Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

02-19-2015, 09:36 AM   #1
PunjabiM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

Thinking of purchasing used M5 or something else

The itch has come to get a new daily driver in the near future. Currently our daily drivers are a 2012 Audi A6 3.0T and a 2015 X5 35d. The X5 is pretty new to the stable and has been awesome, and will be a long term keeper (4-5 yrs). The A6 I bought new three years ago and have put 35k miles on it thus far, all problem free. It is actually a great daily with ample power, but I feel the time has come to replace it with something more fun, meaning more power and better handling.

Some cars I am thinking about: ED on new M3, used 2013-14 M5, used RS7, possibly upcoming GSF (mostly due to Lexus reliability, build quality, and likely relative rareness of the vehicle). On the Lexus I would have to wait to see it in the flesh and drive it before passing judgment. Initial thought is that it won't be nearly as fun as the rest. I think the M3 will be the most fun due to it obviously being a smaller and lightweight car compared to the rest. ED is something I have been wanting to do for a while, but not sure if it will be possible as we are building a new house and also are trying to have kid #2. So if my wife does indeed being pregnant probably not a good idea to go unless I went myself or took a buddy with me. I also think the car may be a bit small given it will hopefully be four of us soon, though we do have the X5. Other minor quirks is M3 has no option for ACC and the I6TT doesn't sound all that great.

So that leaves the two used options to discuss: the M5 and the RS7. Pros of the RS7: traction, hence acceleration from a dig, limited production compared to M5, therefore will have much better resale value in the future. I don't like the fact that Audi does not have full leather dashboard, plus I assume it will have more turbo lag due to 4.0L running higher boost than the larger motor of the M5.

Now on the M5, I think a 2014 with competition pack would be the ideal one to get. But given the scenario that it will be used mostly for just daily driving and hauling around the family, do you think it is worth spending the premium to get a 2014 comp pack versus getting a nicely optioned 2013? Also, how much more will the values tank compared to say going the ED M3 route? Historically the M3 holds its value much better. Any input and advice is greatly appreciated. I probably won't be pulling the trigger until late summer or Fall at the earliest.
2024 718 GT4 RS | Arctic Grey

Last edited by PunjabiM3; 02-19-2015 at 10:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 10:11 AM   #2
Lalit@autocouture
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tributo, Superfast, M5cs

F10 without a doubt... Although I am biased
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 11:24 AM   #3
rocky
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5

M5 !! no brainer
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 11:48 AM   #4
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

I think on this board you'll get mostly the M5 response. In my experience the Audis do not hold there value any better than a BMW, but you are right about the M3.

Regardless, it depends on what you want. If the X5 suits your family needs 100% and you want a lighter sportier car, go with the M3/M4. If you think you may need a larger sedan at times and want brute power then it's the M5. IMO, you don't need the CP, so you can save some money there, but others will of course suggest otherwise. The RS7 is a rocket, but it is a big heavy car.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 11:57 AM   #5
Mr_M5Guy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e60 M5

You can lease a 2014 M5 for under $800 month
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 12:02 PM   #6
M8
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

First of all, keep in mind where you are posting. We might be a bit biased.

M3/4 nice car but good luck getting a rear facing child seat in there. Sure, you can use another car but then you're not achieving your initial objective.

RS7 is a nice cruiser if you like that look (which most on this board will agree is just plain butt ugly) but big and heavy. Fun from a light but then what?

Low and behold, M5 wins! Shocking, I know! Fun factor is through the roof compared to others. It will not disappoint. Comp package is personal preference IMO. I honestly didn't notice a difference and unless you are hyper aggressive with your driving style or plan on taking it to a track, you can save a little money although I don't think there is that large of a difference in price now that '15s are out.

Good luck hunting!
Cadillac Escalade
Subaru Outback (it's required in Boulder!)
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 12:05 PM   #7
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
I actually don't think the M5 is the right answer for you. From reading your post a few things struck me:
1) You don't currently own any rear-wheel drive cars
2) Your current cars are quite easy to drive
3) You seem to value acceleration from a dig, but I don't read any points in your post about appreciating RWD benefits like purity of steering, ability to oversteer, cornering.

I think that if you buy an M5 you will have the following issues:
1) You will struggle with tire spin while accelerating and be disappointed with that
2) You will either have an accident or more likely a close call by flooring the throttle in M2 mode and losing the tail.

You would probably have the same issues with the M3 but not as bad. My sense though is that you should get a used RS7.

