04-15-2013, 08:13 AM   #23
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainly View Post
you cant even really tell by the pics that its a different color. try to photograph it without all the reflections.

as far as the sunroof goes. id definitely have paid to NOT have it.

the most useless feature ever. especially on an ///M car!!!
It really is a gloss black. There are a lot of reflections, (it's nature's version of the camouflage tape that BMW uses when test driving unreleased new models) but there is a distinct difference from the gray of the A pillar to the black of the roof. Not difficult to see if you look.

You can pay NOT to have it, maybe this is for you?
http://parts.ind-distribution.com/catalog/BMW%20F10%20M5^000173.php?Opt1=&Opt2=000118
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 08:30 AM   #24
Rob///M5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 SSII

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainly

as far as the sunroof goes...the most useless feature ever.
Haha. I think that depends upon where you live mainly.
      04-15-2013, 08:39 AM   #25
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by (H) View Post
Spacegray was my absolute favorite (wanted it with Silverstone II extended interior) but then simply wasn't patient enough to wait and went with an inventory Singapore Grey with black interior.

I actually decided to put the reflectors back in. I now think that adding some "street" detail helps bring out the mod details.
And of course I am a sucker for your 19" wheels. I really prefer them over the 20inchers. Can't help it.
I originally ordered the Space Gray to blend in with the crowd of other models in the 5 series that also have the SG to be more low key, but with the great performance of the M. But I can't help putting some personalizing touches on the car, and am even thinking of (gasp!!) pin stripes. If done they'll be subtle, following body lines, but I think it might look good, to me at least. And I'm fairly sure that I will be having the body work done to remove the rear red reflectors, they just don't fit for me. And with the SG color I do like the front yellow/orange reflectors as an accent. Doesn't work with all the paint colors, but pleasant for me on the SG. And a USA signature, for better or for worse......

I do love the stock 19s, but it would be nice if an aftermarket company would step up with a good looking forged 19" for options in the wheel area. The M6 19" wheels are forged I've been told, but the rear with the 19mm offset would require fender mods to fit I believe.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 11:16 AM   #26
Bob MG
Moderating
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: like a muppet

brilliant mod. Something I would do and I really have class when it comes to modding

And modesty also
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 11:18 AM   #27
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob MG View Post
brilliant mod. Something I would do and I really have class when it comes to modding

And modesty also
Who would have guessed
      04-15-2013, 10:12 PM   #28
gds52
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe, BMW 328i E93 Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used2be View Post
My intentions were not to create a fake effect but to provide a visual effect that is more pleasing to my eye. Had no thought of a glass roof, or a carbon fiber roof, but if you wish to think of those when you see a car with a black roof, that is certainly your prerogative. One benefit from the black color that I hadn't foreseen was that the sunroof now blends in and almost disappears when it's closed. I'm sure many people think just buying any model of BMW is vanity, much less the M5. Oh, and oddly enough I'm kind of beginning to like the contrast of the orange reflectors in the front with the Space Gray color, but may have the rear red reflectors removed and fill in the body panel so it's flush rather than use IND's replacements.
Looks cool
The sunroof completely blends in.
Personally these orange reflectors never bother me. I dont know why ppl hate them
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 09:09 AM   #29
bm5bullit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warehouser View Post
Had mine wrapped 2 times, both times came out looking like crap. With gloss black it showed every imperfection from small bumps to stretch marks. I had my roof painted gloss black (also did the mouldings) and love the contrast.
Exactly why I would not wrap mine. The guys doing the wrap must have mad skills, average won't cut it.
2020 Chev. ZR2 Bison truck, Daily Driver
Appreciate 0