BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

03-05-2013, 02:19 PM   #45
Sharpie12
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5 SG/SO

Lol youre right. i was doing more than 1 thing at the time and i didn't even put the two together
      03-05-2013, 02:24 PM   #46
Ak3249
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F12 M6 Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpie12 View Post
Lol youre right. i was doing more than 1 thing at the time and i didn't even put the two together
Hahaha no prob. Better to be busy than having nothin to do.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 04:38 PM   #47
M3PGH
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Stats tell us about trends and averages, so in general younger drivers are more reckless than older drivers, having said that younger drivers can be very responsible much more than older ones depending on their maturity level. I have 2 boys one 23 and drives an STI, the other one is 17 and drives an EVO. I currently drive an M5 and in the past drove an E92 M3, C63 AMG, and GTR. I have allowed both my boys to drive all the cars I have owned, and I do believe it made them more responsible and accelerated their maturity. Bottom line a kid can flip a honda civic and I have seen it happen.
just my 2 cents
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 04:50 PM   #48
M-bitious
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

I am sure there are a lot of responsible young people and some have given the right examples here. But we are all car enthusiasts here and that should probably make for more responisble drivers. Still in the USA we are looking at millions of drivers and it is a fact that the younger generation has more accidents.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 05:03 PM   #49
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: McLaren 675LT / C7 Z07

Agreed. You would have to be one naive parent to think that your kids act the same way in front of you as they do alone in a 500+ HP car. Doesn't mean they are not fine kids but in the end they are KIDS.

Last edited by ColdList; 03-05-2013 at 07:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 06:09 PM   #50
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
I only think a kid that age should have an M5 if he is a professional racing driver, or has otherwise completed track training and shown himself to have better car control and maturity than someone much older.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 06:11 PM   #51
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak3249 View Post
I'm currently 19 and am fortunate enough to have the new M6 Cab. As long as you respect what the car can do you'll be fine. Speaking from personal experience it gets annoying when everyone thinks your driving your dads car and make remarks about it. But hey I'm not complaining at the end of the day I'm lucky enough to drive home in an M6. In my opinion it's a decision you have to make yourself.
Hey if you earned the money for the car yourself without borrowing your dads assets, name or connections, then you're probably well known enough that no one should think you are driving your dads car. I doubt Sebastian Vettel had this issue when he was 19, nor Mark Zuckerburg. And if the odd clueless person thought that I doubt they cared. On the other hand if it bothers one then maybe it is at some level true.

Last edited by stealth.pilot; 03-05-2013 at 06:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 06:28 PM   #52
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerstar
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterB27 View Post
How weird would a 19 year old look driving an M5?
Depends on how mature he is, Im very close to that age. As long as you know your ''limits''.
Agree and you are a pretty talented driver.

But I know in London every spring when the investment banks pay out their bonuses, some young VP gets a Ferrari as his first car and crashes it.

It helps to have spent a couple of years going through the ranks and learning to use the power.

I got my first M3 when I was 24. But before that I had a Vauxhall Astra, Toyota Corolla, BMW 328ic and BMW 330ci. I learned car control on those cars before getting a more lethal car.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 06:35 PM   #53
BMWM5NYC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 Monte Carlo Blue M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdList View Post
I think people aren't really reading those stats...in an 8 year span between ages 16-24 there were 74 accidents. In a 9 year span between 25-34 there was 24. Quite a difference. In a 49 year span between 25-74 there were 62. I t does NOT mean that everyone is irresponsible and conversely responsible. Any one of us could have a horrible accident at any time. Statistically however, younger drivers have more issues and I would see that as pretty good reason for concern about what type of responsibilities should be placed in their hands. I do not believe in RESTRICTING anyone but that does not mean the opinions are invalid. Adults have life experiences that children should benefit and learn from. It is a child's natural inclination to rebel. At 19 you are children. Don't take issue with that statement. Enjoy being young and if you do have one of these cars then be extremely careful to resist your instincts. We adults will remain validly concerned. My child will drive a safe vehicle (likely a truck) until he has proven that he deserves a sportier vehicle, based upon how he demonstrates responsibility. And that has zero to do with having money. Many people that I know, adults included, have plenty of money and zero responsibility. Funny how it often has the opposite effect.