I can't comment for the others, but I got my M5 after a long-line of high performance rear wheel drive cars, including manuals, and I knew it would be a little unwieldy and edgy, and that is what I was looking for: "a car that requires skill and which can kill you if you're not careful".
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 12:17 PM   #8
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
I actually don't think the M5 is the right answer for you. From reading your post a few things struck me:
3) You seem to value acceleration from a dig, but I don't read any points in your post about appreciating RWD benefits like purity of steering, ability to oversteer, cornering.

1) You will struggle with tire spin while accelerating and be disappointed with that
2) You will either have an accident or more likely a close call by flooring the throttle in M2 mode and losing the tail.

You would probably have the same issues with the M3 but not as bad. My sense though is that you should get a used RS7.

I can't comment for the others, but I got my M5 after a long-line of high performance rear wheel drive cars, including manuals, and I knew it would be a little unwieldy and edgy, and that is what I was looking for: "a car that requires skill and which can kill you if you're not careful".
I'll add this to what Stealth said, a BMW Performance Driving School Instructor once told me that the F10 M5 was the only car he really had to respect, no other car (at that time) possessed such lethality.

I myself have disrespected the M5's torque once or twice, the only reason I'm still here to talk about it is because I was extremely lucky and I have the necessary skills as Stealth refers to.

Your life will be easier if you just get the RS7, especially if you live in the Northeast United States. Way easier to win stop light races with the RS7 too.

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 12:59 PM   #9
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep

He lives in AZ. I think all the roads are straight But RP and SP make good points.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 01:14 PM   #10
AT LAW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 550xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_M5Guy View Post
You can lease a 2014 M5 for under $800 month
I dissent.

I have yet to find a 2014 leftover for less than $1,300 per month / $0 down / 10k miles / 36 mos.
      02-19-2015, 02:12 PM   #11
PunjabiM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Talk about making some tool comments. My R8 is 90/10 RWD bias and at most transfers 30% to the front wheels. I have owned two e46 M3s, 997 C2S, e92 M3, e82 1M, all of which as I'm sure you know are RWD. Just because I currently don't own a RWD car doesn't mean shit to be honest. I really don't appreciate generalizations such as you made in your comments, as your sense really has no merit behind it in this case.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 02:24 PM   #12
PunjabiM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bönz View Post
He lives in AZ. I think all the roads are straight But RP and SP make good points.
Incorrect. Have you ever been to AZ?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 06:01 PM   #13
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep

Dude. You cannot blame SP for his comments as you didn't provide all the information. You asked for help and we are trying to help. Yes I have been to AZ. Learn to read sarcasm. You are being the tool.

Good luck on your purchase and with your baby.
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2015, 06:19 PM   #14
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunjabiM3
Quote:

Talk about making some tool comments. My R8 is 90/10 RWD bias and at most transfers 30% to the front wheels. I have owned two e46 M3s, 997 C2S, e92 M3, e82 1M, all of which as I'm sure you know are RWD. Just because I currently don't own a RWD car doesn't mean shit to be honest. I really don't appreciate generalizations such as you made in your comments, as your sense really has no merit behind it in this case.
The lack of civility in your post shows that you don't belong on this board.

I've added you to the ignore list and encourage others to do the same.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 06:21 PM   #15
PunjabiM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bönz View Post
Dude. You cannot blame SP for his comments as you didn't provide all the information. You asked for help and we are trying to help. Yes I have been to AZ. Learn to read sarcasm. You are being the tool.

Good luck on your purchase and with your baby.
There is no need to provide a book on all the cars I have owned, RWD or otherwise, my quite extensive experience of driving, and basically a personal attack from another forum member. Coming out and saying basically that oh you have no RWD cars, you can't handle a M5 based on your current stable, and that you will most likely crash it therefore you should get the RS7 is completely uncalled for with no substance or merit to it period. Hence my reason to call SP a tool for his comments and absolutely He is to blame for that comment. If he can read my sig and see I have a R8 5.2 6MT along with my X5 and A6, how does he miss the line underneath which is ALL RWD cars I have owned. I tell you I have thousands of posts on this board, m3forum, bimmerforums, 6speedonline, r8talk, but seems that this board seriously has the most bias towards a brand of any forum out there. Very unfortunate. For those that can contribute something positive please feel free to share and get the thread back on topic. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 06:23 PM   #16
PunjabiM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The lack of civility in your post shows that you don't belong on this board.

I've added you to the ignore list and encourage others to do the same.
Wonderful. I applaud you.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 06:45 PM   #17
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:

+1000
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 06:46 PM   #18
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunjabiM3 View Post
The itch has come to get a new daily driver in the near future. Currently our daily drivers are a 2012 Audi A6 3.0T and a 2015 X5 35d. The X5 is pretty new to the stable and has been awesome, and will be a long term keeper (4-5 yrs). The A6 I bought new three years ago and have put 35k miles on it thus far, all problem free. It is actually a great daily with ample power, but I feel the time has come to replace it with something more fun, meaning more power and better handling.

