with about a 7% discount on average that comes out to more than $40 grand off the base price of an M5.

I really like the M3, I really do. The engine and exhaust kill it for me though. That's why I keep saying that if BMW puts a 6 cyl in the next M5, I'm buying an Audi next. Lol!

On a side note I had to drive a BMW loaner vehicle today when I took my M5 in for service. They gave me a literally no option base 528i. After driving that for a couple of hours and then getting back into my M5, I felt like I was going from a Honda (Inside Joke with 6speedterror) to a Bentley. Haha!
100% correct! 97.3% of M3/M4 owners get it because they couldnt swing for an M5/M6. Of course there's exceptions to the rule llike my friend Mike, hes an ///M whore! He has an M4, M6GC and an X6M for the winters and driving around his wife and Kid!
04 Honda Pilot (everyday car)
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 09:47 PM   #26
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdterror View Post
100% correct! 97.3% of M3/M4 owners get it because they couldnt swing for an M5/M6. Of course there's exceptions to the rule llike my friend Mike, hes an ///M whore! He has an M4, M6GC and an X6M for the winters and driving around his wife and Kid!
An ///M for every occasion. Just like a gentlemen should do. Pip pip and cheerio old sport.

Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 10:14 PM   #27
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

I plan on getting an M3 after my lease is up on my M5 and I continue to be very fortunate financially.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 10:18 PM   #28
MyF15+F85
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F85 and 2015 F15

m5 vs m3

This subject will not get old as the sibling rivalry will never get old.
Different cars for different folks, FOLKS !
To me it is the same as buying my rum... yes rum
You will see a lot of people getting the generic ( M3 ) 3 to 5 year old finely distilled rum...
But there is a shelf in the back of the store, and yes there is this 15 or 20 year old rum ( M5 ), that was sitting in the oak drum and soaked the finer, more subtle smells and slightly different taste.
Don't get me wrong they will both get you drunk when over indulgence will come to play, but..... there are those little differences that will steer you either way ( generic or more refine )
I have driven both cars, extensively before choosing, and have ended up with M5, but I'm sure there are those that went the other way. Was it for the cost ? value ? or any other variant, these are the choices that make us who we are or want to be.
For me M5 is the step up no question, the entire package is exactly what I was aiming for period . M3 is a very fast, better on the track and all, but... it is missing that flare, niche exclusiveness if you will.
That is my 5 cents worth.
Cheers !
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 10:33 PM   #29
M3Fanatics
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '15 YMB F80 M3 '15 BSM F15 X5

Lol seriously, trust me we don't all aspire to own an M5, when I ordered my car back in September, I was offered a new '14 M5 on the lot fully loaded for a minimal increase in my payment ($150 I believe) I just test drove both and preferred the M3 for my needs, and the M5 isn't exactly that expensive or a supercar for all the F8x community to look up to or aspire to own.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 10:45 PM   #30
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
On a side note I had to drive a BMW loaner vehicle today when I took my M5 in for service. They gave me a literally no option base 528i. After driving that for a couple of hours and then getting back into my M5, I felt like I was going from a Honda (Inside Joke with 6speedterror) to a Bentley. Haha! The two biggest things that jumped right out at me about a lower quality model compared to the M5 was the steering and the Bang & Olufsen. I was trying to jam in the 528i with the radio stations but failed miserably and the steering in the 528i felt dead to me. Made me appreciate my M5 a lot, even though it's only a Pre-LCI.
LOL... I had similar feeling when I drove a loaner X4 (28) and then changed it to X5 (35) for another 2 days and finally got back to my car
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 10:45 PM   #31
Knicks_fan2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Fanatics View Post
Lol seriously, trust me we don't all aspire to own an M5, when I ordered my car back in September, I was offered a new '14 M5 on the lot fully loaded for a minimal increase in my payment ($150 I believe) I just test drove both and preferred the M3 for my needs, and the M5 isn't exactly that expensive or a supercar for all the F8x community to look up to or aspire to own.
Agreed. I think the usual evolution for the M3 buyer is to the 911 as opposed to the M5.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 11:11 PM   #32
M5Hambre
Soldier
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 SGM

I traded in an E92 M3 for a new M5 couples yrs ago. If I did not have the M5 I would def go for a new M3 right now. I think it's a better daily driver if u commute alone and much more involving. Also much more enjoyable on a track if you live near one. The M5 is way to heavy to properly enjoy during HPDE
      04-15-2015, 01:57 AM   #33
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

Step down yes,
however it is all about what you need and what you are seeking for a car.

even after m5, i "stepped down" to another 1M.. but I love it, every single thing about it, both cars provide different experience that fill my needs differently. don't get me wrong, I love love the M5, it is definitely one of the best car I've driven and own, it's just sometimes other ticks more box at the right time.

