Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

06-19-2014, 01:18 PM   #1
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Exclamation SPEEDING In the UK

It appears to me that "Speeding" is being portrayed as "Antisocial" behaviour and we are being targeted harder and harder here in the UK.

It will be in the same league as "Drink Driving" soon mark my words.

Is it time to say "time" on our performance cars?.
Or just getting closer to saying "is it worth the expense of one"?.
Applies to UK only at the moment.

Your views.
      06-19-2014, 02:03 PM   #2
Tom C
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8 GC Comp, Shelby GT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
It appears to me that "Speeding" is being portrayed as "Antisocial" behaviour and we are being targeted harder and harder here in the UK.

Your views.
It is kind of ridiculous when you think of the advancements in technologies in braking systems and tires. Cars today are much safer at higher speeds than cars say 20 years ago. Most speed limits haven't changed in most places for decades, and are way too slow given the above mentioned advancements. The REAL problem isn't the speeding, it is people not paying attention to the roads. They are playing with their mobile devices instead of focusing on the road itself and fellow motorists. But people want to always scape goat the wrong thing...just another case of symbolism over substance...
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 02:17 PM   #3
Dionysus
Captain
Rep
Drives: TBC

Speeding on UK motorway will soon attract max £10K fine. We don't need a performance car to speed though, just a lot more self-restraint required if you do drive one.

I have noticed that if I drive to the speed limits and defensively (good distance from other cars, etc.), but accelerate in low gears to hear the exhaust, I tend to see more patrol cars as a result. I don't believe I'm being paranoid, it feels as though other motorists believe you are driving in an antisocial manner and informing on you.

If we lose the ability to drive a 'noisy' car or are restrained from accelerating briskly (but safely), then, for me, it is game over for performance cars in the UK.

Last edited by Dionysus; 06-19-2014 at 02:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 02:29 PM   #4
Dionysus
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C View Post
It is kind of ridiculous when you think of the advancements in technologies in braking systems and tires. Cars today are much safer at higher speeds than cars say 20 years ago. Most speed limits haven't changed in most places for decades, and are way too slow given the above mentioned advancements. The REAL problem isn't the speeding, it is people not paying attention to the roads. They are playing with their mobile devices instead of focusing on the road itself and fellow motorists. But people want to always scape goat the wrong thing...just another case of symbolism over substance...
I would agree with this for faster roads providing driving standards could be improved (although greater speed does potentially equal greater severity of damage/injury, regardless of how safe modern day cars have become), but not for 'local' roads where pedestrians are involved - yes modern cars have systems/materials to better protect pedestrians and a lot of the speed limits are based on data from the 60s/70s, however, small differences in speed, say 30mph to 35mph can make a large difference to the outcome. Another factor to consider when it comes to speed limits, is that there are many people not fortunate enough to drive a modern car.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 02:41 PM   #5
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C View Post
It is kind of ridiculous when you think of the advancements in technologies in braking systems and tires. Cars today are much safer at higher speeds than cars say 20 years ago. Most speed limits haven't changed in most places for decades, and are way too slow given the above mentioned advancements.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post
I would agree with this for faster roads providing driving standards could be improved (although greater speed does potentially equal greater severity of damage/injury, regardless of how safe modern day cars have become), but not for 'local' roads where pedestrians are involved - yes modern cars have systems/materials to better protect pedestrians and a lot of the speed limits are based on data from the 60s/70s, however, small differences in speed, say 30mph to 35mph can make a large difference to the outcome. Another factor to consider when it comes to speed limits, is that there are many people not fortunate enough to drive a modern car.
I think sometimes the low speed limit is more dangerous than high speed limit. A good example is the speed limit of "65" when I drive in "I-5". Most of people drive about 70-80 and I have seen when someone is driving at limit like 60, others try to pass him and kinda cut each other. Another problem is that all lanes have the same speed. It's not like the first lane (the right one) has the lower speed limit and the other two or more have higher limit.
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 02:44 PM   #6
bigfra
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 991s , M5 Comp pack

I see these fines are England and Wales at the moment, I'm no "Yes" voter but hopefully Scotland doesn't follow suit
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 02:57 PM   #7
Dionysus
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe View Post
It's not like the first lane (the right one) has the lower speed limit and the other two or more have higher limit.
Not sure what you have in NA, but there are some restrictions for safety in UK, such as large vehicles having lower speed limits and being restricted to 'slower' lanes, no legal undertaking and passing by, etc.

What you describe, inattentive driving from speeders, is exactly what the UK is trying to tackle with the increased fines and antisocial driving laws, however, it comes back to Tom's point about lack of driving standards being the issue that should be tackled rather than speeding itself. Derestricted German autobahns would otherwise be a thing of the past.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 03:02 PM   #8
pauloamore
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 LCI

Interesting question....

Having just hit 205km/h in a B Class on the autobahn; i totally understand now why the M5 was built. You need the brakes because of all the numpties that pull out on the German dual carriageways... As for its relevance in the UK, not so sure (but I love my F10).

For me; i got it because I could.... Because the tech is great... And its an understate monster. Do you need 550 bhp to 2 wheels.... no...

