12-29-2013, 02:34 PM   #1
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Question Teach me DCT?

Hey M5 pros -
Would you please teach me a little bit about how to use DCT?
I had the car for about 2 weeks now and still believe there are things I don't know about using it?

We can put it in the form of TIPS AND TRICKS if you will.
Especially D vs S and MDM and similar things?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 02:39 PM   #2
h4nh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SC E90 M3 / 13 F10 M5

Garage List
2009 E90 M3 (superc ...  [10.00]
2013 M5  [0.00]
      12-29-2013, 02:51 PM   #3
skypx
Veteran U.S. Army
Germany
Rep
Drives: ///M

I haven't found anything new, but what I keep in mind when using the M5 is the torque band.

Coming from an E92 M3 I would keep it in the current gear until 6-7K rpm (max torque at 8K rpm?).

With the M5, most if not all the time I leave it in D mode since all the available torque comes on at 1.5K rpm and the electronics do an outstanding job of keeping it in the correct gear based on how much I depress the gas pedal.

That's it........ Well unless it's above 50F....... and I want to act like a proper hooligan.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 04:08 PM   #4
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypx View Post
I haven't found anything new, but what I keep in mind when using the M5 is the torque band.

Coming from an E92 M3 I would keep it in the current gear until 6-7K rpm (max torque at 8K rpm?).

With the M5, most if not all the time I leave it in D mode since all the available torque comes on at 1.5K rpm and the electronics do an outstanding job of keeping it in the correct gear based on how much I depress the gas pedal.

That's it........ Well unless it's above 50F....... and I want to act like a proper hooligan.
Hehehehe
Not exactly what I am looking for -
But I can reflect on that too
But I am talking more modes S vs M vs D vs MDM etc
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 04:52 PM   #5
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4nh View Post
Sounds like a silly question
But I am sure there is a plethora of info on that DCT that we haven't delved into yet and I am trying to learn from who knows more than me,
I get it (YOU don't-

Any takers?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 05:00 PM   #6
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

I won't say I am surprised by SMG not getting any votes here... but surprised that no MT fans or should I say purists are stepping up -
I drive manual better than I do AT but why?
Guess I am not a purist -
Do you still exist
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 07:39 PM   #7
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

Understanding M5 DCT
SEQUENTIAL (S): S1, S2, S3
S1: Upshifts and downshifts are slightly delayed in favor of a very comfortable and nearly impossible to feel gear change.
S2: Upshifts and downshifts are very fast and instant.
S3: Upshifts and downshifts are even faster. This is DCT at it's finest.

DRIVELOGIC (D): D1, D2, D3
D1: Behaves like S1, and least sensitive to drivers throttle input. In this mode the DCT will keep the gears as high as possible and engine speed low. This is the mode you want to be in for maximum comfort and maximum MPG.
D2: Behaves like S2, and more sensitive to drivers throttle input. In this mode the DCT will keep itself in the right/ideal gear.
D3: Behaves like S3, and most sensitive to drivers throttle input. In this mode the DCT will keep itself in the optimal gear (aka ready to go gear), and will react to throttle input immediately. This is the mode you want to be in for maximum performance.

Understanding M5 Traction Control Systems
DSC ON: All traction control systems are enabled.
DSC OFF: All traction control systems are 100% disabled.
MDM: DSC is fully disabled, and MDM is activated. MDM will provide you with a "safety net". It is the "middle ground" between DSC On and DSC Off. It's important to note that the safety net MDM provides will not save you all the time and it will not save you from every situation. Also important to note is that if you have the ZCP package equipped on your M5, MDM operates on a modified and reengineered program, which is reprogrammed to be even less intrusive.

The best way to understand and learn the car is to read the manual front to back, and spend time behind the wheel. Spend a few days just driving in S1-3 and another few days just driving in D1-3. You will catch on very quickly.
The M5 is a high performance vehicle, and demands that type of respect. Use great caution with DSC Off and MDM.

Last edited by avlnch; 12-29-2013 at 07:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 07:50 PM   #8
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by avlnch View Post
Understanding M5 DCT
SEQUENTIAL (S): S1, S2, S3
S1: Upshifts and downshifts are slightly delayed in favor of a very comfortable and nearly impossible to feel gear change.
S2: Upshifts and downshifts are very fast and instant.
S3: Upshifts and downshifts are even faster. This is DCT at it's finest.

DRIVELOGIC (D): D1, D2, D3
D1: Behaves like S1, and least sensitive to drivers throttle input. In this mode the DCT will keep the gears as high as possible and engine speed low. This is the mode you want to be in for maximum comfort and maximum MPG.
D2: Behaves like S2, and more sensitive to drivers throttle input. In this mode the DCT will keep itself in the right/ideal gear.
D3: Behaves like S3, and most sensitive to drivers throttle input. In this mode the DCT will keep itself in the optimal gear (aka ready to go gear), and will react to throttle input immediately. This is the mode you want to be in for maximum performance.