When you are YOUNG you THINK you know EVERYTHING. As you age you realize you DON'T KNOW S**T. You will kick and scream about this statement now but if you write it down and put it in your top drawer you can revisit it at 35 yrs old and smile. Every single one of us 35+ knows this without exception.

Did he call people above the younger years "elderly"?-lol!
Very well said.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 07:17 PM   #54
Tylerstar
Captain
Rep
Drives: Straight Piped F10 M5, GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
Agree and you are a pretty talented driver.

But I know in London every spring when the investment banks pay out their bonuses, some young VP gets a Ferrari as his first car and crashes it.

It helps to have spent a couple of years going through the ranks and learning to use the power.

I got my first M3 when I was 24. But before that I had a Vauxhall Astra, Toyota Corolla, BMW 328ic and BMW 330ci. I learned car control on those cars before getting a more lethal car.
Thanks stealth, like this guy? Hahahah

http://www.carscoops.com/2013/02/dut...rrari-458.html

He crashed it one hour after he got it.

In another post he said "Have to take driving lessons,458 is a monster compared to the R8"

Couldn't handle all that RWDHP, HHAHAHA.

Last edited by Tylerstar; 03-05-2013 at 07:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 01:11 AM   #55
M-bitious
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

He was being ironic about it. He already owned an M6 and an R8 for years. He decided it was better to go public on his accident, as he is so well known.
He is now driving around in a blue 458 spider.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 01:51 AM   #56
Tylerstar
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-bitious View Post
He was being ironic about it. He already owned an M6 and an R8 for years. He decided it was better to go public on his accident, as he is so well known.
He is now driving around in a blue 458 spider.
Im sure he was, that doesn't change the fact he still crashed it. LOL.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 01:56 AM   #57
M-bitious
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

But you don't know why.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 02:27 AM   #58
Tylerstar
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-bitious View Post
But you don't know why.
He was driving in the wet and put to much power to the back wheels which then caused him to lose control. Case closed.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 02:34 AM   #59
M-bitious
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Nope, that's not what happened
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 08:19 AM   #60
secretariat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Some people on this board have commented that if the 19 year old worked hard for the M5 than that's cool. If i put every dime away that I made from say 12 years old delivering papers, working in McDonald's and all other kinds of crappy jobs, I wouldn't come close to having enough money for an M5 (F10). Where are these funds coming from. 19 years old and your driving an M5. Are these cars pre-owned or are you 19 year olds walking into BMW dealerships and purchasing a brand new M5. If it's brand new where did you earn that kind of cash. Or was it earned? If daddy bought it because you graduated from high school than it is daddy's car.

I say God bless if it's earned, but be careful.If you're 19 and driving around in a new M5, what in the world will you be driving when you're thirty?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 08:21 AM   #61
Sharpie12
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Im 25 years old now and I'm on my third M5...my last 4 cars have been two E60 M5's my E71 X6 5.0 and now my F10 M5...I drove my first M5 like an idiot! I had come from an E60 530I and when I drove the M5 it was a completely different world. I drove it in S6 all the time and would mash the throttle at every light. I never crashed due to my reckless driving but I was lucky that I didn't. I did highway pulls a few times and drove over 120mph almost every time I was on the highway. I step on the throttle sometimes even now but I am a completely different driver than when I was 21, which is when I had my first E60.
      03-06-2013, 09:51 PM   #62
nugent
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpie12
Im 25 years old now and I'm on my third M5...my last 4 cars have been two E60 M5's my E71 X6 5.0 and now my F10 M5...I drove my first M5 like an idiot! I had come from an E60 530I and when I drove the M5 it was a completely different world. I drove it in S6 all the time and would mash the throttle at every light. I never crashed due to my reckless driving but I was lucky that I didn't. I did highway pulls a few times and drove over 120mph almost every time I was on the highway. I step on the throttle sometimes even now but I am a completely different driver than when I was 21, which is when I had my first E60.
and how did you finance all these cars you supposedly had?

