M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Mechanical Maintenance - Break-in, Oil, Fluids, Servicing, Etc.

07-13-2015, 09:07 PM   #1
ApolloM5
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White M5

Alignment Question

I took my M5 in today for an alignment and it didn't take long for the Mechanic to finish up, but I requested that noone drive my M5. I believe that as a Certified BMW Mechanic, something as routine as this should be pretty easy being that a machine guides you throughout the alignment process.

After driving home from work today, I decided to let go of the wheel to test it out and noticed that my car keeps drifting to the right considerably. I know I'm not crazy, but don't I have the right to go back in for no charge to ensure this gets fixed?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 10:54 AM   #2
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloM5 View Post
I took my M5 in today for an alignment and it didn't take long for the Mechanic to finish up, but I requested that noone drive my M5. I believe that as a Certified BMW Mechanic, something as routine as this should be pretty easy being that a machine guides you throughout the alignment process.

After driving home from work today, I decided to let go of the wheel to test it out and noticed that my car keeps drifting to the right considerably. I know I'm not crazy, but don't I have the right to go back in for no charge to ensure this gets fixed?
If you paid for the alignment at the dealership you can definitely go back as many times as it takes to get the alignment correct. I have done this before, in some cases going back multiple times and only paying for the initial alignment. Also there may be some other things causing the alignment to go out, such as uneven tire wear, a damaged or broken suspension component, or sometimes the road you are driving on is biased. I just got done replacing an upper control arm because it was bent and causing massive problems with my alignment and front end control.

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 05:24 PM   #3
ApolloM5
Rep

RPiM5,
I took it to the dealer today and they re-aligned it for me and showed me the results of where it was and used to be. They were actually pretty cool about me bringing it back and let me know to voice any additional concerns I may have because they are about Customer Satisfaction.

Thanks as always, your advice is always on point and I appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 12:12 PM   #4
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

No problem.

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 05:40 PM   #5
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

So did that correct the problem? I know even with the alignment within specs of the manufacturer if you have bad tire wear it'll still cause the vehicle to pull either left/right like mentioned above. Working in an automotive shop back in my Sear's day this lady kept complaining that even after aligning her car several times it would still pull right. Well...we found out that because she weighed 300lbs+ we had to align the car with her in it! True story!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 03:03 PM   #6
ApolloM5
Rep

Yep, it corrected the problem, luckily I'm only a meager 195lbs. I found out that at my Dealership, they use a certain Mechanic who only works on M5s, M6s, Ferraris, Lambos, and Rolls Royce's.
Appreciate 0