darrko
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5 Comp. Ed.

Garage List
2016 BMW M5  [0.00]
Help! Need advice after minor accident - confused about insurance & repairs

Hey guys, was just in a minor run-in with another vehicle, I am fairly sure it was my fault but to be honest I cannot recall if the guy had his blinkers on when he turned into the street I was exiting from. He says he did. His right door, my right bumper. I have a cracked headlight and paint scuffs on the bumper and a slight bend in the fender body near where it meets the bumper.

This is my very first time with an accident in the UK and I have no clue on how to go about this.

The vehicle is financed through BMW Financials which expires later this year. Do I need to notify them about this? Do I need to notify my insurance company even if I am not making a claim? Someone advised me to make the claim if the damage is worth more than £1,000 which I am thinking it might be. How much might my premium go up if I make the claim?

I don't want to go the insurance claim route as its my first year and I don't want to lose the no claim bonus, so I'm paying for both vehicle damage. What's the best place for me to get my M5 sorted? I was leaning towards BMW Battersea as I've been there before for a warranty issue when I first got the car but no idea if they are any good with repairs. The headlight definitely needs to be repaired.....the front cover is cracked, can they just replace that cover? The headlight body appears intact. The bumper repairs are minor, it would appear that it needs a repaint.

What kind of cost estimate am I looking at? I'm looking for someone who could do it fast and properly. Would going to BMW be more expensive? Which BMW centre would be best for this? I'm in West London.

Thanks guys, I'm still struggling to figure out how I could be so damn stupid as the accident was totally avoidable. Any help in moving on from this would be highly appreciated.

P.S.
Sorry for the double post, I really need help urgently and no one is responding on the Repairs & Maintenance forum.
Attached Images

2020 Porsche 911 Carrera S (retired)
2023 X5 xDrive45e
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2017, 11:41 AM   #2
VoytekM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

In America I would not file a claim for a small accident. It will show on carfax and when you sell you will lose more than the claim in value. We don't have to report anything to anyone other than our insurance company. They handle everything.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2017, 02:03 PM   #3
darrko
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoytekM5 View Post
In America I would not file a claim for a small accident. It will show on carfax and when you sell you will lose more than the claim in value. We don't have to report anything to anyone other than our insurance company. They handle everything.
Yeah so I'm confused if I still need to inform my insurance company even if I do not intend to make a claim. I'm new to the UK and don't know many people who can guide me on this.

Thanks for your response!
2023 X5 xDrive45e
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2017, 10:21 PM   #4
Maverick997
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Black Saphire Metalic

If you're paying to fix both cars and the other party isn't pressing any additional claims I would not see a need to report to the insurance company or finance company. Just make sure if you go that way that you cover yourself with the other party that repairing his car closes any and all claims.....insurance companies will give you the legal back up that there won't be any residual action against you but you will obviously loose your no claims bonus and your rates likely may rise......
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2017, 11:45 PM   #5
bimmer-boy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330 e46 Vert, Bmw ind F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrko View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoytekM5 View Post
Yeah so I'm confused if I still need to inform my insurance company even if I do not intend to make a claim. I'm new to the UK and don't know many people who can guide me on this.

Thanks for your response!
You don't need to inform either of your insurance companies if the matter is being dealt with privately by both parties. Just be clear with the other person that you will cover his repairs at a mutually agreed garage to have the work carried out.

As for costs, your best bet would be to take it to a few dealerships or good independent places if you know any, just to get a gauge on costs.

Malcolm X
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 06:38 AM   #6
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

repairing the bumper, fender (painting both) isn't too bad. That headlight will be costly, that i can guarantee.

If not going thru insurance pretty sure you do not have to notify them (at least in US)
There is no set premium hike for an accident (again, over here)
If you care about resale, shelll out the money and fix. Be aware, that headlight is going to be very expensive.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 07:01 AM   #7
darrko
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick997 View Post
If you're paying to fix both cars and the other party isn't pressing any additional claims I would not see a need to report to the insurance company or finance company. Just make sure if you go that way that you cover yourself with the other party that repairing his car closes any and all claims.....insurance companies will give you the legal back up that there won't be any residual action against you but you will obviously loose your no claims bonus and your rates likely may rise......
Thanks for your input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer-boy View Post
You don't need to inform either of your insurance companies if the matter is being dealt with privately by both parties. Just be clear with the other person that you will cover his repairs at a mutually agreed garage to have the work carried out.

As for costs, your best bet would be to take it to a few dealerships or good independent places if you know any, just to get a gauge on costs.
I'm wondering if I should take it to a BMW service centre or another independent authorised shop....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
repairing the bumper, fender (painting both) isn't too bad. That headlight will be costly, that i can guarantee.

If not going thru insurance pretty sure you do not have to notify them (at least in US)
There is no set premium hike for an accident (again, over here)
If you care about resale, shelll out the money and fix. Be aware, that headlight is going to be very expensive.
When you say 'very expensive' exactly what should I expect? The headlight is working fine its just the front shield that's cracked. Is that replaceable?
2023 X5 xDrive45e
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 08:04 PM   #8
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrko View Post
Thanks for your input!

I'm wondering if I should take it to a BMW service centre or another independent authorised shop....

When you say 'very expensive' exactly what should I expect? The headlight is working fine its just the front shield that's cracked. Is that replaceable?

that light itself is over 1k, (US) not that shield isn't replaceable
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 03:08 AM   #9
darrko
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
that light itself is over 1k, (US) not that shield isn't replaceable
Oh man
2023 X5 xDrive45e
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 08:19 AM   #10
KFERI
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 F10 M5

West London take the car to BMW HR Owen in Acton and ask for Tony great service advisor. They do great work, repaired my E92 M3 when reversed into a pillar yes yes I know FML. They also do great service on my current M5 and very attentive.
I would call up and get their email address and send them pictures for a rough estimate via email.

If you are covering the cost and the other driver is cool with this, I would not bother to tell the insurance company as they will destroy you on the premium till the end of time. however make sure the other driver wont take you to court for injury or lose of earning, I would ask them to sign a statement just in case.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 03:53 AM   #11
darrko
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KFERI View Post
West London take the car to BMW HR Owen in Acton and ask for Tony great service advisor. They do great work, repaired my E92 M3 when reversed into a pillar yes yes I know FML. They also do great service on my current M5 and very attentive.
I would call up and get their email address and send them pictures for a rough estimate via email.
Thanks for this, got in touch and now waiting for estimate.

Quote:
If you are covering the cost and the other driver is cool with this, I would not bother to tell the insurance company as they will destroy you on the premium till the end of time. however make sure the other driver wont take you to court for injury or lose of earning, I would ask them to sign a statement just in case.
It didn't work out, the other party decided to go through insurance so I had to inform mine. Its under process now. Bummer.
2023 X5 xDrive45e
Appreciate 0