Understanding M5 Traction Control Systems
DSC ON: All traction control systems are enabled.
DSC OFF: All traction control systems are 100% disabled.
MDM: DSC is fully disabled, and MDM is activated. MDM will provide you with a "safety net". It is the "middle ground" between DSC On and DSC Off. It's important to note that the safety net MDM provides will not save you all the time and it will not save you from every situation. Also important to note is that if you have the ZCP package equipped on your M5, MDM operates on a modified and reengineered program, which is reprogrammed to be even less intrusive.

The best way to understand and learn the car is to read the manual front to back, and spend time behind the wheel. Spend a few days just driving in S1-3 and another few days just driving in D1-3. You will catch on very quickly.
The M5 is a high performance vehicle, and demands that type of respect. Use great caution with DSC Off and MDM.

Great reply,
Thank you

Now how do you put it in Sequential without having to up shift and downshift yourself manually?

I tried and can't see how to put it in S!
What do I not know that seems to very very easily noticeable and logic?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 07:56 PM   #9
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Reason I am.confuaed is coming from ZF 550i and it has automatic D and Automatic S besides the Manual or Sequential Shifting?

So the 550i ZF can be put into S mode and the ZF still does the job for me using the throttle feedback from my foot.

Now how is DCT different ?

I am totally confused

BTW I am really annoyed by the fact there is not quick button for Parking like ZF!!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 08:06 PM   #10
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by soooma View Post
BTW I am really annoyed by the fact there is not quick button for Parking like ZF!!
The other 5 Series have the auto-park because when you are stopped at a red light it's very annoying and tiring to hold the brake pedal with the required pressure to keep the car still.

The M5 doesn't have the auto-park feature because after the M5 is fully stopped and you let your foot off the brake pedal, it will not creep forward. It will only begin to creep forward if you tap the pedal - at which time it enters "creep mode" until it once again reaches a full stop.
This doesn't mean that when the M5 is stopped you can keep you foot off the brake pedal. You need to apply a slight amount of pressure to ensure the car stays still. The reason being, if you are not on even/level tarmac, the M5 will roll backwards/forwards. The amount of pressure required to keep the M5 still is very little, and therefore not tiring at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soooma View Post
Reason I am.confuaed is coming from ZF 550i and it has automatic D and Automatic S besides the Manual or Sequential Shifting?
So the 550i ZF can be put into S mode and the ZF still does the job for me using the throttle feedback from my foot.
I am totally confused
To switch between Sequential and Drivelogic you tap the DCT lever once to the right. Look at the dash and you will see it change from "Dx" to "x" (x being the gear).

The ZF transmission only has an automatic drive and automatic sport. It doesn't have a sequential mode like the M5. When you are in sequential mode in the M5, it will never shift for you UNLESS:

1. Minimum RPM Reached For Selected Gear: If you are in too low of a gear, it will then downshift for you. For example, say you are in 3rd gear and approaching a red light. If you do not downshift at all and slowly bring the car to the white line at the stop light, you will notice the car automatically downshifts to 2nd gear and then just before you are at a full stop it will downshift to 1st gear.

2. Over-Rev Condition For Requested Gear: If you are in any gear and attempt to downshift to a lower gear that puts the engine RPM very close to or over the RPM limit, it will not act on your request to drop down a gear. The same applies if you attempt to double-downshift. It will deny any request to drop a gear if it brings the engine speed to an over-rev state.

Last edited by avlnch; 12-29-2013 at 08:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 08:39 PM   #11
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Thank you for the info
That's what I was looking for -

Sadly I know about #2 from my HORRIBLE experience with accidentally hotting M2 button on the steering wheel and the car won't shift up for me and was in Sequential mode gear 1 and unfortunately that was when I decided to test my B&O very high volume and the car had just 400 miles on it or so and I don't know what happened exactly but car felt very unwilling to speed and I looked at the odometer trying to understand what's going on to be SHOCK ED that car was in such a manual mode set by dealership before I got the car AND OMG that was in Break In period and I was really sad for the whole day!!

I am afraid I ruined the whole break in period doing this...

Having said that..
My car had 100 miles on it or so before delivery and I am sure these were at least 12-15 test drives which can't be merciful and I am suspecting the cat was raped several times before I received it -

Any thoughts on this?

Again thank you so much for the info
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 08:41 PM   #12
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Meaning I must have been in red line for a few seconds before I corrected it but again I belive that was dealer's mistake programming M2 button this way when I was still learning DCT shifting thung?!

Still sad about that memory during break in..
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 08:51 PM   #13
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by soooma
Thank you for the info
That's what I was looking for -

Sadly I know about #2 from my HORRIBLE experience with accidentally hotting M2 button on the steering wheel and the car won't shift up for me and was in Sequential mode gear 1 and unfortunately that was when I decided to test my B&O very high volume and the car had just 400 miles on it or so and I don't know what happened exactly but car felt very unwilling to speed and I looked at the odometer trying to understand what's going on to be SHOCK ED that car was in such a manual mode set by dealership before I got the car AND OMG that was in Break In period and I was really sad for the whole day!!

I am afraid I ruined the whole break in period doing this...