However if you look at it as a features, the M5 has more comfort and good entertainment options, the M3 as well will give you a better driving dynamics I believe due to smaller in size and weight.

there might be critics. people talked about me when they saw I "downgraded" from M5 to the unloved 1M..
but again..it all comes down when you are in the car.
      04-15-2015, 02:20 AM   #34
BavariaExclusive
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Spaceship

Depends how you look at it i guess. Like they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 02:36 AM   #35
wonderkid23
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5

I still remember the day I moved from E92 M3 to M5 CP. wow this is the car I dreamed of. Comfort,luxury and mucho torque. When I had M3, I enjoyed high rev NA engine though, I missed adequate torque at low rev. Strangely I missed NA engine sound so I got Porsche 911 GTS as my weekend toy...M5 is my great DD.
Move from M5 to M3 is step down, get 911 instead and keep M5!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 03:59 AM   #36
alvinabed
First Lieutenant
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: 13 AWSO M5,16 DGMR X5M

Garage List
Both cars are great!! It is back again to your personal needs. If you need a luxury sedan with great comfort and luxury yet fast, M5 is the answer! If you go for track day (which is a rare case), then M3 is a better car for you.

In my case, i wouldn't move from M5 to M3. Why? Because i would prefer M2 or M4 for track, and have the M5 for luxury super sedan that I can DD every single day + I can bring my family along. =)
upgrades: RKP front spoiler, M performance carbon spoiler, 3D design rear carbon diffuser, KW HAS Sleeve Kit, Akrapovic Evolution Carbon tips, ind black LCI front and rear grills, GruppeM RAM intake, 20" HRE P104 satin charcoal with PSS tires)
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 05:13 AM   #37
IshR
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Amen!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 06:51 AM   #38
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

Different cars for different purposes. You could always have both.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 07:37 AM   #39
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavariaExclusive View Post
Depends how you look at it i guess. Like they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinabed View Post
Both cars are great!! It is back again to your personal needs. If you need a luxury sedan with great comfort and luxury yet fast, M5 is the answer! If you go for track day (which is a rare case), then M3 is a better car for you.

In my case, i wouldn't move from M5 to M3. Why? Because i would prefer M2 or M4 for track, and have the M5 for luxury super sedan that I can DD every single day + I can bring my family along. =)
Hey you! you don't track M2 or M4...

I can see clearly you prefer supertrofeo for the track!
      04-15-2015, 07:50 AM   #40
MCarsFan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 F10 CP

Garage List
2014 BMW F10 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IshR View Post
Amen!
Agree...on this topic there was a great video posted few weeks back of M5 vs M4 at the track. M5 on the straights ate the M3/M4..so much power..
      04-15-2015, 07:52 AM   #41
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFten View Post
This subject will not get old as the sibling rivalry will never get old.
Different cars for different folks, FOLKS !
To me it is the same as buying my rum... yes rum
You will see a lot of people getting the generic ( M3 ) 3 to 5 year old finely distilled rum...
But there is a shelf in the back of the store, and yes there is this 15 or 20 year old rum ( M5 ), that was sitting in the oak drum and soaked the finer, more subtle smells and slightly different taste.
Don't get me wrong they will both get you drunk when over indulgence will come to play, but..... there are those little differences that will steer you either way ( generic or more refine )
I have driven both cars, extensively before choosing, and have ended up with M5, but I'm sure there are those that went the other way. Was it for the cost ? value ? or any other variant, these are the choices that make us who we are or want to be.
For me M5 is the step up no question, the entire package is exactly what I was aiming for period . M3 is a very fast, better on the track and all, but... it is missing that flare, niche exclusiveness if you will.
That is my 5 cents worth.
Cheers !
I prefer Captain Morgan myself, even though Bacardi is the rum of my people. Lol!

Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 07:57 AM   #42
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCarsFan View Post
Agree...on this topic there was a great video posted few weeks back of M5 vs M4 at the track. M5 on the straights ate the M3/M4..so much power..
But then one could argue that the M4 ate the M5 in the corners, which it did.

It's just that the driver of the M4 had a sweaty butt and back while in said corners, where as the M5 drivers butt and back were nice and cool thanks to the ventilated seats.

I'm almost glad someone started this topic up again. Things have been boring around here lately. Some spice was needed to liven things up. We're still 4 or 5 years away from the next M5, so let's keep this debate going for the next 4 years until then. Reminds me of the days between the E60 M5 and E92 M3. The E60 proponents were always like, "it doesn't matter what points you have about the E92 M3, there's no V10." Lol!

Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 09:53 AM   #43
secretariat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

6 spdterror, 97.3%. What is that. Sounds like a made up % to me, it even sounds like it's coming from an angry individual who has a serious bias toward M3 drivers. By the way I'm adding an X5M to my garage. Is the M5 more powerful than the M3--Yes. Is it bigger, more comfortable, heavier and to every M5 driver better than yes. I never heard the B/O sound system and I'm sure it's very good, but when you get the equalizer correct in the H/K system it is very good also. Go ahead M5 drivers you guys have the best car on the planet. It is unbelievable. Every time I see one I get a woody. Ask this question over on the M3 board and you'll get the same stupid pro-m3 remarks.

I was very close to purchasing an M5, but the M3 came out and that car is better suited for my needs. Guys these are just cars by the way.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 09:59 AM   #44
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretariat View Post
Guys these are just cars by the way.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0