Go to the Isle of Man... No speed limits out of town.

but i fu@king love it.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 03:10 PM   #9
botis1028
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M & F10 M5

I do agree with speed limits being slow given the performance of today's cars and the advancements in technology. We are building cars that have top speeds north of 200mph and the top speed limit in the United States is 80mph I believe somewhere in Texas or the mid-west. A toyota corolla can exceed this by 20mph.

After getting in a bad car accident I no longer text and drive and always use hands free when I do call - that being said, that is not the case for 75+% of the drivers on the road. There can be arguments in every aspect of the monitoring the roadways even drinking and driving. Many people can have 3-4 drinks or more and be completely competent to drive, but that doesn't mean that someone with a low tolerance would be in any condition to drive with this.

I think if you have self control - you can have plenty of enjoyment out of a high performance car even abiding by the law. If you do want to let go - that's what they invented tracks for.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 03:11 PM   #10
botis1028
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M & F10 M5

I do agree with speed limits being slow given the performance of today's cars and the advancements in technology. We are building cars that have top speeds north of 200mph and the top speed limit in the United States is 80mph I believe somewhere in Texas or the mid-west. A toyota corolla can exceed this by 20mph.

After getting in a bad car accident I no longer text and drive and always use hands free when I do call - that being said, that is not the case for 75+% of the drivers on the road. There can be arguments in every aspect of the monitoring the roadways even drinking and driving. Many people can have 3-4 drinks or more and be completely competent to drive, but that doesn't mean that someone with a low tolerance would be in any condition to drive with this.

I think if you have self control - you can have plenty of enjoyment out of a high performance car even abiding by the law. If you do want to let go - that's what they invented tracks for.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 03:44 PM   #11
Lual
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5 2014 CP / X5 G05 ‘21

Quote:

Your views.
In Switzerland is even worst. Speeding has been historically considred as anti social behaviour, so you don't need to be afraid only of the radars and police, but also of other drivers tempted of calling the police. So only way is to behave.

Speeding tickets vary but can be based on your wealth, and your car can be confiscated and destroyed. So you REALLY care.

Thankfully, the autobahn is in the neigbourhood, and it is plenty of mountain passes.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 03:47 PM   #12
wrsbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ferrari 488 Spider

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by botis1028 View Post

We actually have a road with 85mph but it's a toll road which I was just using yesterday. However, our I-10 speed limit west of San Antonio is 80mph. Most of the other highways in Texas are either 70 or 75mph. In the cities it is mostly 65mph on the highway.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 04:35 PM   #13
K900 NY
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 MCB/SO

NYC speed limit reducing to 25mph

The proposed 25mph limit is actually a compromise.....a 20mph limit was initially considered.

The main highways in the city will still be 40/45/50 but everything else goes to 25.

This is a result of the new mayor's stated goal of eliminating pedestrian deaths by 2024.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/18/ny...avor.html?_r=0
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 05:13 PM   #14
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by K900 NY View Post
The proposed 25mph limit is actually a compromise.....a 20mph limit was initially considered.

The main highways in the city will still be 40/45/50 but everything else goes to 25.

This is a result of the new mayor's stated goal of eliminating pedestrian deaths by 2024.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/18/ny...avor.html?_r=0
I've never felt at risk of being run over in New York, perhaps the new law is eliminating one of the benefits of higher speed limits: Darwinism.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 05:16 PM   #15
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:

Your views.
It's ridiculous. Might as well move to the land of milk and honey.

For now look at Stinger VIP
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 06:44 PM   #16
Careful Driver
Banned
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:

Your views.
Move to US and get a radar detector. Problem solved.

15 years I have had my drivers license and I have had absolutely 0 tickets. 0, nada, zip.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 08:45 PM   #17
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

Mstmng will never slow down. My money is on him.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 09:51 PM   #18
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Texas had the highest speed limit in the U.S. 85mph.

I suggest you all just move to Germany. That's my plan anyways. I will say though that SoCal comes in a close second, if you want to enjoy your car the way it was designed for.

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 10:18 PM   #19
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

I-10 west in some parts it is 75. On the beltway in Austin it it's 85 I believe. Someone correct me for the Austin area if I'm wrong.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 12:45 AM   #20
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 M240i Coupe - Estoril

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
John, good post.

When I switched from my last M3 and got the new X3 part of that decision (combined with ridiculous fuel costs at the time, monthlies, insurance etc) was .. It's simply no fun any more.. Not just speeding or enjoying acceleration but quality of our roads is dire.

3 years on.. I've ordered the M6, ok costs do come into it, fuel is down, insurance is down, I've done a speed awareness course since getting done in the X3.. Never stopped before.

So is it time.. If you can afford it, and for those days, evenings and nights when I like to go for a blast you can still enjoy the cars, to go back to what I love..

Hell yes!

Twisties are more fun than motorways anyway
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 06:06 AM   #21
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

My comment is no comment.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 06:07 AM   #22
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Careful Driver View Post
Move to US and get a radar detector. Problem solved.

15 years I have had my drivers license and I have had absolutely 0 tickets. 0, nada, zip.
Keep telling yourself that. Believe in yourself.
Appreciate 0