Some cars I am thinking about: ED on new M3, used 2013-14 M5, used RS7, possibly upcoming GSF (mostly due to Lexus reliability, build quality, and likely relative rareness of the vehicle). On the Lexus I would have to wait to see it in the flesh and drive it before passing judgment. Initial thought is that it won't be nearly as fun as the rest. I think the M3 will be the most fun due to it obviously being a smaller and lightweight car compared to the rest. ED is something I have been wanting to do for a while, but not sure if it will be possible as we are building a new house and also are trying to have kid #2. So if my wife does indeed being pregnant probably not a good idea to go unless I went myself or took a buddy with me. I also think the car may be a bit small given it will hopefully be four of us soon, though we do have the X5. Other minor quirks is M3 has no option for ACC and the I6TT doesn't sound all that great.

So that leaves the two used options to discuss: the M5 and the RS7. Pros of the RS7: traction, hence acceleration from a dig, limited production compared to M5, therefore will have much better resale value in the future. I don't like the fact that Audi does not have full leather dashboard, plus I assume it will have more turbo lag due to 4.0L running higher boost than the larger motor of the M5.

Now on the M5, I think a 2014 with competition pack would be the ideal one to get. But given the scenario that it will be used mostly for just daily driving and hauling around the family, do you think it is worth spending the premium to get a 2014 comp pack versus getting a nicely optioned 2013? Also, how much more will the values tank compared to say going the ED M3 route? Historically the M3 holds its value much better. Any input and advice is greatly appreciated. I probably won't be pulling the trigger until late summer or Fall at the earliest.
Hi buddy
I recall our conversation months ago when i called your R8 entry luxury and you got defensive... you are doing the same thing here.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 06:53 PM   #19
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep

Quote:
There is no need to provide a book on all the cars I have owned, RWD or otherwise, my quite extensive experience of driving, and basically a personal attack from another forum member. Coming out and saying basically that oh you have no RWD cars, you can't handle a M5 based on your current stable, and that you will most likely crash it therefore you should get the RS7 is completely uncalled for with no substance or merit to it period. Hence my reason to call SP a tool for his comments and absolutely He is to blame for that comment. If he can read my sig and see I have a R8 5.2 6MT along with my X5 and A6, how does he miss the line underneath which is ALL RWD cars I have owned. I tell you I have thousands of posts on this board, m3forum, bimmerforums, 6speedonline, r8talk, but seems that this board seriously has the most bias towards a brand of any forum out there. Very unfortunate. For those that can contribute something positive please feel free to share and get the thread back on topic. Thanks.
Non of your cars can transfer this much power and torque to rear wheel. This is his point. Calm down and read the people's comment again
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 07:07 PM   #20
PunjabiM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe View Post
Hi buddy
I recall our conversation months ago when i called your R8 entry luxury and you got defensive... you are doing the same thing here.
I still stand behind my statement: would much rather have my "entry level" exotic than a M6. Of course one will be defensive on a personal attack. Do you just take lay down when someone says something about you that is not true?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 07:09 PM   #21
PunjabiM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe View Post
Non of your cars can transfer this much power and torque to rear wheel. This is his point. Calm down and read the people's comment again
Still nothing to do with the thread topic. 4500 lb car with 500 ft lb torque is not the end all.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 07:44 PM   #22
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I still stand behind my statement: would much rather have my "entry level" exotic than a M6. Of course one will be defensive on a personal attack. Do you just take lay down when someone says something about you that is not true?
LOL... I didn't ask you to get M6, did I? and I still respect you if you love or hate either R8 or M6 .... and why do you take this as personal attack? Have you designed and produced the R8 by yourself ?

Quote:
Still nothing to do with the thread topic. 4500 lb car with 500 ft lb torque is not the end all.
That's exactly the point. Comparing your experience of your ~4000 lb 310 HP (AWD?) A6 or 4900lb 255HP X5 35d (which is assumed to be AWD based on BMWUSA website) , or all under 450HP and around 300 lb-ft torque RWD cars you used to own (E46 M3, E92 M3, 997 C2S, E82 1M) with M5, the S63tu engine under the hood of 4400 lb M5 generates 600+ HP and 550+ lb-ft and transfers ~7500 lb-ft of torque to “rear wheels” at first gear … I wish you understand the difference between these numbers and your previous experiences
Appreciate 0