Having said that..
My car had 100 miles on it or so before delivery and I am sure these were at least 12-15 test drives which can't be merciful and I am suspecting the cat was raped several times before I received it -

Any thoughts on this?

Again thank you so much for the info
I'm very strict about break in and none of my cars burn oil. I do occasionally rev it above 4k rpm though - eg to 5k rpm. There's nothing wrong with that, the key is to vary the revs a lot and generally go easy (no full throttle revving). Commute driving is not good for break-in. Non highway driving is terrific.

But anyway there's nothing you can do about it at this stage so just enjoy your car.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 08:54 PM   #14
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

One more thing
How to put car in MDM?
What is the launch control sequence?
Does Lunch control hurt car?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 09:00 PM   #15
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by soooma

I am totally confused

Your question indicates a misunderstanding of what Sequential means.

Sequential means manual shifting.
Drive means automatic shifting.

It's not like in the 550i where S mode means sports mode. We have three levels of transmission behavior for both sequential and drive modes - S1-S3, and D1-D3. The higher the mode the faster the shifts and the more sporty the shift pattern if in Drive mode.

D3 is like an attack mode. High revving very fast shifts. S3 is manual but with very fast shifts like a race car.

One other thing is that when you are in sequential mode, if you floor the accelerator and downshift at the same time, it will automatically select the optimal gear to maximize acceleration. So this means it may shift from 7 to 3 directly to get you into the right gear if you are flooring it. This is an awesome feature!

Also for hill starts, a good tip is to use the parking brake. The car automatically releases the parking brake when you apply throttle so it's a smoother hill start than using the brake pedal to keep the car still.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 09:01 PM   #16
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
I'm very strict about break in and none of my cars burn oil. I do occasionally rev it above 4k rpm though - eg to 5k rpm. There's nothing wrong with that, the key is to vary the revs a lot and generally go easy (no full throttle revving). Commute driving is not good for break-in. Non highway driving is terrific.

But anyway there's nothing you can do about it at this stage so just enjoy your car.
It is a lease anyway -
It was delivered to me after 300 miles of driving highway,
Yet the guy who drove it was I'm his 60's and seemed to be doing this for a living..

Thanks again for the info
Still only 850 miles only on it and planning on having an early break in service like anything above 1000 miles...

P.S I have an X5 50i that needs 1 quart every month or so and we didn't follow break period - but a lease too...
And my 550i needs a quart once before service ....

I guess I don't know how to break in my cars -
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 09:04 PM   #17
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

@soooma Read the M5 Owners Manual.

PDF Attached.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 2013_M5_Sedan_OM.pdf (4.88 MB, 259 views)
      12-29-2013, 09:07 PM   #18
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
Your question indicates a misunderstanding of what Sequential means.

Sequential means manual shifting.
Drive means automatic shifting.

It's not like in the 550i where S mode means sports mode. We have three levels of transmission behavior for both sequential and drive modes - S1-S3, and D1-D3. The higher the mode the faster the shifts and the more sporty the shift pattern if in Drive mode.

D3 is like an attack mode. High revving very fast shifts. S3 is manual but with very fast shifts like a race car.

One other thing is that when you are in sequential mode, if you floor the accelerator and downshift at the same time, it will automatically select the optimal gear to maximize acceleration. So this means it may shift from 7 to 3 directly to get you into the right gear if you are flooring it. This is an awesome feature!

Also for hill starts, a good tip is to use the parking brake. The car automatically releases the parking brake when you apply throttle so it's a smoother hill start than using the brake pedal to keep the car still.

Thank you guys
Ow I am so depressed and I feel like the only one who doesn't know how to drive his M5 around -; )
I believe I need to read or rather study the manual,
Problem car was delivered on a very hectic work week when I had not even a few minutes to em read or ask!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 09:11 PM   #19
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
...if you floor the accelerator and downshift at the same time, it will automatically select the optimal gear...
*#@&! That is beyond awesome. I never knew this and I have read the owners manual, S63TU technical manual, and other docs. Where did you learn about this feature?

Would of been nice to know two nights ago when a '14 Alpina B7 and I were doing a few pulls on 95 SB. I hate keeping my M5 revved high while the other driver is readying up.

Makes me want to hop on the west side hwy right now and try it out. Too bad its brick cold outside at the moment.
      12-29-2013, 09:14 PM   #20
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Oh wait. You mean in Sequential mode with the kick down button pressed in? Then drop down a gear and it will bring it down to the optimal gear for current road speed?
      12-29-2013, 09:26 PM   #21
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by avlnch
Oh wait. You mean in Sequential mode with the kick down button pressed in? Then drop down a gear and it will bring it down to the optimal gear for current road speed?
Yes. The kickdown button tells the clutch to automatically select the optimal gear before you actually downshift.

Learned this and a bunch of other cool things here.

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=776460
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 10:50 PM   #22
h4nh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SC E90 M3 / 13 F10 M5

Garage List
2009 E90 M3 (superc ...  [10.00]
2013 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by avlnch View Post
@soooma Read the M5 Owners Manual.

PDF Attached.
^this. buys 100k car.. doesn't read basic features in the manual.