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 08:18 AM   #63
Sharpie12
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugent View Post
and how did you finance all these cars you supposedly had?
With cash down and financed the rest, supposedly. I'm not a troll or internet warrior, i get nothing from posting lies around the internet.

from first to last

enjoy

you can even see the 530i in the background of the first picture lol

Last edited by Sharpie12; 03-07-2013 at 08:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 08:47 AM   #64
nybimmerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6-Spd Manual MCB M5

Being responsible is something that can be instilled even to the young and I for one was once a responsible teen due to proper teaching/training. It is similar to teaching the young the difference between good and evil. There are young people who are responsible and irresponsible much like older people, although I might say that older people have it easier as with age comes wisdom due to having had more experiences (good or bad). This wisdom somehow translates to having more responsibility. I salute the young people and respect them -- those who show responsility behind the wheels -- I would gladly share the road with them and have them drive an M5 or even an ENZO for that matter!
      03-07-2013, 10:28 AM   #65
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Dudes, this topic is almost irrelavent. There are probably less than 0.001% of 19 year olds on the planet that currently own or are able to afford an F10 M5. Instead there is a much higher percentage of 19 year olds and those people around that age who own E60 M5's, which is equally a powerful car that must be in the right hands. The M5 has always been a bargain supercar which makes it appealing to those younger people who have a little money to get a really fast car.

Admittedly, I still drive a little immaturely at times, but I know when and where. I'm 33 myself and I'm pretty sure that I am the youngest F10 M5 owner in Southern California that I know of. I know dozens of F10 and F12 owners in the region and they are all either in their mid to late 30's, 40's, or 50's. Yet I do have a lot of control that I did not used to have as a kid. I guess I'm kind of typical for the American demographic though, my car ownership has genesised from humble beginnings. Starting with a 1986 Ford Mustang when I was 18. But I digress. I still definitely punch it from time to time when the situation looks safe, but I now follow a few personal rules that I strictly adhere to when driving the M5.

1. Never speed onto the highway after exiting an on ramp. I will punch it on the on ramp itself but at the end I let off the throttle or brake to gentle enter the highway. I've seen too many times people speed on to the highway too aggressively and low and behold there just happens to be Highway Patrol already on the highway just cruising and he pops on his lights behind you.

2. Never speed on the highway at night. You can't see who's behind you when it's dark.

3. At every single traffic intersection and and every single stop sign, I'm ALWAYS checking for police.

4. As a military pilot we have what's called Situational Awareness or SA as we like acronyms in the military. Most people get pulled over because they are simply are not paying attention to what's going on around their car outside. It doesn't matter if I'm doing 5mph in a parking lot or 150mph on a mountain road I ALWAYS know what is going on 1 mile ahead of me and a 1 mile behind me.

5. Stay out of the left lane on the highway as much as possible. It's proven statistic that over 70% of people that get pulled over are in the left lane.

6. Never speed on the highway when you can't see at least mile down the road. This means never speeding when the highway is turning or going up a hill.

7. Finally, always get out of the way of idiot drivers by slowing down and letting them pass. On a few occasions I've even pulled over to the shoulder for a minute on the highway just to get some distance from them. Never use the M5's power to get your distance away from them.

All of these things I have only learned through experience and through the discipline I gained from my experience of getting pulled over. I've had a lot of tickets in my youth and I can tell you that every one of those times I got pulled over I was breaking one of those rules I just mentioned. Expecting a 19 year old or someone around that age to have the discipline to follow these kinds of rules in any car let alone a powerful ///M, I think is expecting too much. I haven't had a ticket in over 7 years and have never been in a car accident.

Ok rant over.

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 11:50 AM   #66
matthewEW
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi TT RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
All of these things I have only learned through experience and through the discipline I gained from my experience of getting pulled over. I've had a lot of tickets in my youth and I can tell you that every one of those times I got pulled over I was breaking one of those rules I just mentioned. Expecting a 19 year old or someone around that age to have the discipline to follow these kinds of rules in any car let alone a powerful ///M, I think is expecting too much. I haven't had a ticket in over 7 years and have never been in a car accident.
I learned how to drive at 17. Got my first car, a hand me down from my dad at 21 -- a 1996 Testarossa 512Ms (which was sold), my current everyday car is the Audi TT RS and just recently bought with my own money the 2013 Manual M5 -- and I am only 27 years old. In the 10 years that I have been driving the only ticket I got is an expired parking meter from a town in Long Island that I've never been but I still pled guilty and paid the fine just for expediency. I consider myself very responsible which is something I did not get due to the experience of being pulled over due to traffic infractions as what RPMi5 may be inferring as "learning from experience." I was trained properly have had the proper driving upbringing and know what is legal and illegal.
Appreciate 0